Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mpyw Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 12:31 AM
Recently had been real busy at work due to some moron assigning moron's work to me...so there has not been time for sitting down to enjoy any movies...but have been fun watching some comedy drama with with on DVD (YES, it's SD DVD!), and it's on stereo only.

So, I've been thinking would any of you guys will just get fedup, with the setup you have but really got no time to enjoy it, would you just thinking of get rid of them and get a simple HTiB and get on with life with more empty space in the living room?

I told my wife that and she said I am crazy....
Posted By: Wid Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 12:39 AM

I agree with your wife, wise woman.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 01:22 AM
I will never part with my system, stepping down to a HTIB is crazy talk. I don't get to enjoy my system to it's fullest very often either but when I do it is a great feeling.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 01:24 AM
Ditto here. I might as well go back to a "Made in Japan" transistor radio they used to make back in the 1960's.

Edit: Are any of you old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" was stamped on all of the cheap junk?
Posted By: snazzed Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 02:57 PM
Why on earth, if you already have a good Home Theatre, would you go to the effort of getting rid of it and replacing it with something inferior?

I just don't get it. I mean, you would have to do work to downgrade with no visible benefit. How much space are we seriously looking at? The footprint of your mains?

snazzed
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 03:03 PM
Getting rid of my sound system? Ahhhh! That's why I did things in the right order: complete sound system THEN girlfriend for life!

Sounds to me like you should get a less harassing job!
Posted By: Murph Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 03:09 PM
Unless you need the money, I agree with the crazy diagnosis. I assume your work can't take up 100% of your time forever. If you downgrade, you will just have a another bitter memory for those few and hopefully future times that you do get use it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: mpyw
Recently had been real busy at work due to some moron assigning moron's work to me...so there has not been time for sitting down to enjoy any movies...but have been fun watching some comedy drama with with on DVD (YES, it's SD DVD!), and it's on stereo only.

So, I've been thinking would any of you guys will just get fedup, with the setup you have but really got no time to enjoy it, would you just thinking of get rid of them and get a simple HTiB and get on with life with more empty space in the living room?

I told my wife that and she said I am crazy....

Whaddya tryin to get banned or something?? grin

Seriously, though, that kind of question on this forum (or any other A/V forum) is pretty much going to get you the same predictable responses. I'm with everyone else and say you're nuts, but I do realize that HT/music isn't everyone's cup of tea, so do what makes you happy.

If the experience of a good sounding movie/soundtrack/music CD just doesn't do anything for you, then maybe a HTIB is all you need. Or, if just seeing all that nice equipment sitting around being under-utilized really does stress you out to the point where it affects your quality / enjoyment of life, and you feel strongly that seeing more empty space instead will actually help improve your quality/enjoyment of life, then a HTIB is probably all you need.

If you do, OTHO, have any appreciation for the occasional good movie/soundtrack/music CD, then I think you will regret getting rid your setup.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 03:30 PM
I really do understand. You'll no longer worry about keeping up with the latest codices (?), wanting a new this and a new that, upgrading, upgrading, etc. It's like constantly having to "feed" one's PC.

The fact that your wife thinks it's a crazy idea should tell you something. And like it's been written here, to a man, you'd really, REALLY notice it's disappearance. There's a good reason those are such tried and true blues lyrics. "You gonna miss her when she gone [sic]."
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 03:46 PM
I think I'd prefer to stay with outdated stuff than to use an HTIB. Oh wait, that's what I'm doing. And I don't use my system much, either. I use my Audiobytes a lot more.
Posted By: fredk Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 03:50 PM
I'm pretty much in line with everyone else. No way would I go back now. I couldn't give up on the rumble for movies, the clarity of movie dialog and the all around amazing quality of sound for either movies or music.

I seem to go through spurts times where I don't use the system much, but have never regretted spending the money.
Posted By: CV Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 04:17 PM
Yeah, I think I'd go with NOTHING AT ALL before I went with an HTIB.
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 04:44 PM
Anything is better than HTIB even NOTHING! LOL smile
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 05:15 PM
How does HTIB work, actually? You put the box over your head and it gives you surround sound? Are there holes to allow you to see the TV? Do you need multiple HTIBs if you have multiple seatings?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 05:17 PM
Funny. Mine worked best when I took it OUT of the box.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 05:17 PM
I think you're supposed to take the boxes out of the main box, then put all 5 of them on top of your TV. You might want to hook up the little wires from one or two of them to the bigger box.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 05:37 PM
My brother had all 5 little cubes sitting on top of his TV (my old 36" Wega). I just cringed, and walked away.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 07:17 PM
Quote:
My brother had all 5 little cubes sitting on top of his TV (my old 36" Wega). I just cringed, and walked away.

I actually laughed out loud when I read that and pictured it! laugh
Posted By: RickF Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 07:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Spoiler
Quote:

I actually laughed out loud when I read that and pictured it! laugh

That made laugh also! laugh
Posted By: snazzed Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 08:23 PM
Didnt' make me laugh... I've seen it far too often.

snazzed
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 08:30 PM
Yeah, I've seen that all the time!
Posted By: cb919 Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 08:55 PM
I've got a colleague at work with the same 5 in a row setup! At least he makes fun of himself for it. smile
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/14/10 09:17 PM
Next time we see one of those line-ups, I think a "shell game" is called for.

"Keep your eye on the left channel!"
Posted By: CV Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/15/10 04:26 AM
My friend in Portland has the same sort of setup. Crappy HTIB with all of the speakers on top of the TV. He knows better, but he really doesn't care. Audio is not one of his pursuits.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/15/10 09:35 AM
By "friend", you really mean "wife", don't you Charles?

C'mon. You can tell us!
Posted By: CV Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/15/10 04:41 PM
If only. He makes decent money.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/15/10 04:49 PM
You could always go the Alan Shore/Denny Crane route.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/15/10 06:53 PM
I can relate to this, unfortunately. When I get into something I REALLY get into it, and if I can't get as into it as much as I want to, for whatever reason, I get turned off and kind of push it away. I guess it's all or nothing with me.
Posted By: mpyw Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/16/10 12:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Potatohead
I can relate to this, unfortunately. When I get into something I REALLY get into it, and if I can't get as into it as much as I want to, for whatever reason, I get turned off and kind of push it away. I guess it's all or nothing with me.

Yeah...That's how I feel....but I did have some time like 60 mins last night to watch some concert...man, the sound still thrill me...NO, NOT any HTiB can reproduce that :p

So, I am keeping the setup and maybe just need to stop visiting those hi-fi shops and stop reading Axiom forum, then I will be fine :p
Posted By: jakewash Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/16/10 02:04 AM
Keep reading the forum and try to listen to the system as often as posisble; IMO, that is the best anyone can hope for wink
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Cooling off from Home Theather - 07/16/10 02:47 AM
Never!
© Axiom Message Boards