Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Easter dinner - 04/13/09 05:33 AM
Yummy!

I did a 4lb eye round roast (beef), slathered with horseradish mustard and then completely encased in kosher salt. Roasted in the oven for 28 minutes (7 min per lb) at 500°F, then I turned the oven off and left the roast in for about 2 1/2 more hours. It turned out perfectly pink, juicy, and delicious.

For the veggie, I sauteed whole asparagus in butter, salt, and pepper, then when almost done I added a bit of pineapple juice to make a glaze. This turned out super-tasty.

The starch was sweet potatoes with butter.

To wash it all down, the kids got pineapple juice, but my wife and I had the Stone Ruination IPA I picked up yesterday. It's truly one of the best IPAs around.

Perfect meal. We even had it on the "fancy" tablecloth. \:\)
Posted By: JohnK Re: Easter dinner - 04/13/09 06:12 AM
What, no kielbasa??
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Easter dinner - 04/13/09 06:18 AM
What's the difference between slathered and lathered?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Easter dinner - 04/13/09 10:14 AM
"s".

And when you lather, you have to "rinse and repeat"!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Easter dinner - 04/13/09 12:00 PM
John, I haven't tried to locate a proper Polish deli yet. And Hillshire Farm kielbasa just isn't right.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Easter dinner - 04/13/09 12:02 PM
We had a wonderful easter dinner at my grandparents with fire roasted lamb and just about every kind of side dish and bottle of wine you can imagine!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Easter dinner - 04/13/09 03:51 PM
Ours was delicious, too.

The diners were me, Mrs Tuttle, the two Tuttle-ettes, and their three surviving grandparents. Perfect.

We had a beef rib roast, also perfect (seared then baked at 250F until ~130F, I think). Juicy and delicious. Accompaniments included warm sourdough baguette, Yancey's Fancy Bergenost (a Norwegian style triple cream cheese), oven roasted tomatoes with fresh mozzarella, herbs and garlic, roasted Yukon Gold potatoes, and peas with butter. We washed it down with a couple bottles of tremendous Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley. Dessert was fresh strawberries, homemade Orange Sherbet and homemade lemon cake, with a bottle of Lindeman's Framboise.

Pre-feast beverages included Lomza Premium and Malt Liquor (from Poland - very nice), Port Brewing Fresh Hop IPA, The Dissident (A Flanders-style Oud Bruin from Deschutes) which was rare and wonderful in its sourness, and Port Townsend Porter which was really great in a Black Butte kind of way. I am very grateful to have my father-in-law to enjoy these beverage delicacies with.
Posted By: Wid Re: Easter dinner - 04/13/09 04:04 PM

I smoked a cured ham (with hickory) we got from the meat locker when we ordered a half hog. It turned out pretty darn good if I say so myself. I took it to my brothers house for Easter dinner. The rest of dinner was pretty simple with green beans a cheesy potato dish, salad and chocolate cream pie (store bought) for desert.
Posted By: RickF Re: Easter dinner - 04/13/09 08:47 PM
Nothing fancy at all here, the lovely wife and I had shrimp and vegetable skewers on the grill, *after* I got home from work in the late afternoon, of course.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Easter dinner - 04/14/09 01:09 AM
The Kielbasa Factory ?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Easter dinner - 04/14/09 03:31 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Ours was delicious, too.

The diners were me, Mrs Tuttle, the two Tuttle-ettes, and their three surviving grandparents. Perfect.

We had a beef rib roast, also perfect (seared then baked at 250F until ~130F, I think). Juicy and delicious. Accompaniments included warm sourdough baguette, Yancey's Fancy Bergenost (a Norwegian style triple cream cheese), oven roasted tomatoes with fresh mozzarella, herbs and garlic, roasted Yukon Gold potatoes, and peas with butter. We washed it down with a couple bottles of tremendous Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley. Dessert was fresh strawberries, homemade Orange Sherbet and homemade lemon cake, with a bottle of Lindeman's Framboise.

Pre-feast beverages included Lomza Premium and Malt Liquor (from Poland - very nice), Port Brewing Fresh Hop IPA, The Dissident (A Flanders-style Oud Bruin from Deschutes) which was rare and wonderful in its sourness, and Port Townsend Porter which was really great in a Black Butte kind of way. I am very grateful to have my father-in-law to enjoy these beverage delicacies with.

Tom, I'm coming over to your house next Easter!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Easter dinner - 04/14/09 03:56 AM
John, looks like that would be my only choice. Perhaps I should get closer to my Chicago relatives. I'm sure the choices are better up there. \:\)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Easter dinner - 04/14/09 03:22 PM
I think we should all go to Wid's house. I'll bring the beer.
Posted By: Wid Re: Easter dinner - 04/14/09 05:39 PM

I'll let ya know when the new smoker comes in \:\)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Easter dinner - 04/14/09 06:52 PM
<----- (looking around for the drooling emoticon...)
Posted By: merchman Re: Easter dinner - 04/14/09 10:13 PM
When is that new smoker suppose to arrive Rick? I gotta start planning my road trip south ya know.
Posted By: framer2180 Re: Easter dinner - 04/14/09 10:24 PM
Rick,

What are you getting for a smoker.

Greg
Posted By: Wid Re: Easter dinner - 04/14/09 10:56 PM
Eddy,I got an email from Horizon yesterday that it should be shipped by Friday. You are, as are all of the Axiom community, welcome to stop by anytime ya want.

Greg. I ordered a 20 inch classic from Horizon. I also got a few of the upgrades which are a second shelf, convection plate, counterweight for the door and a warming plate on the fire box.
Posted By: merchman Re: Easter dinner - 04/14/09 11:17 PM
Excellent. I will start looking at the calendar and get back to you. I'll bring my m3's for fun. Your Rotel can give them a proper workout. Maybe I'll have to pick up an Axiom 1400-2 to compare how it interacts with our m80's \:o Could be a good time.
Posted By: Wid Re: Easter dinner - 04/14/09 11:41 PM

Let's do it.
© Axiom Message Boards