Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta Online job suggestions/help - 05/07/10 08:30 PM
Hey guys,

Do any of you guys know of any reputable online job opportunities where you work out of your own house? Many of you know my situation and that I'm bedridden at least 50% of the time, so a job outside of my house isn't feasible.

Honestly, I don't need the money (I'm not rich by any means. I just live by a philosophy that if I'm getting by comfortably, I'm lucky), and quite enjoy my free time to do whatever, whenever I want. That said, it would give me something to do, and possibly help my mental state and physical health by getting my mind off things.

One of my caregivers mentioned that a friend of hers had an online job in which she edited papers of some sort, correcting grammar etc. Not that I'd be good at it, but just one suggestion thrown around.

If you guys could help me out it will be greatly appreciated. Heck, maybe someone at Axiom will read this and have something in mind \:\) .

Thanks,
Cam
Posted By: Adrian Re: Online job suggestions/help - 05/07/10 09:06 PM
Cam, I think I'd fire off an email to Canada Manpower and explain your situation to them, perhaps they can help you out and make some recommendations to you. I "hear" about online jobs, but I don't really know what they entail.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Online job suggestions/help - 05/07/10 09:18 PM
Another one I know of is closed caption transcription. If you can type and take dictation, you could watch TV and then transcribe the dialogue, complete w/ typos. ;\) I see the typos all the time.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Online job suggestions/help - 05/07/10 09:25 PM
Thanks Adrian, I'll definitely give that suggestion a try.

By the way, the name of that organization, suggesting sexual exclusivity, has always been a pet peeve of mine.

Hijacking my own thread!
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Online job suggestions/help - 05/07/10 09:33 PM
 Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
Another one I know of is closed caption transcription. If you can type and take dictation, you could watch TV and then transcribe the dialogue, complete w/ typos. ;\) I see the typos all the time.

Great suggestion but I can't type, I use voice dictation. Also, I really don't think I could handle it; my mom did that for probably 30 years at the hospital.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Online job suggestions/help - 05/07/10 09:50 PM
Have you heard of the Mechanical Turk? It's a service that Amazon runs. I've not used it myself but there's a large variety of tasks.

https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome?variant=worker
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Online job suggestions/help - 05/07/10 09:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
By the way, the name of that organization, suggesting sexual exclusivity, has always been a pet peeve of mine.

Well, then, for hupersons everywhere, let's change it!
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Online job suggestions/help - 05/07/10 10:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Have you heard of the Mechanical Turk? It's a service that Amazon runs. I've not used it myself but there's a large variety of tasks.

https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome?variant=worker

Thanks! I hadn't heard of it, but I'm checking it out as we speak. Actually, I signed up, so I'll see how things go.

As always, you guys are great. Keep them coming \:\) .
Posted By: fredk Re: Online job suggestions/help - 05/08/10 12:05 AM
If I lived closer, I'd give you my laundry.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Online job suggestions/help - 05/08/10 12:14 AM
\:D \:D \:D
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Online job suggestions/help - 05/08/10 01:52 AM
A good start might be to use the CONTACT US LINK to send your inquiry as well browse this website for information.

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/

http://www.jobsetc.gc.ca/categories.jsp?category_id=110&crumb=1&crumb=36
Posted By: bridgman Re: Online job suggestions/help - 05/08/10 02:48 AM
I remember reading about small "virtual companies" where all the different functions were scattered around the world and the challenge was keeping everything moving, sort of an online project manager / organizer / expediter kind of role. Something like that would probably be a good fit - more reading than writing so voice dictation would be OK, and main requirements are being smart, organized and pushy ;\)

I'll see if I can dig up anything more recent.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Online job suggestions/help - 05/08/10 11:48 AM
Dr., contacting the websites you linked to is a good idea. I've been skeptical of the online jobs offered on the job bank.

Bridgman, that sounds intriguing. The smart, organized and pushy part is another story HEHE.

Thanks guys.
© Axiom Message Boards