Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 04:08 AM
Pretty good one, found here: http://www.digital-recordings.com/hearing-test/www-ht-pro/ht_help_p.html

The reason I took it is partially due to the weather. See, I've been able to open the windows at night because the night air has been pleasant recently. As I was laying down last night, I noticed that when I was on my left side with my left ear in the pillow, I could not hear the crickets, but if I was laying on my right side with my right ear in the pillow, I could hear them. Hmmm...

So the hearing test results showed a noticeable difference between the sensitivity of my left and right ear, with the right ear being a bit weaker. \:\(

Don't take this test if you don't want to know your hearing isn't perfect.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 04:33 AM
Slight to moderate here, couldn't hear a darn thing above 14K. Guess I don't need supertweeters.
Cool test. Fortunately, mine was pretty consistent between each ear.

But it was interesting to find that I couldn't hear below 40 Hz or above 14KHz. But above 14 KHz it gave me a little headache. Hmm, maybe I don't need to set the sub crossover too low now... ;\)

Used my Grado 325i's on the test. Wonder if closed phones would give different results. WIll try my super.fi's at work tomorrow.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 05:19 AM
Yeah, I had similar things using my closed air Senn HD280Pros. No 20Hz, no 16Hz or above.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 03:17 PM
I just retook the test (during a break at work) and took a screenshot of the results.

The black dots represent "normal" hearing. The red Xs are left ear, and the red Os are the right ear. I'm guessing crickets make a lot of sound in the 6k and/or 11-12k ranges since there's an obvious issue with my right ear there. At least I'm more sensitive to bass than the average ear-owner. \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 04:18 PM

Mine was somewhat normal until the 3k range. What was a surprise to me was I could still hear at the 16K range although at a pretty good deficit.
Posted By: Wid Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 05:10 PM
My first screenshot. Hope ya can see it.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 05:11 PM
I can see it, just can't hear it, ha ha no pun intented.
Posted By: Wid Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 05:15 PM

Not to bad for an old man \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 05:47 PM
I will have to try this when I get home, do I need headphones? If so, won't better quality headphones have a better frequency range?

Nevermind, just read the instructions, \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 05:52 PM
Yeah, that was kind of how I was thinking, Randy. I couldn't hear 20Hz at all on mine, or anything above 14KHz. I suspect my headphones, but I don't have really really good closed air ones. Decent, certainly, but not really good.
Posted By: Wid Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 05:56 PM

I used some Altec Lansing iems amped with a portable amp connected to my laptop for the test.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 06:27 PM
I just did the test despite my using some -$10 Walmart earphones and a laptop which refuses to turn it's fan off, my hearing was similar in both ears(right slightly better nearly across the range). I'm a little below average in the mids and I was surprised actually better(by a lot) in the highs, go figure.
Posted By: Joebob Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 07:17 PM
Here is my test:

Not bad for an old fart. Used Sure SE210 ear buds straight out of the iMac. I'm surprised I can hear anything above 15K at all. I did the test twice, the second time with my eyes closed so I wouldn't cheat.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 07:57 PM
Now if you can do an eye test with both eyes closed, we'll REALLY be impressed. ;\)
Posted By: Wid Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 08:06 PM
I took the test again in a nice quite room and calibrated the volume level correctly this time. Before I didn't realize there was a higher tone on the calibration volume. I also used a set of Senn ear buds this time, straight out of the computer.

This looks a lot better. Now if I can figure out how to make it fit the screen better, like Peter did. I have no photo editing software on this computer.

Posted By: Joebob Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 08:14 PM
Adrian, the only test I take with my eyes closed is the driving exam. It makes it more of a challenge that way.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 08:19 PM
I did try to take my vision test for my driver's license with one eye closed. I find I can focus better with my right when I have my left closed. So I read the first half of the line. Then was asked to read the other I said, "it's blank". Luckily I opened my other eye just in time to say, "oh", and continue reading, before they listed me blind in one eye.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Just took an online hearing test... - 08/27/09 09:16 PM
I'm going to retake the test with my Etymotic in-ear phones right now.

And here are the results. Pretty different, so the headphones are definitely a factor.

Ok, so it's not all that different.

Using superfi IEMs, I was able to hear high freqs. Doesn't make my Grado look good...
© Axiom Message Boards