Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Potatohead Life - 06/06/10 07:46 PM
Has anyone seen this? I am seeing some commercials on TV, and I absolutely love Planet Earth... Does this even compare at all? It also looks as if there is a UK version with David Attenborough and then the North American one with Oprah... I would assume the former is much better?

Posted By: alan Re: Life - 06/06/10 08:29 PM
I like Planet Earth but I don't think I've seen "Life." I'd remember it if Oprah hosted.

I would assume the UK version is likely much better. That's true for most TV series that originate in the UK and are later done in a version for American audiences.

I loved the British version of "The Office". The only reason that the US version turned out quite well is that Ricky Gervais, who wrote, produced and starred in the BBC version, was the supervising producer for the US version.

Alan
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Life - 06/06/10 09:46 PM
Life had some amazing "How'd they get that?" cinematography, but for some reason, it just didn't seem to flow as well as "Planet Earth".

We were recording it on the TiVo, but after the third episode, just decided to delete them. Really, though, that cinematography was often amazing.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Life - 06/07/10 01:13 AM
I noticed it's on Discovery HD... I'll record a few and see what it's like.
Posted By: DreamTheater Re: Life - 06/07/10 02:45 AM
It's tremendous! Some of the macro views are the most beautiful images Ive seen in high def. Top of the line reference Blu Ray for me... BUT GET THE DAVID ATTENBOROUGH NARRATED VERSION. I cant believe they have the Oprah version in America, ugh...what are they thinking? Insulting to me personally, like you have to dumb down nature to me. But a great blu ray nontheless, $50 for 4 discs!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Life - 06/07/10 10:20 AM
I have to admit, though I never really singled out Oprah as a reason why the series never "clicked" with me, I found myself thinking "So when did Oprah become a voiceover actor?"
Posted By: Adrian Re: Life - 06/07/10 01:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I never really singled out Oprah as a reason why the series never "clicked"

Maybe with her, it "clucked"?
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Life - 06/07/10 11:19 PM
I would definitely get the Attenborough version, it's on Amazon.ca for the same price as the Oprah one.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Life - 06/07/10 11:40 PM
I watched about half of the series on discovery HD and enjoyed it. I liked planet earth better as well though
Posted By: mpyw Re: Life - 06/08/10 09:49 AM
I have that and loves it....and I think Deep Discount selling at $36.67 with code GREEN4 (for both Attenborough and Oprah version)
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Life - 06/08/10 11:10 PM
I watched one last night, the insects one... Just awesome and mega interesting. I think parts of it were kind of "photoshopped" or whatever the equivalent is in video, but overall it was a great show.
Posted By: DreamTheater Re: Life - 06/08/10 11:23 PM
Nooooow you tell me mpyw. For the price everyone should be jumping on it.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Life - 06/10/10 09:17 PM
It's on its way!

© Axiom Message Boards