Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 03:08 PM
I have a client that's requesting an old "drape-opening" effect for the beginning of a video. We don't have the time, and she doesn't have the budget, to do anything with a graphics artist. She mentioned that it's something she saw on an old TV show; she thought it was I Love Lucy but I can only picture the "heart" graphic at the opening. My employee Melissa thought that she remembers old cartoons having the effect.

Can any of you picture a "curtains or drapes opening" beginning to a TV show? I might be able to find it on TiVo and key it into my needs.

Thanks in advance!

Posted By: Murph Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 03:23 PM
Are you suggesting you are going to bootleg a clip from a network TV program???? After all your speeches about intellectual property???????

Just kidding dude!

Perhaps Dean could help you out. He has some pretty big curtains for his HT area. Perhaps he could rig up some opening pulleys, film it and then you could edit in an appropriate background scene?

It's a stretch but I can't think of any curtain opening scenes except for maybe animated ones in Bugs Bunny.

Also, do you have a local community theater where you could film a curtain opening? The empty, dusty stage background with a couple of strategically placed random props scattered about might make for a nice scene.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 03:37 PM
Film you curtains opening at night?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 03:47 PM
Just wanted to acknowledge my sympathy for your problem and my complete inability to be of assistance.

Have a great day!
I actually DID consider videotaping actual curtains opening... but I was hoping I could get something today.

If I can find what program she's thinking of, I can TiVo it, put it on DVD, and bring it into the edit system to put her graphics "behind"...(it's just for an opening title).

Yes, I DO believe in protecting copyright, but as I'm just looking for a two-second portion of a program, I think it's comparable to "sampling" a small portion of a song as opposed to ripping the whole song.

Besides, at this point, it's supposed to be funny so I believe it'll fall under the "parody" guidelines.... \:\)
Awww, Tom, you didn't need to acknowledge your complete inability to be of assistance.

It's generally assumed.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 04:08 PM
Wait, I thought there was an effect like that in Adobe Premier. I seem to recall something along those lines back in version 4. It was in the transitions.
Posted By: Murph Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 04:16 PM
Well, if your going to take me seriously. heh heh.

You could also pay a ridiculous amount of money to a stock photo/video websight.
or
if you have good capture software, Youtube has a few options such as ...
This one. Animated but pretty real looking

Not the retro look you were probably looking for but might do in a pinch.

Speaking of retro and since you said it will be humorous. How about the opening of the Muppet Show? Dubb in a different intro message over Kermit's Intro. The backdrop rises up with him in it staring downward and then the curtains open.

YouTube version but you would have to TIVO or go elsewhere for image quality.

Posted By: Murph Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 04:25 PM
I'm so exited about the Muppet intro that I was going to edit out my other ideas!!!!!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 04:29 PM
Muppet Show - I like that one.

BTW, I do a mean Kermit impression, and my voiceover rates are cheaper than my therapy rates.
Posted By: fredk Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 04:31 PM
$12.99? You could use the same sign.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 04:31 PM
I apparently do a very good Grover voice. Who knew?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 04:33 PM
I love screaming "Hello Ev'rybodeeeeee!" as Grover.

My other Groverism is "Would you like a sandwich?" although I think that's an inside joke with my brother. Yeah.
Posted By: Murph Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 05:07 PM
"Oh no Sir. I would not recommend the BIG Burger Sir."
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 05:31 PM
The closest thing I can find to curtains is a barn-door effect. I just threw together a demo clip that uses it.

http://gallery.me.com/thebukos#100115
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 05:32 PM
Oh my god, you ripped Sunny in half!

You bastard!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 05:37 PM
I also found an Adobe premiere plugin-in, although this is a pretty basic transition:

http://www.burgers-transition-site.de/downloads/transitions/transitioncurtain.html

I was expecting the curtains to be pulled back diagonally.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 05:41 PM
The one I recall did have them going back diagonally.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 06:34 PM
 Quote:
my voiceover rates are cheaper than my therapy rates

...and just as effective!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 06:38 PM
Tom, I sent you that PM about a minute too soon.

My ears must have been burning, or else I'm scarily in tune with the multiverse. Whoa.

Anyway:

Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I also found an Adobe premiere plugin-in, although this is a pretty basic transition:

http://www.burgers-transition-site.de/downloads/transitions/transitioncurtain.html

I was expecting the curtains to be pulled back diagonally.

Peter-
That one just might work! I hadn't found it in my searches....

I have lots of transitions that are more like "splits" (as per your demo) but this one "crunches" the top layer a bit which is more realistic. If I combine it with a photo of drapes (or simulation thereof) I think it'll work out well!

Thanks!

The rest of you can go back to giving each other crap! \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 06:46 PM
Didn't most of the old variety shows from the 50's era have some type of curtain opening. What about Carol Burnette Show? how did that one start?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 06:47 PM
I'd like to stay and keep giving YOU crap.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 06:49 PM
Tom is an example of a resistant therapy patient.
Look..... see?
Adrian is being helpful... and then there's Tom.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 06:50 PM
Get out the EST kit! Shock him, shock him!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 07:00 PM
Just a momentary dosage problem, I assure you.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Odd question- need some quick help.... - 04/29/10 07:27 PM
It's "helpfull Thursday" today....(ab)normal programming will resume tomorrow.
© Axiom Message Boards