Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ClubNeon In the Anechoic Chamber with No Lights On - 10/22/09 03:10 AM
Anyone at Axiom ever try this?
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/10/hallucinations/
sounds like when I sleep everynight.
We have small antenna chambers at work and I HATE going into them. I find them disorienting, besides the fact that it brings out my claustrophobia.

I've visited a customer's anechoic chamber that was ENORMOUS. About 3 stories high and about 40' x 100', IIRC. The deadening of sound is REALLY weird and disturbing. It hurts my ears a LOT.

Almost like Pod 5, for those of you who've read Lost Symbol.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: In the Anechoic Chamber with No Lights On - 10/22/09 04:28 AM
Anechoic chambers just feel wrong when you're in them. It's amazing how much information we get about our surroundings from our ears without even realizing it.
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Anechoic chambers just feel wrong when you're in them. It's amazing how much information we get about our surroundings from our ears without even realizing it.

Agreed, 5 minutes in Axiom's chamber was about all I needed.
Posted By: Murph Re: In the Anechoic Chamber with No Lights On - 10/22/09 11:48 AM
Weirdest places I have been in include the inside of the tanks of aluminum tanker trucks when I did the crap labor jobs for a trucking company for two summers. After they were steamed clean, they still had to have the dust rinsed off the inside with a hose. The sound was only slightly weird but as the shine started to return, the light from your trouble light started to make 3d points of colored light all over the place in front of your eyes that moved as you did. Very disorientating.
Have you ever seen those floating coin illusion boxes which use two parabolic mirrors? Sega also used that same trick for their "Time Warp" and "Holosseum" games. I imagine being inside of the parabola-shaped tank would have the same effect, but you'd be inside of the illusion.
Posted By: Adrian Re: In the Anechoic Chamber with No Lights On - 10/22/09 03:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: FordPrefect

Agreed, 5 minutes in Axiom's chamber was about all I needed.

\:D I was in their anechoic chambre too. Kind of makes you think of the silence that one would feel in outer space. The only other time I've experienced extreme quiet, would be up north in January/Feb in the middle of the forest after a foot of fresh snow, which seems to absorb nearly all the sound before the sun beats it down...then it seems to reflect any sounds when the top layer hardens up a little.
>>up north in January/Feb in the middle of the forest after a foot of fresh snow, which seems to absorb nearly all the sound

At least there's nothing in Axiom's anechoic chamber that might view you as a potential meal...

... at least not until the subwoofer DSP code becomes self-aware.
Posted By: Adrian Re: In the Anechoic Chamber with No Lights On - 10/22/09 03:48 PM
\:D
Posted By: CV Re: In the Anechoic Chamber with No Lights On - 10/22/09 04:25 PM
 Originally Posted By: bridgman
At least there's nothing in Axiom's anechoic chamber that might view you as a potential meal...

... at least not until the subwoofer DSP code becomes self-aware.

I think it was trying to communicate with Micah.
© Axiom Message Boards