Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Murph Can you identify this picture? - 03/03/10 07:01 PM
and no cheating!

Warning, Spoiler:
What you're looking at is a single groove in a vinyl record, magnified 1,000x. Those lumpy parts? Dust.

Posted By: Ajax Re: Can you identify this picture? - 03/03/10 07:03 PM
A record groove, perhaps?
Posted By: Murph Re: Can you identify this picture? - 03/03/10 07:04 PM
Cheater. LOL!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Can you identify this picture? - 03/03/10 07:06 PM
No, honest injun I didn't cheat. I was a radio disc jockey for several years, was a musician who did a lot of recording, and have seen photos, not that particular one, of record grooves before.

Makes one wonder how the heck the doggone needles stays in the groove.

I probably shoulda kept my mouth shut. Didn't mean to spoil the fun. I think many who view the photo will still be amazed by it
Posted By: RickF Re: Can you identify this picture? - 03/03/10 07:10 PM
Kinda looks like my straight lines that I've dug while repairing some of the PVC sprinkler lines in our yard.

But than again I dunno, my lines usually aren't that straight ... is it a quart of chocolate ice cream after somebody sneaked the first scrapings off the hard frozen top with a spoon?

I've bent spoons doing that BTW.
Posted By: Redo Re: Can you identify this picture? - 03/03/10 07:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
A record groove, perhaps?

Was my first guess as well, next would have been the post 2012 apocalypse
Posted By: Adrian Re: Can you identify this picture? - 03/03/10 07:35 PM
Interesting. I'm surprised how much "flat" there is on either side of the groove.
Posted By: audiosavant Re: Can you identify this picture? - 03/04/10 02:53 AM
It's the grand canyon of ((((SOUND))))
Posted By: dakkon Re: Can you identify this picture? - 03/04/10 05:47 AM
I though a piece of milled metal, under an electron microscope... sheesh just not on the same page as everyone else i guess....

I have been thinking about getting a record player lately though............

Anyone have a Rega?
Posted By: davidsch Re: Can you identify this picture? - 03/04/10 12:28 PM
I agree with Rick. My first thought was that it was chocolate ice cream that had a little spooned out.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Can you identify this picture? - 03/04/10 12:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ajax

Makes one wonder how the heck the doggone needles stays in the groove.

I wonder how straight the needle looks at 1000x magnification...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Can you identify this picture? - 03/04/10 03:58 PM
I was wondering if that was a new record or one that has been played a number of times. A comparison between a new one and one that has been played fifty or hundred times would be interesting, just to see how much wear the record incurs from playback.
Posted By: alan Re: Can you identify this picture? - 03/04/10 04:51 PM
Hi all,

I used to run that picture occasionally back in the vinyl era when I was editing Sound Canada magazine. I think the photo was originally done by Shure, who made perhaps the best cartridges at "staying in the groove", especially highly modulated grooves towards the inner part of an LP. Those would defeat most cheap cartridges unless you used a really high tracking force, like 3 to 5 grams, which would chisel out high frequencies after a couple of plays. The top Shures in a custom arm would track cleanly at 1 gram, even in the inner grooves.

Actually, given how primitive vinyl recording and playback is, it's amazing that it can sound as good as it does--when everything is in alignment. Most vinyl devotees have no idea just how much distortion they are listening to when things get loud or heavy deep bass is recorded, and it increases dramatically as the tonearm tracks inner grooves. Of course, groove noise can effectively mask a lot of distortion, kind of like road and tire noise in a car at highway speeds can cover up a lot of car stereo problems.

Regards,
Alan
© Axiom Message Boards