Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV Flatbed scanners - 03/30/09 06:08 AM
Hey, gang. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, but I do want to get a new scanner (I don't even remember what happened to my previous one--it's been a number of years). What's really motivating me is that I want better scans of album artwork for a lot of my music than what I can find online. There will be other uses, of course, but I don't anticipate needing to scan film or negatives. I'm looking at this Canon:

Canon CanoScan 8800F Color Film/Negative/Photo Scanner (2168B002)

Even this may be overkill. I just don't want to skimp and get something I'm unsatisfied with. I like the idea of LED illumination so warm-up time isn't an issue. The customer reviews are pretty positive and plentiful.

Do you think I'm on the right track? Should I look to save money with another model, or do you think there's another one out there that will fit my needs but has a better suite of software with it?

I appreciate any help I can get.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Flatbed scanners - 03/30/09 11:23 AM
Charles, I can't help too specifically on any particular scanner though I can tell you that Canon and Epson both have very good reputations for consumer units. I just bought a PERFECTION V500 PHOTO SCANNER because I was able to get it for $120... and it was worth it to get as a backup. My employee has been happy with it the few times she's used it...but I can't say it's better or worse than the Canon.

I know, not much help... \:\(
Posted By: Murph Re: Flatbed scanners - 03/30/09 11:44 AM
I don't know much about scanners but I can tell you that there has been an Epson here at work that started out scanning photo IDs for a Digital Web Cert system and it's still working after 8 years. We are no longer in the Digital Web Cert business for the Gov. anymore so it mostly scans old photographs for office pranks now.
Posted By: CV Re: Flatbed scanners - 03/30/09 02:19 PM
The Epson V500 was actually the other one I was looking at. Thanks for the nearly-useful second-hand review. \:D
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Flatbed scanners - 03/30/09 04:11 PM
I've got the V350. It seems to work pretty well, although the software is nothing to write home about.
Posted By: CV Re: Flatbed scanners - 03/30/09 04:51 PM
That seemed to be the complaint against the V500, that the software wasn't the best. I'm sure it would be enough for my uses, but still, if I can get something better, then why not, right?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Flatbed scanners - 03/30/09 06:37 PM
Yeah, but you're not going to find much that is better. Generally, the free software with scanners is pretty crummy.
© Axiom Message Boards