Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Adrian Artists who need to "go away" - 12/28/09 01:32 AM
After reading an article on Yahoo by the same title(Artist...away) I thought it might be interesting to see what artists people feel should just disappear.

My vote goes to Kanye Pest, err West. That guy has enough hot air to fill a Hindenburgh.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/28/09 02:13 AM
Mine would be Michael Jackson. Oh wait...
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/28/09 02:23 AM
After hearing the most god-awful cover of Tom Petty's Free Falling, I think this is appropriate:

You're a helluva guitar player, John, but your music needs to grow a pair.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/28/09 03:05 AM
I love the Who. They are legendary, and one of my top 5 groups of all time. But their last CD really bummed me out. They hadn't done a new album since It's Hard, in 1982. Then they release Endless Wire in 2006, and I can't listen to it because Roger Daltrey's voice is gone. Just sad to hear it crack and strain and not have any power at all.

I could see them going on after the death of Keith Moon. They were in their thirties - still had some juice in the tank. But after John Entwhistle died in 2002, I'd have hung it up, at least as "The Who". Now they're like that ballplayer who doesn't know when to retire, who plays a season or two where he embarrasses himself and messes up his stats and legacy.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/28/09 03:18 AM
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
I love the Who. They are legendary, and one of my top 5 groups of all time. But their last CD really bummed me out.

I googled "endless wire" and listened to the sound tracks. I agree, it is rather difficult to listen to. I like the Who too and "The Who Sell Out", from 1967 was always my favorite.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/28/09 03:25 AM
Hmmm, I think it's time the Stones retired as well. Honestly, with the exception of a couple of songs, imo they haven't done anything noteworthy since...Oh...maybe 1975(Made in the Shade). Now they're just going through the motions and watching Mick mumbling through their classic songs is brutal.

Miley Cyrus anyone?
Posted By: fredk Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/28/09 03:43 AM
Pick a rap artist. Any rap artist. With exception to a very very few songs, this genre as a whole does nothing for me.

How is it that some artists like Muddy Waters and Leonard Cohen got the juice until the day they drop and so many others just fade?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 03:05 AM
A recent "artist" I want to go away before "he" even starts is Adam Lambert.

I also don't want to hear anything more from Metallica. They have been a joke for the past decade.
Posted By: Ascension Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 03:16 AM
Although I like Aerosmith a lot, I hope they hang it up sometime soon.

Also, I hope we get through this "gen" of music right now. It's just plain terrible.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 03:45 AM
What do you mean, this "gen"? There's such a huge variety of artists out there -- many of whom are putting out excellent music -- that I'm pretty sure there must be something out there for everyone.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:23 AM
 Quote:
I thought it might be interesting to see what artists people feel should just disappear.

Whoever did this damn song and soon because it seems like they are about to come out with version 2.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:30 AM
Well, Celine Dion could retire any day now...

<runs away from hordes of raging Canadians>
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:38 AM
I don't think they like her, either. They approved her passport, didn't they?
Posted By: CV Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:38 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
What do you mean, this "gen"? There's such a huge variety of artists out there -- many of whom are putting out excellent music -- that I'm pretty sure there must be something out there for everyone.

Yeah, as you were saying, there's almost too much music out there. If we're only talking about what gets radio play, then it's a lot less impressive, but it's not like no popular music is any good, either. Generally speaking, most of the music out there is stuff I won't like, but you can say that about any type of entertainment.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:41 AM
You can say that about people, too.
Posted By: CV Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:43 AM
I think I will. Sometime, when I need an extra post on my tally.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:56 AM
Oh, c'mon, dude, you stay up later than he does. You've got to be able to pass him tonight.
Posted By: CV Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:59 AM
If not tonight, then at least I have a resolution for the new year.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 06:53 AM
He doesn't stay up later than me, I think we are about equal in that dept, afterall I work till 2 Am and usually drop in here before I head off to bed around 3:30-4:00AM.

You can rest easy CV, once I am in the new house I know my posting will drop off dramatically, to much to set up and I will have my new 58" Panny to watch hours of movies and such on. I have 6 months worth of videos to catch up on let alone new releases. \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 07:30 AM
\:D I'm jealous of that TV. Of course, you can keep your post count up by posting about every single thing you're watching.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 11:01 AM
I could get rid of any artist that uses auto-tuning as a "style"....
Posted By: medic8r Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 12:23 PM
So I guess you won't be getting the "I am T-Pain" app for the iPhone.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 02:12 PM
I admit I considered it, but I spend my iPhone app money much more wisely. For example, I spent a lot of time with a game called Little Metal Ball recently. It's on sale for 99ยข now and is definitely worth it.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 02:30 PM
I don't think they like her, either. They approved her passport, didn't they?

We are hoping Vegas will sign her permanently.
Posted By: RayLewis Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 04:51 PM
Nickleback and Creed really need to go away and never be heard from again.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:26 PM
My sister LOVES Nickleback and I must confess to actually liking them and I think there are a few million others that do too, so I don't see them going away any time soon, sorry.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:35 PM
I don't need Nickelback to go away, really. I just want the lead singer to finally pass that turd he's been straining to get out for years.
Posted By: CV Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:36 PM
How many courics is it?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:39 PM
@Peter, that almost made me spit out my lunch quesadilla. Good one.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 05:43 PM
@CV, I had not seen that South Park. Urban Dictionary and, interestingly, the Huffington Post caught me up to speed. Good one.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/29/09 06:19 PM
To both Peter and CV, \:D \:D
Posted By: Murph Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/30/09 05:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Well, Celine Dion could retire any day now...

<runs away from hordes of raging Canadians>

I think you are very safe. We have been trying to keep her down in Vegas for years now but she keeps coming back. I find Canadian artists who develop colossal egos find that they very quickly loose their fan base up here.
Posted By: Murph Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/30/09 05:57 PM
Not an artist, but I'd pay the makers of Coronation Street to come up with a new theme song. I never watched the show but the theme song grates through my head like it is some kind of sonic weapon.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/30/09 06:31 PM
I'll second that, Murph. It's like being poked in the eye with a sharp stick.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/30/09 07:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
We have been trying to keep her down in Vegas for years now

Make her "happen" in Vegas, and she'll stay in Vegas.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/30/09 07:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
I'll second that, Murph. It's like being poked in the eye with a sharp stick.

Whut eef ee cumes at you wit a pointed stick, then?
Posted By: Ascension Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/31/09 04:08 PM
Also Lady GaGa
Posted By: CV Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 12/31/09 05:18 PM
I've somehow avoided any familiarity with Lady Gaga's music, but I do kind of like the Kermit the Frog outfit she wore.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/01/10 03:20 AM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

...t'would be a mere flesh wound....
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/01/10 03:35 AM
\:\( Celine Dion A New Day is one of my favorite Blu Rays.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/01/10 06:16 AM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian

...t'would be a mere flesh wound....

No, no, no, no:

Point-ed stick? Oh, oh, oh. We want to learn how to defend ourselves against point-ed sticks, do we? Getting all high and mighty, eh? Fresh fruit not good enough for you eh? Well I'll tell you something my lad. When you're walking home tonight and some great homicidal maniac comes after you with a bunch of loganberries, don't come crying to me!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/01/10 02:40 PM
NOOOOO! NOT THE LOGANBERRIES!! \:o
Posted By: audiosavant Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/01/10 04:55 PM
I could get rid of any artist that uses auto-tuning as a "style"....

Amen brother!

Auto-tune is the "mullet" of audio, and will be remembered accordingly.

Now, I would also add drum replacement software abuse. Locking beats to a grid and replacing badly recorded drum sounds with hyper modern generic drum sounds makes crappy bands "sound" somewhat competent but makes my head hurt.

And of course, over compressed, dynamic range killing mastering practices that seems to be "fashionable" currently.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/01/10 05:14 PM
I agree with everything you posted there.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/01/10 05:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: Lampshade
:( Celine Dion A New Day is one of my favorite Blu Rays.

\:\) No need to frown, Lamp. I would never say that Celine can't sing, quite the contrary....I think her personality needs some work though.
Posted By: audiosavant Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/01/10 06:57 PM
What needs to go away is American Idol and all of the orifices attendant thereto...
Posted By: CV Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/01/10 11:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: audiosavant
And of course, over compressed, dynamic range killing mastering practices that seems to be "fashionable" currently.

If hi-fi ever grows into the mainstream, all of these recordings are going to seem pretty ridiculous. I think it's pretty short-sighted to master for crappy equipment.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/01/10 11:20 PM
I'd say all of the "artists" who were on Dick Clark's New Years Rocking Eve last night should be on this list. It was so painful.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/02/10 03:10 AM
 Originally Posted By: CV
If hi-fi ever grows into the mainstream...

\:D I doubt that will ever happen. It takes a lot more work and attention to the details to be worth the time to a majority of people.
Posted By: CV Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/02/10 03:16 AM
\:\) Ha ha, yeah. I guess I wanted to start the new year with a big dream.
Posted By: audiosavant Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/02/10 03:37 AM

\:D I doubt that will ever happen. It takes a lot more work and attention to the details to be worth the time to a majority of people.

True.

So (too?) many gadgets currently available to amuse the masses instead.

That's why I so loved growing up in the 70's, so many people into audio. Big ass speakers, reel to reels, super expensive Nakamichi worship... etc.

I still hold out hope that music in high res surround sound will capture the imagination of the young. All we need is a young artist/band to create the next "Sgt. Pepper" or "Dark Side Of The Moon" in that format exclusively. Oh, and for it to be popular. \:\)

Super Furry Animals tried at least with "Rings Around The World"...
Posted By: Murph Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/04/10 03:59 PM

I'm afraid your right. Case in point. Here at work today, two of my friends returned from the holidays bragging about their Boxing day finds. The first was a Sony receiver with no HDMI ports, a built in DVD player and only composite and older inputs,(that's right "composite".) But it was an awesome deal because it was a Sony was her reply to my inquiries. The other was a small subwoofer chosen because it fits in a cabinet.

I refrained from negatively commenting on their purchases so as to not destroy their excitement.

E
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Artists who need to "go away" - 01/04/10 04:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
I refrained from negatively commenting on their purchases so as to not destroy their excitement.

Crush them, Andrew. Crush Them.

They will never learn otherwise!
© Axiom Message Boards