Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rage96 No new idea's - 12/01/09 04:32 PM
Why must they remake movies? We don't need them too they where fine how they are. Do not get me wrong, some of the remakes are good but for every good one there are five others that are a wast of film.

Here is just a few examples of films that where bad or just not that good.

1)The Amityville Horror (2005)
2)The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)
3)Death Race (2008)
4)How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (2000)
5)The Stepford Wives (2004)

But there are a few that are worth a watch such as.

1)Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
2)Oliver Twist (2005 film)
3)Ocean's Eleven (2001)
4)3:10 to Yuma (2007)

As you can see, it is a mixed bag. I know that some of the movies I put down as bad are still worth watching but fall way short of the first. Just look at the trailer for Nightmare on elm street, that is not Freddy Krueger no way no how, Robert Englund is Freddy. But to be fair the movie is not out so it may be good...

Also movies and T.V are not the only ones that are getting remade, I just saw a post that they will be remaking.....

-Akira
-Ninja Scroll
-Ghost In The Shell

For people that have not seen these anime go out and rent them or at least watch the trailers for them. These are the three anime that I watched as a kid and I don't want it to turn out like Dragon Ball Z turned out, yes I watched the T.V show and I bought them all on VHS many years ago. (Back in the day I thought Highdef D-VHS was going to win out but DVD won.)

But what do I know, most of the time now movies are for 13-17 years. And I don't blame them, most but not all kids are dumb and like shiny things that move fast oh, and they have money lots more then I did as a kid.

Rant over, just hate seeing things I once liked being turn into something else just so kids can hand over there money.

God, I sound like my grandfather, dam kids with there skateboards and youtube and I'm only 30

Posted By: Adrian Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 05:20 PM
Same applies to the music scene, I think.
Posted By: rage96 Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 06:20 PM
I don't mind some of the 80s songs but have you heard some of the remakes they are making. They sound bad, but hey, they where not that good to begin with.

Men at work-land down under

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKOu09_g8j0
Posted By: Adrian Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 06:38 PM
The remakes of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" that were done in the 80's were lame(I'm being polite). They lacked the cleverness, mystery and overall ambiance of the original.

As far as music is concerned, with a few exceptions, the original artist is usually the best imo. That may be simply because it becomes the reference point that we use to judge the others by though.
Posted By: grunt Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 07:04 PM
Nice topic thanks for starting it. Got me to looking and there are a lot more remakes than I ever realized:

List of film remakes

And a lot more on the way:

55 movie remakes currently in the works

38 Planned Movie Remakes You Didn't Know About

My take has always been that remakes (same language) often suck because it’s just lazy to redo something in the first place and that lack of energy/enthusiasm comes through. Additionally IMO a lot of older stuff is engaging at a different more cerebral level. Either do to intent or limitations in film making they force you to think about what’s happening instead of just throwing it in your face. When you remake a movie like that as a modern action/adventure/horror it’s often so in your face there’s nothing really left to draw you into the story, it‘s like the magic is gone.

OTOH, some remakes work for me because they took the original idea and decided to go in a different direction with it.
Posted By: rage96 Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 07:15 PM
The magic is not gone just replaced with Computer graphics. Just look at 2012. Its just a avg. movie but I would rather watch the old disaster movies of the 70s and 80s
Posted By: CatBrat Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 07:17 PM
We've already had 2 Dune movies, well 1 not so good movie (in my opinion) and a tv mini-series (Dune and Children of Dune) that I like and own that includes the 1st 3 novels. I would rather see them make the 4th novel (God: Emperor of Dune) instead of another Dune remake.
Posted By: Adrian Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 07:23 PM
Some producers throw a lot of money into effects to make up for rather weak stories. OTOH, effects can augment a good script and bring much more to the movie...the Titanic breaking up as it sinks, the realism of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park ect.
Posted By: rage96 Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 08:23 PM
 Quote:
We've already had 2 Dune movies, well 1 not so good movie (in my opinion) and a tv mini-series (Dune and Children of Dune) that I like and own that includes the 1st 3 novels. I would rather see them make the 4th novel (God: Emperor of Dune) instead of another Dune remake.

I agree 100% I would love to see a new dune movie, also its nice to someone else that likes dune most people don't care for the movies even the books by frank herbert (I think his dune series is better then lord of the rings, and I read both series) I don't even mind the books his son, brian herbert wrote. But they are nowhere close to his dad.

The dune movie from the 80s was well acted/nice sets, but had all most nothing to do with the book.

The T.V movies followed the book all most perfect, but i did not like they way the T.V movie looked as much.

Posted By: grunt Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 09:05 PM
Funny how tastes differ. I didn’t care for the “Dune” movie that much. Fun to watch just seemed a little thin. OTHO I loved the mini-series for the depth of their stories. Never read the books so I wasn’t tainted by any expectations.

I had read “Starship Troopers” and at first was extremely disappointed in the movie. However, I took a step back and accepted it for what it is and now I like it. I have “Roughnecks” but haven’t watched them yet. I imagine based on generally preferring mini-series to stand alone movies I will like them more.

A reverse example is “Logan’s Run” I absolutely loved that movie, the word obsessed comes to mind. However, I read the book after seeing the movie and hated the book.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 09:09 PM
I started to read the Dune series twice. I got the first 3 1/2 novels read back in the 80's, and the first 5 1/2 novels read about 2 years ago. I've never made it all of the way through. I had 1 1/2 novels left to finish the series. I should re-start with the last one I read only 1/2 of.
Posted By: grunt Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 09:18 PM
I started to read Dune and got about 3 chapters in and gave up. Because of my dyslexia I’m a very slow reader and the story was taking way to long to develop. Back then I was more of a “Lucky Star” and “Doc Savage” fan. I have read most of the “classic” scifi novels but don’t think I’ve read any novels since 2010 (book not year, realized in a month that comment would seem odd). I switched to non fiction when I went back to university sociology, social psychology, political economy, economics, religious/cultural history…you know the interesting stuff. ;\)
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 09:24 PM
As we discussed our similar defects before, I'd be willing to be you're not actually dyslexic (I've been diagnosed that way before too). But your low ability to inhibit latent information (the rest of the words on the page) does make it difficult to focus on the one you're actually trying to read.

Though it doesn't matter what it's called, it still makes reading a slow process. But I seem to have better retention and comprehension than most other people I know.
Posted By: grunt Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 09:50 PM
Nice pick up. You are correct it is not really dyslexia I’m diagnosed with but rather than try to explain it every time I just say dyslexia since it gets the point across. I also have much better comprehension/retention than average.

I was never tested as a child because my father was in denial that I might have an issue. You may or may not have noticed, as there’s a few Canadians on the forum, but most of the time I use English rather than American spellings. That’s because my grandmother (from England) got pissed at my dad and took it upon herself to teach me to read and write so I picked up a lot of English mannerisms.

Just for the hell of it when I attended UW Madison after leaving the Marine Corps I got tested and they identified I did have a problem. Though they said it was not actually dyslexia that if fit close enough that they would put me in that category if I wanted thus allowing me more time for tests and such. I declined so as not to have anything like that in my records since things like that can come back and haunt you in the military. Besides by that time I had already figured out workarounds like going to professors half a semester early to pick up the reading list and prolifically highlighting for later reference. Since then I’ve learned that audio books are my friend.

It’s also part of why I hate distractions in my peripheral vision while watching movies/gaming, total blackout is the only way to go.
Posted By: Adrian Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 11:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
You may or may not have noticed, as there’s a few Canadians on the forum, but most of the time I use English rather than American spellings.

Lol, I noticed that Dean! and here I thought we were responsible having a bad....errr good influence on your spelling. ;\)
Posted By: Argon Re: No new idea's - 12/01/09 11:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
I started to read Dune and got about 3 chapters in and gave up. Because of my dyslexia I’m a very slow reader and the story was taking way to long to develop. Back then I was more of a “Lucky Star” and “Doc Savage” fan. I have read most of the “classic” scifi novels but don’t think I’ve read any novels since 2010 (book not year, realized in a month that comment would seem odd). I switched to non fiction when I went back to university sociology, social psychology, political economy, economics, religious/cultural history…you know the interesting stuff. ;\)

I didn't care much for Dune - in fact, I never made it through the VHS. On the other hand, my daughter set up a facebook account for me. I don't pay much attention to it but I did get pingged by some of my old High School buds. We got into a reminisc thing and the movie Doc Savage came up. It was played by Ron Ely, as I recall and it was subtitled "The Man of Bronze".
Posted By: grunt Re: No new idea's - 12/02/09 01:16 AM
It’s been so long since I’ve seen the “Doc Savage: Man of Bronze” movie. I remember it being really campy but I still liked it. Had a very matinee serial flare if I remember. I thought it was never released on DVD and Netflix hasn’t had it but look what I found:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keyword..._sl_alqb77b1y_b

I put it in my shopping cart to get when I order some other stuff I’m looking at.

Looks like they might also be making a new one:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0605775/news#ni1130750

http://www.themovieinsider.com/m6611/2/doc-savage/
Posted By: CV Re: No new idea's - 12/02/09 04:12 AM
I'm sort of ambivalent toward the Dune movie. I did like Kyle MacLachlan as Paul Atreides, and I liked the creepiness of his little sister, but the way the movie's done as a whole is kind of lame. I only read the first novel, but I did like it. I probably liked it more just because it was fun to see a lot of ideas that Robert Jordan borrowed for his Wheel of Time series. I think there's a lot to like about the world Frank Herbert created.
Posted By: fredk Re: No new idea's - 12/02/09 09:14 AM
Frank Herbert is a must read for any serious sci-fi fan. The Dosadi Experiment is one of his better books. Books 1-3 in the Dune series were excellent, but I think he lost focus or purpose in the later books.

Yes Dean, the story took a long time to develop, was complicated and multi-threaded. He delves into religion and cultures in conflict, both of which are complicated subjects. I read the first two books 3 times to take everything in. I rarely do that.

I sympathize with your condition Dean. I have no trouble reading, but suck at a lot of card games because I can't pick out patterns well when there is a lot of visual information presented. I also get lost easily when looking at lines of code in a program. Very frustrating at times.
Posted By: fredk Re: No new idea's - 12/02/09 10:06 AM
CV, if you like the wy Herbert created a world with his trilogy (the rest don't count) try reading Ursela K. Leguin's The Disposessed. Like Dune, it won the top Sci-Fi and Fantasy awards for the year it was published.
Posted By: CV Re: No new idea's - 12/02/09 10:11 AM
I'll have to add it to my never-ending list. Ha ha.
Posted By: Murph Re: No new idea's - 12/02/09 02:18 PM
Speaking of The Wheel of Time, did you pick up "The Gathering Storm" yet?

I nabbed it on sale over the weekend and told my wife she got me an extra Christmas present. Of course, I'm still only on book 5 out of my re-read of the preceding 11 novels so it might gather dust for a bit yet.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: No new idea's - 12/02/09 03:08 PM
I'll be on book 9. Although I took a side trip into "The World of the Wheel of Time" which is just a slog. A marginally interesting slog, but a slog nonetheless. I need to go back and update my forsaken spreadsheet for book 8 before I start 9.

As to Dune, I never read it because my Dad didn't like it. Perhaps I should give it a shot sometime.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: No new idea's - 12/02/09 03:52 PM
I think there are 7 Dune books in the series total. It would probably be a better idea to space them out over time instead of trying to get through them all at once. That was probably my mistake and I'd get burned out after about 3 of them. Then there are a slew of other side issue Dune books written, prequels, sequels, and some you-name-it-quels.
Posted By: rage96 Re: No new idea's - 12/02/09 04:27 PM
I read the dune books at the start of school and 4 years later I read all the Dune books by Frank and his son. I will agree that with frank herberts writing you have to read slow and take it all in. With his writing even missing one paragraph will be enough to get lost in the plot twists (plans with in plans).

I love the dune books but even I hae to say it can get kind of boring sometimes.
Posted By: CV Re: No new idea's - 12/02/09 05:21 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Speaking of The Wheel of Time, did you pick up "The Gathering Storm" yet?

I did, but yeah, I'll want to read the whole series again, and I never read the book before it, anyway. I haven't been able to convince myself to start all of that reading yet.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: No new idea's - 12/02/09 05:28 PM
It's great. I'm loving it. Well, other than TWoRJtWoT.
© Axiom Message Boards