Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RayLewis Best User Names - 01/29/10 05:34 PM
I was on another forum and noticed that one of the user names on there was KilgoreTrout. I am a huge Vonnegut fan, and I thought that is the best user name I've seen on a forum. Anyone else ever come across user names that gave them a good chuckle or that they thought were particularly creative? No need to mention RayLewis, which is, of course, pure genius.
Posted By: Murph Re: Best User Names - 01/29/10 07:31 PM
While playing Everquest II online, I have seen some good ones. Some recent ones I can remember.

Our party's regular Enchanter, in charge of 'mesmorizing' monsters so we can take them on one at a time.

FN = Tranz LN = Inyourpanz

For the woodworking fans
Dremelis Rotarius

And my personal fav. which will only be funny for Canadiens.
A stealthy rogue named....

Cantseeme CauseImStevenHarper
Posted By: medic8r Re: Best User Names - 01/29/10 07:56 PM
I've seen some funny personal wireless network names online, like "GetOffMyLawn" and "ICanSeeYouNaked". I was going to name mine "4Girls4U" in honor of the medical students who live next door, but my wife is already tired of bailing me out of jail from all those false imprisonments I've been causing.
Posted By: Argon Re: Best User Names - 01/29/10 08:27 PM
I was on the AVS Sony XBR4 calibration thread and there is a one "GeneWildersHair".
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Best User Names - 01/29/10 08:29 PM
Back in the days of BBSes and modems, one of my high school friends went by "NO CARRIER". I thought that was the best name ever.
Posted By: Murph Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 02:15 PM
I regret that I'm old enough to find that one very funny.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 04:22 PM
Geez, that qualifies for being old?? I certainly hope not!
Posted By: RayLewis Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 06:24 PM
Me too, as I also got a kick out of "No Carrier."
Posted By: BrenR Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 07:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Back in the days of BBSes and modems, one of my high school friends went by "NO CARRIER". I thought that was the best name ever.
Ah, it was always fun to tell people to type +++ to access some special feature... that being the escape command, which would drop carrier.

Made it easier to get on the single line BBSes when people would randomly disconnect themselves.

Bren R.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 07:17 PM
Jesus, how old ARE you people?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 07:22 PM
You're still older, we were just geekier at a younger age.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 07:38 PM
Did anyone else customize their modem init strings? I remember having something like "AT&FM1L1V1S11=60".

S11=60 reduced the length of each digit's tone from the default of 95ms to 60ms, so I got connected faster. Every millisecond counted. \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 07:40 PM
I did enjoy the BBS experience, but I've flushed most of my knowledge, apparently. I do remember having to alter the modem init strings, but I can't say what I did.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 07:47 PM
 Originally Posted By: BrenR
Ah, it was always fun to tell people to type +++ to access some special feature... that being the escape command, which would drop carrier.

Made it easier to get on the single line BBSes when people would randomly disconnect themselves.

Correction, +++ would put the modem into command mode, but not disconnect. Although most people wouldn't know that ATO would put them back into data mode, and would eventually get frustrated and tell their software to hang up. Also getting someone to press Ctrl+S would mess them up, as that's the software flow control command to stop sending. Ctrl+Q was to start again.

I'm 33. I was one of the youngest people on the local BBS, and was actually made a co-sysop at 13 (mostly to reign me in and make me use my powers for good instead of evil).
Posted By: BrenR Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 07:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Did anyone else customize their modem init strings? I remember having something like "AT&FM1L1V1S11=60".
I had a custom init string, I can't remember what it was anymore.

Though I do remember that the VIC-20 screen memory started at 7680 and colour memory was at 38400 (and the offset between them was 30720)... in fact I remember almost all the decimal addresses for useful things.

I haven't owned a VIC-20 since I was in elementary school, but all that stuff stuck.

Bren R.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 08:03 PM
Yeah, truth be told, I'm not one of the younger members here. Tom nailed it though, I just never fully realized/developed my inner Geek. Much Geek is Greek to me.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 08:13 PM
You can be geek about some things and not about others. I'm sure you're much photo-geekier than most of us, for example.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 09:03 PM
I'm the same age as Peter and Chris, but I never used BBSes. So that makes them old and me young?
Posted By: Argon Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 09:18 PM
Is everybody except Mark and Me an IT Geek? : runs screaming from the room :

Of course you could say I am a Bird Geek.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 10:24 PM
No, Rob, I just like hanging around with Geeks.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best User Names - 02/01/10 11:58 PM
You're a DBA. Don't lie.
Posted By: RickF Re: Best User Names - 02/02/10 12:33 AM
 Originally Posted By: Argon
Is everybody except Mark and Me an IT Geek? : runs screaming from the room :

Of course you could say I am a Bird Geek.

Definitely not me either Rob, I'm somewhat of a bird geek also.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Best User Names - 02/02/10 05:54 AM
Get off my internet, all of you!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best User Names - 02/02/10 06:17 AM
The internet belongs to the young, old man.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Best User Names - 02/02/10 11:01 AM
Yeah, this series of tubes belongs to me too, you know!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Best User Names - 02/02/10 11:08 AM
 Originally Posted By: pumbuko

Originally Posted By: Murph
I regret that I'm old enough to find that one very funny.

I regret that I'm old enough to not have a clue as to what "No Carrier" refers. I'm not up on modern stuff (i.e anything post 1980). \:\(
Posted By: Murph Re: Best User Names - 02/02/10 12:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I'm the same age as Peter and Chris, but I never used BBSes. So that makes them old and me young?

I don't know but in another age revealing moment, if you put their names together, they become the drummer for KISS.
© Axiom Message Boards