Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C IEM evaluation - 04/17/10 08:05 PM
Well, look at that, I actually bought something I was talking about buying on the forums. ;\)

Top row: the incumbents.
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Sennheiser HD570
AKG K81DJ

Bottom row: the challengers, in order of price
Wicked Little Buds (bought 'em on Yelp for $2.99)
Sennheiser CX300-II
iMetal iM-590
Etymotics ER-6i
Grado iGi

The purpose: to have something I can use on airplanes and public transit that
a) don't compress my head so that it hurts to exist (eg: AKG K81DJ) or otherwise hurt.
b) aren't incredibly heavy and awkward (HD280 Pro)
c) sound good with movies, TV, and music.
d) I can wear with a hat.

The plan:
Using the HD570s as my gold standard (yeah, yeah, you headphone geeks out there...), I'll compare the IEMs using an iPod and my laptop as sources. Coincidentally, those are the devices I'll be using on the plane and public transit. I'll return 3 of the sets to Headroom.

So far:
Tested the Wickeds with Pandora and an IBM netbook when I got them (yes, not the normal protocol, but...). They're pretty much junk. Sound like a boombox. Too much midbass, nothing in the treble. Surprise! Somewhat awkward to put on, but maybe I'm not used to IEMs yet.

Started testing the Grados with iPod tracks (Audioslave, Metallica, Lonesome River Band, Bela Fleck, Blues Traveler, Dire Straits, Moxy Frouvous). Here's my notes:
Midrange/upper bass a little too much. Very detailed, although they seem a bit recessed, depending on the track. Decent bass. Source dependent. No significant cord noise, decent fit w/ regular tips. Easy to put on. Possibly a little pain left ear. Not particularly sensitive. Some stuff I haven't heard before. Better w/ acoustics than electrics. Really want to like them...
Blown away by HD570s. Seriously blown away.

Next up are the iMetals. Mainly because I need to check with Headroom and see how they want me to deal with the heat sealed packages on the Etys and the Senns.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: IEM evaluation - 04/17/10 10:47 PM
Thanks, Ken! This is very valuable to me, although I expect that MY end result is going to be "I can't spend that kind of money on headphones".
Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 04/17/10 11:10 PM

Looking forward to your findings Ken.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 04/17/10 11:32 PM
Tom, perhaps I should point out that my price range on these is between $2.99 and $90.

So far I'm really liking the iMetals, although I haven't even tested them long enough to post notes.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: IEM evaluation - 04/17/10 11:44 PM
Ken, I look forward to hearing your further impressions.
Posted By: CV Re: IEM evaluation - 04/17/10 11:44 PM
Yeah, do Christopher Walken.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: IEM evaluation - 04/18/10 02:31 AM
In your price range, I'd suggest looking at head-direct's RE0 ($79) and ThinkSound Rains (~$65 on buy.com).

I've demo'ed both because of great recs on head-fi. My buddy got the RE0's and I found the mids/highs VERY impressive. I love my Rains. Great isolation and slightly better bass than the RE0's.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 04/18/10 02:55 PM
Well, here's a few more notes:
iMetal
Very sensitive. Min volume on the laptop is pretty loud.
comfortable. good highs, decent bass. Some microphonics, not bad.
Good bass, perhaps a little strong. Nicely detailed. Good isolation. I like these! Not trying to convince myself I like them, like the Grados. Treble possibly a little thin, could be the source.

Back to the Grados.
switched tips, much better. stronger bass, better treble, mids. poss. still muffled.
direct compare between the two, the grado feels denser. The iMetals seem a bit tinny. Weird. (Sting-Hung My Head)

Megadeth-Hangar 18, pretty much the opposite. Grados sound thin.

Bela Fleck-Variations in C on God Save the King- had a hard time putting both in. Hard to tell.

Fit makes this very difficult.

U2-Elevation. When the bass kicks in, the iMetals move me. Doesn't hurt that I love the song. I can hear the tape hiss on the Grados. Immediately, the midbass feels fat, the treble hot. Makes the song kind of unpleasant, really. How disappointing. Gad, you'd think these things were Axioms or something. Too revealing?

Tried wearing the iMetals for a more extended period while putting clothes away, feeding cats, etc. Now I understand why people were complaining about microphonics. Bangbangbangbang go the cords. I put on the clip, which made them a little better. Still quite tolerable for my purposes. Hopefully the Etys or the Senns will sound as good with less microphonics.

I still want to like the Grados, but I think they would be a compromise to a great extent. And compromising up to my highest priced headphone doesn't make sense.

Still no word from Headroom on whether I can cut open the boxes for the other two and still return them. If not, they're going back un-listened to.
Posted By: Adrian Re: IEM evaluation - 04/18/10 04:53 PM
What are most manufacturer's policies on returning earbuds?

I know I wouldn't be too happy about finding an ear hair or worse attached to my purchase.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 04/18/10 04:57 PM
Oh, they say don't return the tips.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: IEM evaluation - 04/19/10 03:59 AM
I'm eager to hear your impressions of the Etys. I like them, but I've never pitted them against other headphones, not even my own Denon AH-D950.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 04/19/10 04:39 AM
I'm eager to hear them, too. The fit and getting these things installed in my head is really bugging me. I was kind of afraid of this when I went down this road, but so be it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: IEM evaluation - 04/19/10 05:02 AM
Are you giving yourself a reach around tug when installing them?

...[pause for dramatic effect]...

And by that, I mean are you reaching over your head with the opposite hand and gently pulling up and back on the ear that you're installing the earphone into? That's how I used to do it. Now I've adopted a one-handed technique:

For the left ear, I partially insert the plug into the ear with the left hand, then while using my left index finger to push up and back against the antihelix I use my left thumb to insert the earphone the rest of the way.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 04/19/10 05:05 AM
Yeah, I can do the reach around with my left ear, but the right is giving me trouble. I'll have to try your way. Right now my ears are too sore to keep pulling on them.
Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 04/19/10 10:42 AM

You can use a little olive oil on the tips of the iem to help ease of installing them in your ear. I do like Peter says, tugging up on your ear really helps a lot too.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: IEM evaluation - 04/19/10 09:07 PM
I'd use mineral oil before olive oil, but a little lubricant is a good idea.
Posted By: jakewash Re: IEM evaluation - 04/19/10 09:09 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I'd use mineral oil before olive oil, but a little lubricant is a good idea.
You guys make it too easy \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 03:56 PM
Well, I've now tried all 4 sets. The Grados have gone back into the box, and the Senns barely made it out--very disappointing, almost as bad as the Wickeds. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the Etys, but I should give the iMetals another shot. The Etys definitely have the best isolation, but my ear canals still feel like they're being violated.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 04:43 PM
Did you look at the graphs Headroom provides before you purchased these? The measurements are awful. . It might not tell you the entire story but it will give you a good idea. Your apple iBuds would work just as well as those when it comes to sound quality. If you are looking for anything that resembles the "Axiom" sound these won't be it. The frequency response graphs are similar to those of Bose headphones. Quiet comfort series.

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center...pare+Headphones
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 04:48 PM
I did, but I was going off of Axiom forum member advice on the Senns, and purchase advice from Headroom on the rest. I can't afford the ones that have lovely flat curves... \:\)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 04:55 PM
The Shure SE210 measure very well. They are only a bit more expensive at $149.

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center...pare+Headphones
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 04:56 PM
You just linked a Denon. Here's the Shure graph:
[url]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1043[/url]

Ah, I see what the problem is. The close brackets in the URL are messing with the link. Nemmind.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 04:58 PM
Not sure why I linked the Denon, fixed it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 04:59 PM
Well, if you overlay the Etys, they appear better on first blush than the Shures.

[url]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1043&graphID[]=753[/url]
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 05:07 PM
They do. I should have paid more attention to that first graph I posted and looked at each one more carefully.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 05:10 PM
Yeah, normally I would have skipped a couple of those due to the graphs, but the "what to buy" article on Headroom was rather convincing. The Grados were just stunningly bad for the price.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 05:19 PM
Yeah. If you are spending like $10, $20 or even $30 or $40 dollars its reasonable to be able to live with the flaws and get great enjoyment out them. But once you start getting into $80+ range you expect a lot more. Uh no, they got to go!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 05:28 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
Uh no, they got to go!

...go go godzilla!

Nice to hear the Etys rose to the top. I like it when I can benefit from the hard work of others. \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 09:12 PM

I must be tone deaf, I think the Senns sound pretty good. They are not Axiom like in sound but for an inexpensive bud I think they sound good.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 09:26 PM
Naw, I think you have an earlier version which probably sounded a lot better. I have the v. IIs of them.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 09:39 PM
Yeah, if you do an overlay between the two versions, you can see a signficant drop in the treble on the II.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=793&graphID[]=1893

Err, use copy and paste on that.
Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 09:47 PM

I'll be. I've had mine for a while, looks like I won't go back to them if and when they break.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: IEM evaluation - 04/22/10 10:28 PM
I tried using [img] tags and those didn't work. I guess its best to copy directly from the web browser at the top of the screen and paste that link.
Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 05/11/10 06:09 PM

So Ken, what iems did you keep? I'm seriously thinking about a new pair too.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 05/11/10 06:27 PM
I kept the Etymotics. They were the best by a long shot. Excellent seal, too.
Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 05/11/10 06:29 PM

Nice, I was just looking at them. Trying to find the best price.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: IEM evaluation - 05/11/10 06:34 PM
I know that Headroom has open box models (with the tips replaced) for a pretty good price.
Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 05/11/10 06:35 PM

I'll take a look, thanks.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: IEM evaluation - 05/11/10 08:19 PM
Whats your budget wid? Amazon usually always has the best prices while headroom is great for graphs (finding a sound signature that will fit your tastes) and other information pertaining to headphones.
Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 05/11/10 08:32 PM
Under $100 would be nice. I have a set of AL im716s that I like but they do require an amp (I use a cMoy). My favorite sound sig from a headphone has been the Grado sig. I have had the SR325s, still do have the SR60s and the iGrados, plus others.

Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: IEM evaluation - 05/11/10 09:17 PM
At the risk of sounding like a shill... ;\)

I still like the RE0's and Thinksound Rains for under $100. I'm also a Grado sound aficionado and those 2 have quite a bit of detail for the price. For the seal, you can always buy after market or replacement tips and use those tips that you prefer. I used my UE tips on my friend's RE0's and they work fine. Sometimes the connecting diameter is different but because it's rubber, there's some play involved.
Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 05/11/10 09:25 PM

I was taking a look at the REO's, folks really give them pretty good praise.
Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 05/13/10 12:05 PM

Has any of ya tried the Etymotic HF5s. Looking at their graph they are real close to the ER-4s.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: IEM evaluation - 07/01/10 05:31 PM
I think I'm going to buy some Etymotic HF 5's today. I too would be curious if anyone else has tried this model?

Thanks.

Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 07/01/10 09:59 PM

I did end up buying a set. I've had them for a while now and am quite pleased with them.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: IEM evaluation - 07/01/10 10:27 PM
Great! Thanks for the input. They are $115 on amazon which seems to be a good price.
Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 07/01/10 11:07 PM

That's right about what I paid ($117).
Posted By: terzaghi Re: IEM evaluation - 07/02/10 03:57 AM
So I started looking at other options and am somewhat undecided now frown

I read some reviews of people stating that the cable frays easily near the plug... have you had any problems with this wid?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: IEM evaluation - 07/02/10 04:27 AM
OK, so i stopped second guessing myself and bought the HF5's. I will report back when I get to try them out.
Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation - 07/02/10 11:07 AM
I haven't experienced any fraying of the cable. Their CS is equal to Axioms which is a plus.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: IEM evaluation - 07/02/10 10:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. Estimated delivery date from amazon is July 8th.. woohoo!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: IEM evaluation - 07/08/10 02:28 AM
My HF5's came in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately, I am out of town until tomorrow so I haven't had an opportunity to give them a listen yet. After I have had an opportunity to listen to them for a few hours or more I will let everyone know what I think of them.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: IEM evaluation (ETY HF5 review) - 07/10/10 12:08 AM
After 5 or more hours of listening today and yesterday here are my impressions of the HF5's:

The HF5's came packaged with 4 different ear tips. It included a small and standard flanged tip, a foam tip the shape of a cylinder, and a semicircular foamy/ rubbery tip. I am using the smaller flange tip with them as the larger flange tip seemed to be a bit too large. I never bothered with the other two tips since I found a comfortable tip that seals well. These things provide AMAZING noise reduction from the outside world. It is just like a pair of earplugs that play music. This has both its pros and cons... I was able to focus at work without any outside noises from coworkers which was nice. However, My computer faces away from my office entrance and I could not hear anyone that was trying to talk to me, even with the volume super low. I plan to get a small mirror to hang above my monitor so I can see people who come in to talk to me. There is some cable noise for sure when moving around but I don't find it overly distracting. I was able to wear them during my workout without too much problem, but having the ears sealed wasn't very comfortable when lifting heavy weight.

The HF5's sound very good and are a definite step up from the supplied iphone earbuds I have been using. Music is straight forward with an excellent midrange. Lows are nice and tight and not the least bit over emphasized. The highs are decent, but these definitely sound a little "laid back" compared to my Axiom M80's.. not in a horrible way but they are missing the "livenliness" that I get from my axioms for sure. Cymbals aren't as crisp and clear, but vocals and acoustic guitar are perfect.

Overall, I am very pleased with these earphones. They seal extremely well in my ears and are pretty darn comfortable to me. I would say these get me at least halfway or more to the sound of my m80's at about a tenth of the cost, and in an extremely portable version. I would recommend these to anyone in the market for IEMs at the approximate $100 price point. Hearing how good these sound does have me chasing for something even better but I'm afraid that I'd need to venture into the $300+ price range for that.

Posted By: Wid Re: IEM evaluation (ETY HF5 review) - 07/10/10 01:45 AM

Nice, glad you enjoy them as much as I do.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: IEM evaluation (ETY HF5 review) - 04/10/12 03:28 PM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
I would say these get me at least halfway or more to the sound of my m80's at about a tenth of the cost, and in an extremely portable version.

I came here to update my review of the HF5's and re-read what I had put here.

I think what I meant to say in the above quote, is that these get me at least halfway to what I imagine my m80's would sound like in a Portable version... if that makes any sense. I was already discounting certain aspects of the m80's due to it being a tower speaker (soundstage, low frequency presence, mid bass thump, etc. when I was comparing the two.

In any event, the update to my review:

I am still happy with the HF5’s but had to get a warranty replacement due to the fact that my cable had frayed near the plug in. The replacement had a red-designed plug in (curved, thicker). After one year, the cable is now splitting near the plug in again.

Fortunately, I have until June until my 2 year warranty is up, so I will send in for one more replacement next month. We’ll see how long the next replacement will last…

Posted By: terzaghi Re: IEM evaluation - 04/10/12 05:38 PM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
So I started looking at other options and am somewhat undecided now frown

I read some reviews of people stating that the cable frays easily near the plug...

Guess these reviews were right!
© Axiom Message Boards