Axiom Home Page
Ok here's the scoop. I ordered basic internet dsl(768kbps download) from ATT. The service was activated two days ago. I have an older modem that was given to me by my sister many moons ago. It is an Actiontec GT701-WG. It is a modem with a wireless gateway. So I am trying to get it to work before i have to break down and order a modem through att.

The LED status lights for power, dsl, and ethernet are all solid green. The problem is the Internet Status Light. It never goes green. It's always blank. I checked out my LAN connection for this device and the status says its connected at a speed of 100mbps...but obviously i cannot load any pages.

Any thoughts?
For my Qwest DSL Actiontec modem, I believe I had to go into the modem's config setup, via putting in the default IP address, normally something like 192.168.0.1 and within the menus I had to setup the password, etc. given to me by Qwest, the provider. Not sure about ATT though. Also, make sure you put a filter on all the other phones in the house that are plugged into the phone jacks, to get the best speed.
Hey thanks for the help, Randy. I have filters on each line. I typed in the ip address for the modem and messed around with the settings but couldn't get that darn thing to connect. Then I searched all over the web trying to find a solution and just wasn't able to fix the problem. So I decided to ditch that POS and buy a modem from the ATT Store. It was easy to setup and install. Woot! No more dial up... ;\)
Using the providers MODEM or one of their recommended MODEMs is always a good idea. While ADSL is a 'standard', the equipement they use as DSLAMs (DSL distribution switches) is varied and some manufacturer's equipement works better with some modems than others.
Funny thing just happened. I got an email from Actiontec support. They said I needed to check the VPI and VCI values and make sure it's set to 0/35. I went to the advanced setup page, changed the numbers and now the darn thing is working! I swear I did that when I was troubleshooting. I'll run the actiontec for a few days and if i don't have any more connectivity issues the att modem is going back.
© Axiom Message Boards