Axiom Home Page
Posted By: nickbuol Next trip... Tampa, Florida - 10/04/09 05:26 AM
On Monday (Oct 5th) I fly out for work yet again. This time, I am heading to Tampa (actually St Petersburg) Florida until Friday.

If I had an extra day, I'd look into going to Busch Gardens, but 1) I doubt that I will have a full day, 2) tickets are $70 plus $12 for parking... Not sure that it is worth it. Maybe if it was a family vacation and I was planning on the expense.

There has to be other things to do that are less expensive and don't require a full day in order to feel like I am getting my money's worth... I'll have to do some more checking...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Next trip... Tampa, Florida - 10/04/09 05:46 AM
Nick, maybe some day they will fly you to Des Moines, IA. I've heard it is a great place. \:\)
Posted By: real80sman Re: Next trip... Tampa, Florida - 10/04/09 12:33 PM
Hey Nick.
Not sure if this interests you, but ~45 miles up from Tampa is Fantasy of Flight in Polk City. Under $30 for a ticket.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Next trip... Tampa, Florida - 10/04/09 02:29 PM
Randy, at least I get to fly OUT of Des Moines, right?

Shawn, that does look pretty cool. If I end up with a full day or even just a half day, I may do that...
Posted By: RickF Re: Next trip... Tampa, Florida - 10/05/09 12:06 AM
Nick if you are an aviation buff another cool place is Tom Reilly's Flying Tigers Warbird Restoration Museum in Kissimmee, just a few miles down the road from FoF ... back in the day I actually did some work on a couple of his B-25's. Tom Reilly's Flying Tigers

And while in Kissimmee you might as well look up Stallion 51 and treat yourself to some flight time in a TF-51 (2 seat P-51) or a T-6 Texan ... either airplane will be a kick in the pants. Lee Lauderback has been an aviation fixture around Orlando for years and years, I knew him back whenever he flew for golfer Arnold Palmer. If you are going to do any flight time in the TF-51 be sure to bring your wallet though. ;\) Stallion 51
Posted By: Adrian Re: Next trip... Tampa, Florida - 10/05/09 02:24 AM
Rick, what is the name of the aircraft museum up around Panama City/Fort Walton? I went there many years ago, they had a number of jets there including the "Warthog", the SR-71, and a B52 bomber.
Posted By: RickF Re: Next trip... Tampa, Florida - 10/05/09 08:00 PM
Adrian you are probably referring to the U.S. Air Force Armament Museum in Ft. Walton Beach, (Eglin AFB)?

USAF Armament Museum

Also there is the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

National Naval Aviation Museum

Both are excellent aviation museums, although it has been many moons since I have been to either place ... on the 'place I want to visit again' list.

And...

There's the National Navy UDT-SEAL Museum just down the road from my house, cool stuff!

Navy SEAL-UDT Museum
Posted By: Adrian Re: Next trip... Tampa, Florida - 10/05/09 08:11 PM
That's the one, the USAF Armament Museum. Tks.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Next trip... Tampa, Florida - 10/06/09 03:19 AM
 Originally Posted By: RickF

Also there is the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

National Naval Aviation Museum

I can vouch for this museum. We spent a full day and really could have spent another half day there. Better than the D-Day museum here in the NO area.

Scott
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Next trip... Tampa, Florida - 10/06/09 03:29 AM
Man, Pensacola is like 7 hours away from Tampa! Bummer...
© Axiom Message Boards