Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Golden point and shoot camera suggestions - 07/11/09 03:22 AM
Dog ate the camera. Most of it anyhow. Girlfriend and I are heading to a wedding next week, and need to pick up a decent point and shoot camera.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer it to be below the $150 mark, if possible. And be awesome, if possible. Can these requirements intersect?

I know pretty much nothing about point and shoot digital camera's, so any thoughts are welcome.

edit: spelling, as usual
I always like the Canon Powershots. I have the SD770 now.

Check out gdgt.com and dpreview.com.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: point and shoot camera suggestions - 07/11/09 10:39 AM
Yeah, I second dpreview.com.

I bought my wife a little Sony for Christmas that we both love, unfortunately, they've changed models and I have no idea if the new ones are reviewed as well as this one was. Generally, I'm a Canon fan, too.
Posted By: a401classic Re: point and shoot camera suggestions - 07/11/09 11:50 AM
We've had a canon power shot sd550 for a couple of years now and are very happy with it. My wife used a newer Sony Cybershot as part of a graduate class and she liked the bells and whistles it had, but said she would buy a canon again when the time comes.

Scott
Posted By: terzaghi Re: point and shoot camera suggestions - 07/11/09 01:17 PM
I bought my wife a sony cybershot a year or two ago and we really like it.
Posted By: jakewash Re: point and shoot camera suggestions - 07/11/09 02:47 PM
Canon SD700, best camera I have owned so far. Canon seems to make great cameras at all price points from what I can tell.
Though I should admit I dream about the new Olympus EP1 with the 4/3's lenses. Gorgeous.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusep1/

It's not a point and shoot and I have no need for a DSLR but still...
Posted By: JohnK Re: point and shoot camera suggestions - 07/12/09 01:16 AM
Sam, if you would go about $200 the Canon SD1200 IS would be a good choice. If you want to stay below budget the 1100 refurb , the preceding model, is a good buy(buy a memory card, probably locally, as well). Three day shipping could be selected.
© Axiom Message Boards