Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Wid Harmony 700 - 01/01/10 04:56 PM

Does anyone here have any experience with the Harmony 700? My Harmony 659 is getting pretty long in the tooth and I want to replace it before it craps out. It's already missing a couple buttons. I don't want or need a bunch of fancy stuff just the basic one touch operation that the 659 has. I'd like to keep it around $125 or so if ya have a better model for the money let me know.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Harmony 700 - 01/01/10 07:55 PM
I have the Harmony One sitting in the box and am looking at returning it for the 700 or the URC R-50 which you might want to look at \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: Harmony 700 - 01/04/10 10:34 PM

I ended up calling Harmony and told them that a couple activity buttons have came off of my 659. Seeing it has been out of warranty for some time I knew it wouldn't be replace. What they did do was; the person I talked to gave me a 50% discount on a new 700. That's some pretty good cs imo. I'm very satisfied with the deal.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Harmony 700 - 01/04/10 11:43 PM
Awesome.

I wish my house was missing a button!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Harmony 700 - 01/05/10 12:06 AM
I wish I had thought of that when my 659 died, literaly, it was dead, wouldn't power up or anything, so I bought the 676, which worked better than the 659 ever did. I have the One now, just have to get it set up. One I have noticed with the 700 is that the rechargeabilty is limited to the use of a USB cable :(. Just for the cradle recharging station the One is worth the extra $. \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: Harmony 700 - 01/05/10 12:13 AM

I can live with the charging system on the 700 for the difference in price. At that the 700 looks like a nice upgrade from the 659.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Harmony 700 - 01/05/10 09:51 AM
The 700 is a nice upgrade from the 659 and you can still simply use any rechargeable AA batteries without needing to use the USB cable. I get the feeling the One is getting discontinued so the prices are starting to drop considerably.

Another option to the 700 is the URC R50 although it sounds like it is harder to program.
Posted By: JonHan Re: Harmony 700 - 01/05/10 01:02 PM
I've had the Harmony 700 for a week now and it works very well.
The only complaint I have is that it is limited to 6 devices.
Other than that I would recommend it.
Posted By: Murph Re: Harmony 700 - 01/05/10 01:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I wish I had thought of that when my 659 died, literaly, it was dead, wouldn't power up or anything, so I bought the 676, which worked better than the 659 ever did. I have the One now, just have to get it set up. One I have noticed with the 700 is that the rechargeabilty is limited to the use of a USB cable :(. Just for the cradle recharging station the One is worth the extra $. \:\)

Very nice indeed. So often, I resign myself to simply tossing something because I really hate haggling with people or even asking politely for help, for that matter. I blame my Dad's proud, stubbornness I think.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Harmony 700 - 01/08/10 11:35 PM
I finally got around to setting up the One. This is one slick remote. I never tried to get to indepth with the other Harmony remotes I have owned but this one is very easy to go in depth, set up sequences, add extra devices to their preset activities etc. The button feel on this is much better than the other remotes, it feels more like an OEM remote nice lay out and the touch screen is very clear. I now have listening to streaming music over the 3808 set up as an activity, this should make my wife happy.
Posted By: Wid Re: Harmony 700 - 01/09/10 02:38 AM
I received the 700 yesterday and got it set up today. It's pretty much is doing the same as the 659 except I did put in favorite channels on this one. It does seem the 700 runs a bit smoother, most likely it's the way it feels in the hand. Although there is no charging cradle it's nice it is a rechargeable model. It only took three hours to get a full charge.

Really pleased so far. I should look a bit farther into it to see what else can be done with it.

One other nice thing is the backlite is motion controlled. All it takes is to pick it up and the thing lights up, nice!

Posted By: jakewash Re: Harmony 700 - 01/09/10 02:51 AM
The motion wake up is a cool feature, the 5XX series has it and it was the only thing I liked about my 510.

The One went to full charge in about 20 min, love those Lithium Ion batteries \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: Harmony 700 - 01/09/10 03:01 AM

Wow, that was a fast charge.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Harmony 700 - 01/09/10 03:38 AM
I was actually surprised it was that fast. It came with enough of a charge for me to get it set up and play a little before it warned me the battery was low. I set it in the charger came back 20 min. later and voila! Full charge.

I am liking this remote more and more as I use it, the new design fits great in your hand.

I set up a 'soft' button on the touch screen that is the search function for paging up and down in the music server. I always had a hard time getting this function to work with the real 3808 remote. I can now flip through the music files very easily \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: Harmony 700 - 01/09/10 03:43 AM

I haven't really dug into the remote to see what all I can do with it. Give me a few days to get used to it then we'll get to see what can be done.

I tell ya this; it sure does seem like a nice upgrade from the 659, that's for sure.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Harmony 700 - 01/09/10 04:57 AM
Glad you like yours as much as I like mine. I even have the remote sending an aspect signal when it switches from watching TV (H-Just aspect) to DVD (full aspect). I still need to play around some more but I will be waiting till we move into the new house and I have the full system set up. As I mentioned earlier the charging cradle was worth the extra cost \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: Harmony 700 - 01/09/10 05:19 AM

I suppose so but I can't complain for $75.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Harmony 700 - 01/09/10 05:37 AM
We get so screwed up here , the 700 is ~$150 and I picked up the One for $199 on special for Boxing day sales, obvious choice for $50 difference. I think I would have gone with the 700 if I could get it for the ~$100 it should be up here.
© Axiom Message Boards