Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 03:42 PM
Just a heads up that Amazon is now taking pre-orders for the triology on Blu-ray for 69.99, I'm not sure when the actual release is.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 03:49 PM
I am now officially resigned to begin shopping for a Blu player.

Amazon LOTR BR pre-order (theatrical edition). Extended edition BR

Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 03:50 PM
Sweet. For such a good and demo-worthy series, it's about time. \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 03:56 PM
They'll be good demo material, but it's kind of lame that they're only releasing the theatrical versions at first. I imagine the extended editions will be much further down the road, so they can get as many people as possible to buy twice.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 03:57 PM
No shocker there, Charles.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 04:01 PM
That seems to be the standard sales model now-a-days.
Posted By: CV Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 04:03 PM
Not at all. I'm not really upset, though, as I became less of a fan the more I watched them.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 04:21 PM
I'm not that concerned about the extended version, as good as the movies looked on DVD if they do the Blu-ray versions with the same care they took on the SD versions they should be spectacular.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 04:23 PM
This is the point in the thread where I mention that I've never seen any of them and everybody tells me they can't believe it!
Posted By: CV Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 04:24 PM
I can believe it. You have too much Buffy to watch.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 04:34 PM
I don't know about the EE version, but the regular has been posted on Amazon for a while. The latest rumor I've heard for it is it will be out in time for the Christmas shopping season.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 05:19 PM
I've only seen the extended cut of the first one.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 05:25 PM
I've never seen teh extended cuts of any of them, although I own the DVDs.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 05:41 PM
I guess I am the only one looking forward to the lossless audio \:\) . What audio format are they using Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master?

I usally find these formats to have better overall clarity and superior dynamic range. The surrounds seem to come alive more too . If there is one movie that can take full advantage of the transfer to Blu-ray and high-resolution audio is this LOTR series.
Posted By: CV Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 06:09 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
If there is one movie that can take full advantage of the transfer to Blu-ray and high-resolution audio is this LOTR series.

One ring. Three movies.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 06:19 PM
One
 Originally Posted By: CV
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
If there is one movie that can take full advantage of the transfer to Blu-ray and high-resolution audio is this LOTR series.

One ring. Three movies.

One remote to control them all!
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 07:45 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture...howViewpoints=1

Check out the Amazon comments
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/17/09 11:07 PM
I got the email from amazon today as well. I won't be buying the theatrical versions though. I guess I have to keep waiting. Bummer.
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/18/09 04:18 AM
The extended versions made already long movies, more too long. I'll probably be cool with the theater cuts.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/18/09 04:09 PM
I’m usually disappointed with extended versions of just about any movie. LOTR’s extended versions are the exception. I much prefer the extended version over the theatrical.

I enjoy the series, but wouldn’t consider myself a fan. All my friends are though, so I’ve sat through them several times. They’ve all been dieing to see them on BluRay. Oh boy….here I go again.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/19/09 05:30 AM
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
I’m usually disappointed with extended versions of just about any movie. LOTR’s extended versions are the exception. I much prefer the extended version over the theatrical.

I enjoy the series, but wouldn’t consider myself a fan. All my friends are though, so I’ve sat through them several times. They’ve all been dieing to see them on BluRay. Oh boy….here I go again.

I'm onboard with this too.
The extended versions of LOTR add a bit more detail to the movies without being obnoxiously boring or useless (if the extended version of Phantom Menace made the pod racer seen any longer i would head out for dinner while the scene was playing only to come back later knowing it was finally nearing an end).
Posted By: fredk Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/19/09 05:40 AM
I was a big fan before the movies were released and I was impressed how true to the books they were able to remain while cutting so much stuff out. Extended is the only way to go.
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Lord of the Rings on Blu-ray - 04/20/09 04:40 AM
I've also been holding out for the Harry Potter blu-rays. They look appealing to rev the speakers with, but figure it's only a couple more movies to wait out to get the whole big box at once.
© Axiom Message Boards