Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CatBrat CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 07:16 PM
This has got to be a joke.

Posted By: ClubNeon Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 07:20 PM
Not so much of a joke, as an urban legend. It's been going around for nearly 10 years now.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 07:21 PM
I've never seen it before.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 07:21 PM
I can't get the video to play on my computer. Is this the green pen one?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 07:22 PM
Yes, it is.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 07:22 PM
It keeps the lasers inside. Otherwise they escape, taking the valuable bits with them! Oh noes!
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 07:25 PM
Is green dye opaque to infrared? Wouldn't black also block the laser light? Do I care to really debunk this?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 07:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Is green dye opaque to infrared? Wouldn't black also block the laser light? Do I care to really debunk this?

Probably not. ||crawling under rock||
Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 08:06 PM
Well, hey, at least you didn't believe it!
Posted By: PhillipD Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 08:07 PM
Nothing like improving the sound quality of Adam Sandler I tell ya LOL.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 08:08 PM
Oh, I didn't mean that toward you. It's just a silly myth which I don't really feel like analyzing any closer.
Posted By: RickF Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 08:12 PM
That guy is probably trying to improve the SQ of his CDs that gets scratched from getting placed directly on surfaces ... like the table in the video. \:D

Posted By: CatBrat Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 08:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Oh, I didn't mean that toward you. It's just a silly myth which I don't really feel like analyzing any closer.

It's ok. I knew that.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 08:29 PM
Hey man, you don't really know unless you tried it. If it's not true, why do people sell green pens? Hunh? Hunh?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 09:03 PM
Well, believe it or not I tried it. I left one side of the disc edge alone and used the green on the other half, just to see if I could hear a difference between the first part of the song and the last. I'm pretty sure the green half of the track sounded better, but I may have been influenced by all the hype. Gotta do a DBT to be sure. Will reprot back later with the results!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 09:07 PM
I bet red ink would work much better.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 09:15 PM
But they made no mention of red ink in the video, so better stick to the tried and true.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 09:24 PM
Actually, (probably from sheer boredom), I've been going through each of my CD's at home and trying to find the ones with the best sound quality. About the only thing I've discovered, (which probably is nothing new to most/all of you) is that the older the recording the worse the quality. I've only gone through about 1/4th of my collection so far, listening to about 30 secs of the beginning of each song.

Here's a list of some of the best sounding CD's in my collection, so far:
La Sandunga by Lila Downs 2004
Border by Lila Downs 2002
She Wolf by Shakira 2009
Live at Mile High Music Festival by Dave Matthews Band 2008
From this moment On by Diana Krall 2009
The Fall by Nora Jones 2009
The Essential Neil Diamond (disk 2 only) 2001
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 09:57 PM
I usually find that the older a recording is, the better it sounds...at least through the 70s. The sixties was a mixed bag, likely because of the variable of which mixed bag was smoked.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 10:05 PM
Your talking about CDs made recently of older recordings?

So far, when I've purchased one of these, the quality is really bad. But I've just been purchasing rock from the late 60s and early 70s so far.

Edit: The quality also seems to be dependent on who the artist was. I have about 8 CD's by Ana Gabriel, older and newer, and all of them have poor sound quality.

Too bad CD's don't come with a quality rating.
Posted By: medic8r Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 10:07 PM
All of a sudden I've got the urge to put on a Doobie Brothers disc.
Posted By: RickF Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 10:14 PM
Speaking of Doobies, y'all should get a kick out of this ... Joe Walsh Interview

\:D
Posted By: Adrian Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 10:18 PM
Lol! good one Rick.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 10:24 PM
Of course it works. But the catch is that you also have to use an ionizer to remove any residual audio grunge, after you do the green highlighting. Then you'll get the full benefit.

I use this one.
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=IONOCLAST

;\) <----
Posted By: CatBrat Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 10:30 PM
LOL. Good one. I guess I'll have to quit rubbing my cd's on my cat before playing them.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 10:36 PM
One of my friend's girlfriends won't talk to me any more. She was going on about how she got this de-ionizer stirring rod for water which removes all the ions. All I did was give a response which I imagine most of you here would now expect from me. \:\)

P.S. If your cat can ionize your CDs, you need to stop feeding him uranium.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 10:41 PM
Wow, that would be some flat water...
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 10:57 PM
What I need is a de-covalenizer to stir my water with.

My biggest problems with these de-ionizers are:
1. The amount of energy required to create an ion is a lot higher than something you want to be holding in your hand. Like alpha particles from radioactive decay, or high energy photons from UV sources.
2. Unless you know the ionization state of an atom, you don't know if it needs a negative or positive charge to return it to it's normal state.
3. How do you select only the atoms which need to be deionized?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 11:07 PM
I bet she overlooked point #2, most people do.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 11:16 PM
Not to derail this important thread, but I've just discovered Neko Case
Posted By: RickF Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/08/10 11:25 PM
I've just discovered a cool Johnny Cash video.

Posted By: JohnK Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/09/10 03:52 AM
Nut, sorry but you're going to have to make your judgments a bit more quickly than first/last half. Since the rotational speed of a CD varies from about 480 RPM(inner grooves)to 210 RPM(outer edge), the "benefits" will appear and disappear every couple tenths of a second.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/09/10 04:05 AM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
I've just discovered a cool Johnny Cash video.

Johnny Cash never looked so good.
Posted By: Adrian Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/09/10 04:44 AM
Shakin' the money maker with Cash.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/09/10 04:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Nut, sorry but you're going to have to make your judgments a bit more quickly than first/last half. Since the rotational speed of a CD varies from about 480 RPM(inner grooves)to 210 RPM(outer edge), the "benefits" will appear and disappear every couple tenths of a second.

Yes, I realize that...I wasn't actually being serious about trying the pen. I apologize and hope nobody is expecting me to post any results.

Thank you though, JohnK, for taking the time to set a nut like myself straight. Good to know that no matter how crazy or stupid the question or comment, there is always someone on this forum willing to help \:\)
Posted By: Murph Re: CD sound quality video. - 02/10/10 12:36 PM
JohnK is a urban legend. His name has long been rumored as a voice of digital reason on audio web boards but he doesn't really exist. Anyone whom has claimed to have read his posts was probably just hallucinating from the effects of tube amp distortion.

Reports of people sighting him in person are always discredited by the claim that he has...........................a turntable arm where his hand used to be!!!
© Axiom Message Boards