Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bigwill2 Do you do your own taxes? - 02/05/10 08:45 PM
Again, I'm thinking I might try it this year. Do I need the software or what?

Anybody think they can point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/05/10 08:52 PM
El-turbotax-o. Of course, we only have the standard deduction...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/05/10 08:52 PM
Mrs. Tuttle does ours. But she does have a BBA.

Turbotax.
Posted By: Sloped Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/05/10 09:04 PM
Which country are you filing in?

US, Canada or your Swiss holdings?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/05/10 09:44 PM
We do TurboTax. I switched from the boxed software version to the online version last year and am happy with the experience. I've been a TurboTax guy for at least 6 years and really can't complain. It makes taxes straightforward enough that I actually don't mind doing them -- and we have to do the home and business version since my wife has her own business.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/05/10 09:54 PM
Cool. Thank you very much.

I'll look at online Turbotax and see if this simpleton can figure it out. Hopefully, my Swiss holdings and that Caribbean island I picked up on a short sale won't complicate things too much.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/05/10 09:54 PM
I have a friend that lets me and all of their friends use their ultimate version of TurboTax.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/05/10 09:56 PM
My wife is a CGA so we do our own... Although the Turbo Tax makes it pretty easy
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/05/10 10:03 PM
The good thing about the online version is you don't have to pay until you want to file.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/05/10 10:47 PM
I do my own, with a Bic Pen.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/05/10 10:52 PM
I've used TaxACT's free, online Federal filing, and then used Maryland's free, online State tax filing service for the Local/State side of things. TaxACT does as good as job as any other software I've seen. They do bug you along the way about paying for the premium service, but it's always an easy decline button.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/05/10 11:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
I do my own, with a Bic Pen.

This is unfathomable
Posted By: Adrian Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/06/10 12:00 AM
Your right. We're talking about government forms here....a crayon would be better.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/06/10 12:27 AM
TurboTax is good. I know many people that swear by it.

I use H&R Block's TaxCut. It does what it's supposed to do and I figure that H&R Block knows a thing or two about doing taxes. ;\)

I couldn't imagine doing my taxes by hand. If you can do that, more power to you. Your talents far exceed mine. TaxCut (and certainly TurboTax too) makes it easy because it walks you through your financial situation and figures out where you can get deductions and credits. And it finds things that I don't even know how you'd otherwise know about. Not without pouring over hundreds of pages of exciting IRS documents.

For instance, did you know that if you bought a brand new car after February 16, 2009 and have an income of less than 125k (MFJ: 250k), you can get a federal credit back on a percentage of state sales tax that you paid? I didn't. TaxCut did. Added several hundred bucks to my refund that I otherwise wouldn't have known about. That alone was well-worth the $29. \:\)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/06/10 12:28 AM
I use TaxACT to do our taxes. The Federal is free, but you have to pay like $15 if you want to file for state. It all is done through their website. Same concept as turbotax.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/06/10 01:47 AM
Another TurboTax user here. I've been doing my own taxes for a long time. I used to get mine prepared by a tax guy, and then, for kicks, I had my father-in-law do it in Turbo Tax. I got about another $500 using TurboTax because it has questions in there that it asks you that a tax person may not think to ask... And then the next year, the "tax guy" started using some computer software too (this was many years ago, so it wasn't unusual for taxed to be prepared with the ol' "Bic Pen") It will be TurboTax again this year!
Posted By: Wid Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/06/10 02:02 AM

TurboTax here also. Been using it for some years now.
Posted By: PhillipD Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/06/10 02:24 AM
I get an accountant to do mine this will be the third year now and I either did it myself or had the tax ripper off'ers do it. I will never go back worth every penny.

Canada that is.

later
Phil
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/06/10 02:32 AM
Tax Cut here like Peter above..
Posted By: grunt Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/06/10 02:51 AM
I get to go back to the EZ form this year. \:\) Last year I had to do the stupid regular 1040 to get my first time home buyers tax credit. My mortgage interest isn’t high enough that I can find enough other stuff to lump in to make it larger than the standard deduction.

Though this year I do have to make about half my IRA traditional rather than Roth to avoid paying 25% on the money.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/06/10 04:08 AM
Yeah, Mark; with a pencil for my copy and a pen for the IRS's.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/06/10 01:35 PM
Used to use QuickTax to do our income tax. In '08 switched to an accountant, I'll never do diy again.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/06/10 10:55 PM
OK, if you schmucks can figure out how to do it, I reckon I can, too.

I haven't done my own since I bought our first house in '98. Just about the same time I started voting Republican, too.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/06/10 11:24 PM
Don't worry about making any mistakes. Usually with good behaviour, they let you out in 6 months or so.
Posted By: RickF Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/07/10 01:05 AM
 Originally Posted By: FordPrefect
Used to use QuickTax to do our income tax. In '08 switched to an accountant, I'll never do diy again.

We've been using the same accountant for the past nine years Wayne, we'll never do the DIY again either.
Posted By: Sloped Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/08/10 03:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: FordPrefect

Been using QuickTax since 2000. It's great to be consistant over the years as it keeps track of things like Capital Gain/Loss and unused medical expenses and such.

For the Canucks on the board, many people at work have sworn by this free software site. StudioTax

Just for giggles last year I tried it after using the quickTax and it was within pennies. I know, should have been exact.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/08/10 11:17 PM
Turbo tax had some bad DRM a few years back, so I switch to TaxCut and have been happy since.
Posted By: rvrrat Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/08/10 11:31 PM
The thing that I have noticed about Turbo Tax is they don't seem to get it quite right until about March. I wait and then update thier software in about March and you are usually good to go.
Posted By: Ascension Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/08/10 11:55 PM
My bosses' wife has an accounting business. I've been taking mine to her for a few years now.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Do you do your own taxes? - 02/09/10 12:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: wid

TurboTax here also. Been using it for some years now.

Same here. The best thing is not having to figure out which forms you need to fill out.
© Axiom Message Boards