Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rappar Building a stereo stand... - 08/13/09 02:11 PM
I want to custom build a stereo stand for my equipment and a centre speaker I will buy from Axiom. What I'd like to incorporate into the build is some fans that could be set to come on and off at certain temperatures to help cool off components. I've seen a stand built by a company in PA that seems to have this feature. Does anyone know of a place where you could buy fans such as these? As I live in Canada, someone located here or at least willing to ship to Canada would be part of the deal.
Thanks
Ron
Posted By: Adrian Re: Building a stereo stand... - 08/13/09 02:46 PM
Welcome Ron. I remember seeing small wall-mount type cooling fans in Princess Auto's surplus section(many different sizes). You'd have to check them though, I can't remember if they were 12V or not, but the prices were very cheap. If that doesn't work for you, you could probably find something at Parts Express or similar type store.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Building a stereo stand... - 08/13/09 03:21 PM
Welcome rappar. Since your custom building your stand it sounds like you might be interested in a DIY version. I looked into this as well and decided to do it myself. Go buy a very quiet computer fan from any PC store. Then buy a matching power supply (wall wart) for the fan - make sure to match voltage and that the amperage of the power supply meets the fan requirement. Lastly buy a cheap thermostat from Home Depot and string it all together. You could also forget the thermostat if you plug the power supply onto a switchable outlet on the back of your amp if it has one. That way the fan will be on whenevr your AVR is on. Hope that helps!
Posted By: Zimm Re: Building a stereo stand... - 08/14/09 05:15 PM
I'd skip the thermo and just invest in a better fan that runs off your AVR. The bigger air flow, and lower noise you can get, the better. I have several external mount fans and quiet is hard to find, but they cool really well.
© Axiom Message Boards