Axiom Home Page
Posted By: EFalardeau HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 01:12 AM
I have had a few cheap defective HDMI cables before, but Today was a bit of fun. Since I have the new TV, my BD30 player has had heavy glitches at 1080p/60. I blamed the player as all the other players were fine.

Today the screen went suddently blank... A bit of frustrating testing determined it was the cable from one of my HDMI swicth to the TV that was defective. Good thing I had two spare cables...

Then, all my devices were working fine... except for the BD30 which remained blank. Once in a while I would get an image back, but it would "decompose" slowly within a minute or so and then go blank. A few more tests showed that the cable from the BD30 to the switch was defective too. The second spare cables worked first shot... and now there are no more issues at 1080p/60.

Now for the really funny part. Both cables were part of the same delivery from Monoprice. Nothing to do with Monoprice (who never explicitly garenteed these cables for 1080p and actually had a declaimer about uses in more than 1080i). I just find it hilarious that both went dead at the same time as if they had buit-in failures date!

But no more spares...
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 01:24 AM
Whats the length of these HDMI cables?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 01:37 AM

4 feet
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 01:40 AM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau

4 feet

Maybe time for some Blue Jeans HDMI
Posted By: SirQuack Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 01:41 AM
Monster it is...
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 01:47 AM

My décor is more brown-reddish... Blue would really stand out.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 01:47 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Monster it is...

Monster HDMI cables actually do perform very well even in longer runs. However, the frivolous lawsuits, gimmicky marketing claims and high prices makes them inferior to companies such as Blue Jeans that offer higher build quality in their cables over Monoprice.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 01:50 AM
I was just joking. \:\) I own many Blue Jean and Monoprice products..
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 01:59 AM

Don't try to weasle out of it; you were serious!
Posted By: Adrian Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 02:15 AM
I bought some Philips HDMI cables from WallyMart, a little more expensive than Mono/BJ but I didn't want to wait for the cables.

I'm surprised no-one suggested any MacGiver or Red Green cables, now thar's some good quality right thar, I say!
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 04:34 AM
Just use 20 coat hangers.
Posted By: lucv13 Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 06:46 AM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
I bought some Philips HDMI cables from WallyMart, a little more expensive than Mono/BJ but I didn't want to wait for the cables.

I'm surprised no-one suggested any MacGiver or Red Green cables, now thar's some good quality right thar, I say!

I went looking for a 10ft HDMI from walmart - went to their electronics dept to price the cable then went to the PS3 gaming area and found the Sony PS3 specific 3m cable considerably cheaper than anything in the electronics section
Posted By: Zimm Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 01:24 PM
On Monoprice, you can pick the size of the wire. For a 30ft run, I got the heaviest gauge they had, and it works fine so far.
Posted By: jakewash Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 07:44 PM
I seem to remember some postings about tests done on Monoprice's HDMI cables and they passed with flying colrs for all specs they are rated for, even outdoing much pricier brands for some of the mid lengths.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: HDMI fun! - 10/21/09 10:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau

Don't try to weasle out of it; you were serious!

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals, except the weasel.
Posted By: Argon Re: HDMI fun! - 10/22/09 04:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian

The first cable that I bought from WMT - "Fill Ups" component turned out to be defective. It would be ok for a while but then inexplicably would lose a color - usually the red so that the hue went screwy. That cured me from Wall Mart. All mine now are Monoprice.
Posted By: Adrian Re: HDMI fun! - 10/22/09 06:39 PM
Haven't had any problems with them yet.

\:\) ::knocks on side of cranium::
Posted By: RickF Re: HDMI fun! - 10/22/09 07:30 PM
Fortunately I've never had a problem with any HDMI cables I've purchased either through an online source (monoprice & BlueJeans) or from brick and mortar stores ... I will say the money saved on cables, HDMI switchers, wall plates and associated hardware purchased online have been tremendous over what the cost would have been through stores locally, enough to keep me shopping online even if a couple of days wait are in order for even just an item or two.
© Axiom Message Boards