Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki PS3 BD - 07/10/10 04:57 PM
Does any of you guys uses the PS3 as a BD player? How would you rate it on scale 1 through 10?
Posted By: CV Re: PS3 BD - 07/10/10 05:18 PM
I like the PS3 quite a lot as a Blu-ray player, but I've only had experience with it and the OPPO BDP-83. I would rate them evenly, really. I'll put them both at 8 simply because I wouldn't mind load times being even faster. Chris can explain why he likes the PS3 so much.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: PS3 BD - 07/10/10 07:00 PM
I use the PS3 and would rate it an 8 or so as well. only reason not a 10 is because when I eventually buy a nice universal remote I will have to get a bluetooth to IR converter... or just wait till a nice universal remote with bluetooth capability is released.
Posted By: CV Re: PS3 BD - 07/10/10 07:03 PM
Yeah, Logitech needs to make a new top-model Harmony with Bluetooth, I think. The need for a converter is one of the things keeping me from buying one.
Posted By: fredk Re: PS3 BD - 07/10/10 07:06 PM
I use a PS3 as well. You put the disc in, it plays. Works for me...
Posted By: cb919 Re: PS3 BD - 07/10/10 09:50 PM
I really appreciate the PS3 as Blu-Ray player. I occasionally have to use a 'regular' Sony BD player over at the in-laws and it is painfully slow to load and play compared to the PS3. I know there are some new players (like the Oppo) that are as fast, but overall I think it's quite a good player.
Posted By: fredk Re: PS3 BD - 07/10/10 09:56 PM
Quote:
I occasionally have to use a 'regular' Sony BD player over at the in-laws and it is painfully slow to load and play compared to the PS3.

My last post was kind of tongue in cheek. I was thinking of the VCR and CD player. Eventually there will be no difference between players, but we are not quite there yet.

The scaling of DVDs the PS3 seems pretty good. I don't know if the Oppo is better or not. The Oppo being a universal player makes it a better choice in my mind, but at the time I was looking at the PS3 for some games for my son so it won out.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: PS3 BD - 07/11/10 04:56 AM
I use my PS3 8 to 12 hours every day, and I hardly ever play games.

I have an original 60 GB model, but it's now been upgraded with a 500 GB, hybrid (still a spinning disk, but with supplemental flash memory as a read cache), 7200 RPM drive.

The PS3 has good (but not spectacular) DVD upscaling. It's loads BDs fast, and has the best compatibility rating for new discs (studios don't dare release titles without testing on the PS3). It handles BD audio perfectly, decoding the main track to LPCM, and still mixing in the secondary audio at full quality. The newer models can even bitstream, and switch on the fly to LPCM when mixing is called for. Sony is also upgrading the system for 3D BD support very soon (if you're into that kind of thing).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: PS3 BD - 07/11/10 03:55 PM
You seriously watch 8-12 hours a day?
Posted By: CV Re: PS3 BD - 07/11/10 03:58 PM
When have his figures been wrong?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: PS3 BD - 07/11/10 04:08 PM
Of course, as soon as I posted that, I realized he could be listening to music for at least 20 minutes of that.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: PS3 BD - 07/11/10 04:57 PM
If you want to be suitable impressed factor in that I don't have cable/satellite, and everything I watch comes from the Internet or disc. So it's not just idling on some channel, I'm actively selecting content to be viewed.
Posted By: Zarak Re: PS3 BD - 07/20/10 05:05 PM
Where do you find the time. I'm assuming you are not employed and are independently wealthy! wink
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: PS3 BD - 07/20/10 05:12 PM
I do sleep only 6 hours a night, maybe that helps.
Posted By: fredk Re: PS3 BD - 07/20/10 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
I do sleep only 6 hours a night, maybe that helps.

I hate you! I stop functioning if I get less than 8 for very long.
Posted By: jakewash Re: PS3 BD - 07/21/10 01:45 AM
I get about 4 a night and am lucky to get an hour or 2 nap in the afternoon before heading in to work.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: PS3 BD - 07/21/10 05:12 AM
I can function on 4, and do it quite often if I find myself distracted at night. I've never slept much, even as a baby I tortured my parents. Just always seems like there's something else to do, read, watch, etc.
Posted By: jakewash Re: PS3 BD - 07/21/10 06:49 PM
Sleep gets in the way of getting things done.
Posted By: fredk Re: PS3 BD - 07/21/10 07:52 PM
Unless you actually need it. I can get away with 7-8 in the summer, 8-9 in the winter. Anything less than that over an extended period of time and I stop functioning.

I suspect a lot of people are like that, but cannot accept that conclusion.
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: PS3 BD - 07/22/10 12:01 AM
I fell really great when I sleep 8 hours, but actually I am having trouble sleeping. Since last year I sleep around 5 hours a day after spending a month sleeping 1 or 2 hours one day and the next I would sleep around 5 or 6 and there were a couple of times I didn't sleep for more than 2 days so I had to go to the doctor to get some sleeping pills. LOL Since then I just can't sleep as much as I did before.
Posted By: grunt Re: PS3 BD - 07/22/10 07:15 PM
Like Chris I also watch 8-12 hours a day thought that goes up to around 18 or more on days off. I am also w/o a TV connection so my use is mostly targeted disc and internet. I do listen to random music I’ve ripped off internet radio for new bands I might like.

Same here on the sleep around 6 hours or less. Another thing on sleep is supposedly you sleep less as you get older which seems to be the case for me. However, about once a week I do sleep around 10 hours. It’s the night after I do my long run so my body is wasted.

I can say w/o a doubt I’m getting my monies worth from my HT system. smile
Posted By: fredk Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 12:29 AM
Quote:
Like Chris I also watch 8-12 hours a day thought that goes up to around 18 or more on days off.

Wow! I probably only watch one movie a week.

I waste alluse my recreational time on the forums and reading.
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 01:03 AM
LOL I watch at least one movie a day and listen to lots of music. Now with my new system I have been watching more movies though. Since I like PC games too my time is divided between this things and my musical instrument playing hobby. Also I have exercise everyday because of my back condition, so yoga and stretching is part of my routine. smile
Posted By: CV Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 03:57 AM
Originally Posted By: grunt
It’s the night after I do my long run so my body is wasted.

How long is your long run these days? Aren't you the guy who has done ultramarathons?
Posted By: grunt Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 04:56 AM
Originally Posted By: CV
Originally Posted By: grunt
It’s the night after I do my long run so my body is wasted.

How long is your long run these days? Aren't you the guy who has done ultramarathons?

This time of year a 20-25 miles on the flat is a really long run, which I’ve only done once this month due to temperature. Like last Friday when I went out to run it was 117F. I did 5 miles and nearly died. Typically at work I run 2-4 miles depending on how much time I have and since I‘m usually running around 3-4PM.

Like yesterday my car pool buddy and I ran about 4 miles along the Salt River’s Rio Salado Project:

http://www.phoenix.gov/RIOSALADO/rionewest.pdf

Today we did the Mormon Trail, Mormon Loop, Javelina Canyon Trail and back around on the flat but it was cooler,100F-90F range, and overcast.

http://phoenix.gov/PARKS/hiksogud.html

Although the temperature is rough the worst part is actually the sun beating down on you. I can almost double my distance at a given temperature if the sun is obscured.

I do have to watch my distances on work days because I’m running on my exercise time and usually have to go back to work on the flight line. We were only able to do the mountain today because we knew that the night mission was going to weather cancel which happens a lot this time of year. Gotta love a job that pays you to keep in shape.

I don’t feel like an ulra-runner right now. The last ultra-distance I did was 50K back in May.
Posted By: CV Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 05:09 AM
That's still insane to me. I'd like to run at least a bit, but I'm self-conscious and haven't exactly been feeling motivated to exercise lately. I think having a friend to go run with would help, but it would have to be someone I know well or I'd be even more self-conscious. Ha ha. I'd be pretty happy if I did a few 2-3 mile runs per week, with the occasional 5 mile run thrown in for good measure. I've never actually done a 5 mile run. 3 is about as far as I've gone. I occasionally enjoy the feel of sprinting (or used to), but distance running never quite hooked me. When did you start to love running?
Posted By: fredk Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 05:58 AM
I watched a guy run 50K once. That was enough for me.
Posted By: CV Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 06:05 AM
That sounds taxing enough, yeah.
Posted By: grunt Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 06:28 AM
I had asthma as a kid so id didn’t run much early on. I didn’t start running until my freshman year of high school in the mid 70s. I got my start running the mile and a half home from school. It was a contest with my friend John with whom I shared a last period German class. I would take off straight from class and he would go grab his bike and catch up with me. It was always a contest to see how far I could get before he caught up. I’ve run all my life since then except when I had a broken leg.

My first “Ultra Run“ was an accident. I ran the first leg of a 50 mile relay but was a much better runner than the second guy so he asked me to pace him on the second leg. Then the other guys started egging me on and next thing I know I had run all 50 miles. I was totally hooked. It’s not like I hadn’t done a few 50 mile forced marches before that anyway.

I use running as a recreational drug. Running mellows me out otherwise I’m normally like “The Great Cornholio.” I would run before going on a date, before giving a speech or a job interview as a way of self medicating. Except when it’s to hot to run fast I can induce a runner’s high almost any time I want. So in many ways running a an addiction for me. Without it I feel like crap, can’t sleep, almost put pick-axes through the heads of A-holes who try to cut in front of me in line a Home Depot (came close until he understood I would really do it). So I’ll run at least until I don’t have a job that requires piss testing, cause there’s easier ways to release cannabinoids into my brain. wink

If you do want to start running more the best thing you can do is just start going out and doing it.

First get a checkup if you haven’t seen doctor in awhile. Get the right running shoes for you. A workout partner can be very helpful in keeping you motivated even on days you might not want to run. I generally prefer to run alone but have been running with my car pool buddy because of a new stupid rule that if it’s over 100F you have to have a partner to exercise outdoors on government time. I’m seeking a waiver since I haven’t died doing it in the last 35 + years but it’s your government were talking about here. Besides at these temperatures I’m not running that fast anyway and having a hot little 22 year old to run with isn’t all bad. wink

Clubs can also be fun if you want running to be social. The Hash House Harriers is a great club (I do enjoy hash runs) if you enjoy or want to enjoy running and drinking beer. Because of the nature of a “Hash” having false trails the lead runners are always getting sidetracked so slower runners are never left far behind. Also at most Hashes competitive running is punished.

You may or may not be able to achieve a “runner’s high,” not everyone can. But if you are inclined to try this guide might help:

Runner's High

Also if you do try to take up running get fitted for a good pair of shoes that are right for your feet/gait. Dropping weight which often comes with running also makes running easier. If you haven’t been taught how to run before then it wouldn’t hurt to find someone to coach you. Good running is not as simple as putting one foot in front of another.

Keep I mind running is not for everyone. You might find your body won’t tolerate it. But if you get proper shoes, learn to run correctly, drop some weight if needed, find interesting places to run, listen to music (I hate that the most), meditate (I often chant mantras while I run, especially when it get very painful), find a partner/club can all help change running from a chore to something fun.

On On!
Dean

Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 06:28 AM
That's still insane to me. I'd like to run at least a bit, but I'm self-conscious and haven't exactly been feeling motivated to exercise lately. I think having a friend to go run with would help, but it would have to be someone I know well or I'd be even more self-conscious. Ha ha. I'd be pretty happy if I did a few 2-3 mile runs per week, with the occasional 5 mile run thrown in for good measure. I've never actually done a 5 mile run. 3 is about as far as I've gone. I occasionally enjoy the feel of sprinting (or used to), but distance running never quite hooked me. When did you start to love running?
Maybe ig you go chasing after some hot girl that might give you some motivation. LOL
Posted By: CV Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 06:35 AM
Thanks for that great post, Dean. It makes me a bit more excited about running, that's for sure. I'll never be at your level, but it would be nice to get out there and do some.

Of course, I also kind of want to see you as "The Great Cornholio." Ha ha.
Posted By: CV Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 06:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki
Maybe ig you go chasing after some hot girl that might give you some motivation. LOL

Well, that's one reason I need to start exercising again. The girl who's expressed the most interest in me lately is much younger and besides that, way better looking. I should at least TRY to deserve the attention.
Posted By: grunt Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 06:40 AM
Thanks for that great post, Dean. It makes me a bit more excited about running, that's for sure. I'll never be at your level, but it would be nice to get out there and do some.

Of course, I also kind of want to see you as "The Great Cornholio." Ha ha.

I have a Cornolio T-shirt.

If you do take up running be patient and try to stick with it for a while. You might find that it just grows on you. If not you’ll still likely be healthier for trying and it might lead to something you like better such as biking or just hiking. Hiking hills is a good workout itself.
Posted By: CV Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 06:41 AM
Good point on the hiking. I've always enjoyed it when I've gone. I should find a buddy for that, too!
Posted By: grunt Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 06:44 AM
Good point on the hiking. I've always enjoyed it when I've gone. I should find a buddy for that, too!

I find girl buddies the most motivating. wink
Posted By: CV Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 06:45 AM
laugh We'll see what I can scrounge together.
Posted By: Murph Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 01:20 PM
Hiking with girls is like a night at the bars. The deeper you end up in the woods, the better the girl looks.... smile
Posted By: Adrian Re: PS3 BD - 07/23/10 01:33 PM
Just don't get so lost, the Grizzly Bears look attractive.
© Axiom Message Boards