Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zimm All DACs not equal - 03/24/10 10:20 PM
Surprising to me, but when I changed out my Onkyo desk stereo with Burr-Brown DACS for a cheap little Behringer U-Control, the sound quality improved noticeably. Both output USB signal to same Onkyo TX-SV727 AVR via RCA and on to the same speakers.

But when the Behr is used, the clarity is much better, background all of a sudden sounds quiet, and thus fine details come out - i.e., the old "hey, is that a continuous guitar pluck I had not noticed on that song I hear at least 3 times a week on this system?"

Anyway, I know many will say it is the Pixie Dust I snort, but I fully expected the Behr to sound much worse than the Burr-Brown DACs, if any difference was found. The only factor I can see is that the Onkyo pre-amp outs were at a much lower volume (gain) level. But not sure that would cause the MP3-ish sound it had compared to the Behr.

Just tossing that out for your general amazement.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: All DACs not equal - 03/24/10 10:27 PM
Amazing.

Got a line for me?
Posted By: fredk Re: All DACs not equal - 03/24/10 11:24 PM
\:D
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: All DACs not equal - 03/25/10 12:10 AM
As you said, it may not be the DAC, but the pre-amp stage which comes after it. Too, the implementation of the DAC could be at fault, along with the relative age of the components. It's the recent Delta-Sigma DACs which are all basically equal to each other. Comparing any one of those to and older MASH, or 16-bit 40x Oversampling, will have differing results.
Posted By: JohnK Re: All DACs not equal - 03/25/10 01:44 AM
Yeah, Charles; whatever the cause was of the difference you heard, it's a near certainty that it wasn't the DACs. As Alan and others have pointed out, DACs have been a mature technology for quite a few years now and the small measurable differences that still exist have no audible significance. The concept of using the unit with the "better" DACs is badly outdated and Burr-Brown has been just a division of Texas Instruments for about a decade. They continue to make excellent DAC chips, of course, but no longer with any advantages over the several competitors in the industry. In some quarters a mystique still exists for the name "Burr-Brown", but it no longer has a factual basis.
Posted By: Zimm Re: All DACs not equal - 03/26/10 04:28 PM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
In some quarters a mystique still exists for the name "Burr-Brown", but it no longer has a factual basis.

I really didn't expect a difference. But the Onkyo is an older unit, so Chris' explanation does seem to fit, as the Behr is new. As for the preamp, I'd think the Onkyo would knock the sox off the little 1x3x5 plastic Behr U-control unit. It is not even powered, beyond the USB. The Onkyo is a nice sounding, well built amplified office stereo.

No facts here, just my opinions, but still surprised.
Posted By: Zimm Re: All DACs not equal - 04/11/10 03:52 PM
Still being surprised by the DAC in the Behr. Listening to many old songs on the iTunes rotation and much better experience.

two more cents...
Posted By: chesseroo Re: All DACs not equal - 04/11/10 04:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: Zimm
Still being surprised by the DAC in the Behr. Listening to many old songs on the iTunes rotation and much better experience.

And to continue the arguments of devils' advocate, your evidence that determines it is the DAC and no other component or stage in the unit that is causing a potential difference in sound?
Posted By: Zimm Re: All DACs not equal - 04/22/10 09:08 PM
None. I should say I'm enjoying the better sound I get from this little box than the bigger more expensive box it replaced. DAC, power, whatever. This is USB powered, but you are right, I lack the evidence to prove my overall belief.

I can live with that.
Posted By: Murph Re: All DACs not equal - 04/27/10 07:00 PM
In short, you are happy. That is all that matters.
Posted By: Zimm Re: All DACs not equal - 04/30/10 08:36 PM
Yep. But a post of "I'm happy" would not generate the chatter I was looking for!
\:\)
© Axiom Message Boards