Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Murph dbPowerAmp - true multitasking - 11/06/09 03:28 PM
Probably nothing new for some of you but last night I went to re-install EAC to rip CDs and thought I'd try out the simpler (but with a cost) version of dbPowerAmp. So I downloaded the trial version for Windows 7.

After it ripped the first song, I noticed it used one CPU core to start encoding it to flac but it used the second CPU core to start ripping song number two at the same time.

I tried using it to convert the resulting flacs to MP3 instead of ripping them again and saw that it began working on translating song #1 with Core1 and Core2 was already working on song number 2.

A lot of software can utilize 2 or more cores nowadays but I didn't expect to see it work so well in just ripping software. Kinda cool. I might even break down and pay for it vs. the tricky setup to make EAC work for free. OK, well maybe anyways.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: dbPowerAmp - true multitasking - 11/06/09 04:40 PM
As you said, nothing new. I've been running multiple CPUs/cores for almost 10 years now. I have a friend who says, "I only use one program at a time. Why should I have more than one core?" Just looking at the process list shows that statement to be false, there are always multiple programs each asking for a little CPU time.

EAC wasn't even designed for multiple core support. It just happens because it launches the encoder as a separate process. Because one CPU is already in use, the next least loaded one gets the new process assigned to it. Simple, and automatic.

My current home computer has 8 cores (two Opteron Quads), but as soon as they become readily available I'm upgrading it to two Six Cores.
Posted By: Murph Re: dbPowerAmp - true multitasking - 11/09/09 03:52 PM
Yes, 2 cores is nothing new or fancy and it's normally being utilized with processes being assigned to both at the same time, even when you don't realize it. I just didn't expect to see it so blatantly in DBPoweramp. I used what was almost assuredly an older version about a year ago in XP it wasn't segregating it's tasks in this way.

As I said in another post, I get exited at the most unimportant things.
© Axiom Message Boards