Axiom Home Page
I really like this article from Giz this morning. The writer came in as a skeptic but came away understanding 'our' obsession.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5213042/why-we-need-audiophiles

Fremer's our own little audio Col Jessup...

nice, thanks for the link
Posted By: CV Re: Good points in Gizmodo's audiophile article - 04/15/09 05:51 PM
Yeah, thanks for the link. I'm still skeptical of Fremer's ability to hear the differences in certain changes he makes to his system as well as the supposed superiority of vinyl, but I'd still like to hear his system, for sure.
Great little article.

Quote:

"You close your eyes in Fremer's chair, and you can perceive a detailed 3D matrix of sound, with each element occupying its own special space in the air. It's crazy and I've never experienced anything like it."

That is exactly how I would describe listening to my audiophile friend's ~$50k 2-channel system. Totally three-dimensional, left-to-right, top-to-bottom, even front-to-back. Mind-blowing.
 Originally Posted By: CV
Yeah, thanks for the link. I'm still skeptical of Fremer's ability to hear the differences in certain changes he makes to his system as well as the supposed superiority of vinyl, but I'd still like to hear his system, for sure.

Yeah, it's funny since many had similar comments on the article.

'I think he's crazy, I wouldn't spend that money, etc'...'But I want to listen to his system.'

I never heard of Talkie Walkie and just went to iTunes to give it a listen. I wonder how much they get sampled today. Not my kind of music but I could see where 'Air' could really show off a 2 channel system. I'm temped to get the track and try it on my 2 channel tube system...
Shoot if I had that kind of coin laying around there very well could be a system like that in my home. We buy Axioms, Michael Fremer buys Wilson ... it's all relative.

Cool article.
I felt like a "Fremer" yesterday. Once in a while, the wife and I go into the city to a special chocolate shop she likes. Very interesting, off the wall flavors. My 2 favs are the chocolate with bacon (Volges I think) and another that has pistachios and chili peppers (outstanding).

I give in because down the street is Streetlight Records which sells, surprise, RECORDS. I browse and always leave w/ an LP or two. Sometimes used, sometimes a new disc if they happen to have a new release on vinyl, which I applaud artists for doing so. And not just vinyl for DJs either, full on 180g ones.

Sadly, they closed their doors on Jan 31. Same reasons of economy, high rent, move towards dowloadable content etc. Sigh, another one bites the dust.

Made even more sad because my wife just bought these for my bday. I think they're Technic SL1200's in black with Ortofon OM20 carts. \:\)

© Axiom Message Boards