Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Argon Laser Pointers - 05/07/10 04:43 PM
Does anyone know anything about the current offering of Laser Pointers? Specifically, Green Laser? Apparently, there is a liberal usage of the power ratings?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 12:03 AM
 Originally Posted By: Argon
Does anyone know anything about the current offering of Laser Pointers? Specifically, Green Laser? Apparently, there is a liberal usage of the power ratings?

I find a high level of irony in a thread about lasers posted by a guy nicknamed "Argon"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_laser#Argon_laser
Posted By: Argon Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 02:08 AM
THAT's pretty good. The nickname goes back to the college days. It started out as R-san. One night after some serious partying as I was draped immobile over the recliner - somebody who was in freshman chem said "R-san....more like Argon the fully inert gas". It stuck.

The laser is for my Birdwatching class. I have a Dr. from the local hospital in the class and he came in with a green laser. It is bright enough to be seen during the day and is a great way to point out the birds (which can be quite difficult to locate) to the new class members. Beats trying to point out specific branches 50 feet away in a stand of trees with just a finger and words.....
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 03:03 AM
They make good cat toys.
Posted By: Argon Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 03:14 AM
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat
They make good cat toys.

You don't have any Blinded cats do you? \:\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 10:51 AM
If the lasers are strong enough, can you blow the birds up?

That's not really the point of bird watching, is it?
Posted By: Argon Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 11:15 AM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

I don't know about shooting them down - but I guess I could blind them?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 02:41 PM
Read some of the laser pointer "hobbyist" forums. You won't want a high-power model to play with anymore.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 03:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat
They make good cat toys.

That is true, they love chasing the dot.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 03:12 PM
But would they enjoy a green beam laser? I thought that was the point of the green ones, you can see the beam.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 03:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Depends, there's no explicit rule in bird watching that says the bird needs to be in any specific state, so technically you'd still be "watching."
Posted By: CV Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 05:24 PM
And everyone loves explosions. It would be interesting to find out which birds pop with the most satisfying sound.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 10:40 PM
LOL! And see if the explosion sound quality has any relation to the bird call quality. Linear, inverse ...
Posted By: RickF Re: Laser Pointers - 05/08/10 11:09 PM
Speaking of laser pointers, I was reading a couple of days ago that one of the agricultural aircraft manufacturers we use now offers a laser altimeter that can be “zeroed” for landing gear height and is accurate within 1.2" ... meaning I will be able to read the laser altimeter and get within an inch or two of the top of the crop instead of 'feeling' the height by running my wheels through the crop.

I'm getting one of those things.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Laser Pointers - 05/09/10 04:04 PM
Rick the Barnstormer!! \:D
Posted By: Argon Re: Laser Pointers - 05/10/10 11:38 AM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Read some of the laser pointer "hobbyist" forums. You won't want a high-power model to play with anymore.

They have forums?
Posted By: Murph Re: Laser Pointers - 05/10/10 04:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
meaning I will be able to read the laser altimeter and get within an inch or two of the top of the crop instead of 'feeling' the height by running my wheels through the crop.

Certainly explains all the headless scarecrows you sometimes see.
Posted By: Argon Re: Laser Pointers - 05/13/10 11:40 AM
Got the pointer yesterday. It is definately bright enough to be seen in the daylight against trees and leaves. I took it out last night - it is like holding a light sabre. I tried to "PoP" some bugs with it - no dice. They didn't even start smoking - you know, like with a magnifying glass.....
© Axiom Message Boards