Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CatBrat Raid 1 - 03/05/10 10:42 PM
When I built my computer last year, I purchased 2 1T hard drives and set them up as a Raid 1 mirrored pair. Whenever I leave my computer for too long, like take a nap, it tends to lock up (using Vista), then I have to do a hard reset by holding in the power button. Then it starts rebuilding my raid which takes about 3-4 hours. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. Perhaps I could just make an adjustment in the power settings to not go to sleep after a certain time or something.

Edit: Well I changed the power settings to High Performance with Never for when to put the computer to sleep. Maybe that will fix my problem.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Raid 1 - 03/05/10 10:51 PM
I assume you have an Intel chipset? Update your drivers.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Raid 1 - 03/05/10 11:01 PM
Yeah, that's the setting you want to change. You can, just set the machine to never sleep while still using the Balanced power plan, which may save some electricity, and generate less heat.

You'll still be forced to do a rebuild on any improper shutdown. You should see how long three RAID6 arrays of eight 1TB drives (that's 24 TB, minus 6 TB for parity data = 18 TB of storage) takes to recheck. (It's about 16 hours.)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Raid 1 - 03/05/10 11:04 PM
You should be able to sleep with no problem, if your drivers are of the right revision. We had a hell of a time with those before we updated them in the middle of last year.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Raid 1 - 03/05/10 11:04 PM
Intel, yes. I updated the motherboard with new firmware the day I got it up and running.

I just recently reloaded Vista and have had misc. problems ever since. I've been waiting on getting Windows 7 64 bit. Perhaps this will alter my decision to get it sooner, rather than later. I hope this product is the full version and not the upgrade version.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Raid 1 - 03/05/10 11:08 PM
They update the drivers all the time. Worth checking. Our desktops use Vista, and although we rarely sleep them, we don't have any problems like that.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Raid 1 - 03/05/10 11:19 PM
Ok. I found this website. I'll give it a go after the raid rebuild is complete.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Raid 1 - 03/06/10 02:03 PM
Last night after the raid rebuild, which took 6 hours, the system locked up on me immediately and I had to do another hard reset and run the raid rebuild again. But this morning it's going ok.

This Intel website did me no good since mine is a custom build. I ended up going to Gigabyte website and installing chipset drivers. And going to NVIDIA website and installing video drivers.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Raid 1 - 03/06/10 06:34 PM
Boy, I really got things screwed up. I lost my internet connection and couldn't get it back. I reloaded Vista again, then found the disc that came with my motherboard. After loading the Ethernet drivers on this disc, I finally got access to the internet again.
© Axiom Message Boards