Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Scamp What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 01:13 AM
Fortunately mine for today is an almost stupid thing.

I started a thread called "Break in, fact or fiction?" but before I hit "submit" I thought, wait I better search this one first. So I did.

*whew*! That was a close one.
Posted By: fredk Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 02:01 AM
Played golf. Frustrated the hell out of myself today until the last hole where I hit a picture perfect drive, good chip onto the green and two puts for a very satisfying par.

I left the course thinking I can play this game so I will come back for another round of frustration.
HA! That's what it WANTS you to believe!
Posted By: Murph Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 11:31 AM
On the weekend I learned that believing you can drop a football into the deck of a 20' wide fishing boat and not have it bounce out into the water, despite the boats width.... Let's just say it was my first swim of the day.

I later learned I hated my buddy who threw the same football about 200 yards at the small skiff, while it it was in full motion and landed it dead in the boat and it didn't bounce out. The hatred faded after a couple more beers but the amazement remains.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 11:51 AM
200 yards, wow he should be in the NFL. smile
Posted By: Murph Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 12:06 PM
Well, I should also mention that my sense of distance might have been slightly impaired at the time. cool But it was an impressively long throw, worthy of attracting a scout's attention for sure.
Originally Posted By: Murph
worthy of attracting a scout's attention for sure.

Or theirs:

Posted By: sonicfox Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 03:24 PM
Well, last night, I made blueberry ice cream. Long story short, I broke a glass sugar shaker in the process, and managed to get hot blueberry syrup all over the counter as well as on the floor. Oooh...I was SO mad! That's why I don't cook much!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 03:27 PM
Great thread concept!

As for me, nothing worth noting yet, but the day is young.
Posted By: Adrian Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 03:35 PM
Today?

For the last 8 days I have been redoing my porch in flagstone...before I started, I thought it was a great idea. I finally got the last stones cut, fitted and cemented down to the porch yesterday. Today I have been applying a grout release, and am now waiting for that to penetrate the stone so I can begin grouting. This grouting ain't gonna be fun. I thought tiling and grouting the kitchen was a big job, but....
Posted By: Murph Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 04:02 PM
So...... your saying getting stoned in your porch isn't as much fun as you thought?
Posted By: Adrian Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 04:04 PM
I think I'll "flag" your post, Andrew! wink
Posted By: Adrian Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 04:05 PM
That sounded funny in my head, but reading it?
Posted By: Murph Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 04:07 PM
Ahhh, you probably misinterpreted me as thinking of "Stoned" in the biblical sense. Sorry, that wasn't what I meant. /em snicker
Posted By: Adrian Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 08:02 PM
Can't put the dang grout down, it's way too hot. They say the temp should be 26C or less, it's 32C without the humidity...I think I'll have to wait till Friday by the looks of it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 08:05 PM
Forgot I had phone duties from 12:30 to 1. Then told a caller that I had forgotten.

The next person that called, I forgot to turn off my Audiobytes before I picked up the phone.

I'm feeling competent today.
Ken, go help Adrian!
Posted By: medic8r Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 08:35 PM
I ate a Hot Pocket from the work frig that was labelled as "Best by Aug 2009". Tell my wife and kid that I love them.
Posted By: Adrian Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 08:36 PM
Mark, you're about 2000 miles closer....
Posted By: medic8r Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 09:00 PM
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
... I forgot to turn off my Audiobytes before I picked up the phone.

What'd they get an earful of? Barry Manilow? Miley Cyrus?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 09:11 PM
Megadeth. Fortunately, the song hadn't really started.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/04/10 11:06 PM
Got up at 5:30 to go to work...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/05/10 01:19 AM
I just agreed to meet a lady at Applebees tomorrow after work that I've never met before.
Posted By: fredk Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/05/10 01:20 AM
That's more painful than stupid. I was up as 5:40am.
Posted By: RickF Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/05/10 01:30 AM
I leave my house at 4:45am ... with a return trip of 6:30 in the p.m.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/05/10 01:37 AM
Asked my wife why her home made cobbler didn't look like the picture in the recipe...
Posted By: RickF Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/05/10 01:44 AM
Ouch.
Posted By: Scamp Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/05/10 01:45 AM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Asked my wife why her home made cobbler didn't look like the picture in the recipe...

*Ding* *Ding!*

We have a winner!

Do you need a place to sleep tonight?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/05/10 02:14 AM
Nah, I recovered later by telling her that it was the best tasting cobbler I have ever had wink
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/05/10 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I just agreed to meet a lady at Applebees tomorrow after work that I've never met before.

Let's hope she's not high maintenance and complains about the fact that all the food at Applebee's tastes the same and how they probably put a bunch of ingredients into blenders and pour them into food-shaped molds.
Posted By: cb919 Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/05/10 01:58 PM
I recently learned you never ever talk about your female colleagues tattoos when lying in bed with your wife! Not sure where my filter was that night. confused
Posted By: CatBrat Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/05/10 02:27 PM
We're just going to Applebee's for a coke and a chat. Just rying to make some new friends and then introduce them to the Axiom sound.

Hey, I've gone almost a full week without something breaking... Ooops.
Posted By: medic8r Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/05/10 08:39 PM
LOL @ terzaghi, that was good stuff.
Posted By: Adrian Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/06/10 12:12 AM
I finished the grouting on my flagstone today, WOO HOO!!

....but not until after I spent too much time applying the first batch with a grout bag, then went back to the bucket for a refill my trowel was standing upright in the mortar. The bucket, the mortar and my trowel were as one.
'eeeese a plantah, wright?
Posted By: Adrian Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/06/10 01:56 PM
I think I will present it to the art crowd, they'd be impressed with my representation of the plight of nature(the trowel) being encrouched upon by mankind(the mortar) in a limited space(the bucket). For sure this will put me in the running for the "Mummified Rat-on-a-Tripod" at the Artsy Fartsy Awards.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/06/10 05:07 PM
grout bag?!?! You're insane.

I'm actually a lot better at grouting than I am at setting. I have a persistent lippage problem.

Looking forward to seeing your craftsmanship!
Posted By: Adrian Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/06/10 05:24 PM
Grouting kitchens/bathrooms which I thought at the time I did them was difficult, was eazy peazy compared to the flagstone. The type of grout I used, seemed harder to get the correct consistency on top of that, which alters not only the density of the grout, but also the drying time and the colour as well. Thank God I put a couple of coats of penetrating sealer down BEFORE I grouted...I think otherwise, the haze/staining of the grout would have been permanent(I'm still periodically wiping it down).

Couple more days of curing, then it's time to seal the grout.

Actually, Tom, the grout bag was very helpfull on this type of job because of the uneven surfaces. I wasn't sure about using it before I started the job, but after the fact, I don't think I could have been able to get the mortar right into the joints without it.

I have some bits of flagstone left over...thinking about making a patio out back(someone slap me quick!).
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/06/10 05:59 PM
SLAP SLAPPITY SLAPINATOR SLAPTASTIC SLAPORAMA SLAP!!
::Bit*h Slap::
Posted By: Adrian Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/06/10 06:47 PM
I've been Slappified to the 7th degree, Slappinated even.
The Great Slapfest of 2010.
Posted By: Adrian Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/06/10 08:16 PM
Which one of you guys is Moe?
Posted By: fredk Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/07/10 01:51 AM
You've been slapped stupid. Now you can go out and do more stuff to post about in this thread.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/07/10 04:05 AM
I worked four hours of OT and neglected to call my wife.

Oops.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/07/10 04:10 AM
hssssoooooo....
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/07/10 05:23 AM
I would have called after 3 and a half, max.
Posted By: RickF Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/09/10 10:53 PM
Not today but yesterday morning while fueling the boat with gas I was completely startled and shocked to find that 15.36 gallons of regular unleaded gas had found it's way into the bilge of the boat.

On that note...

Let me just say the next time I'm reading one of the fishing forums I frequent and come across a thread or a post regarding gas being inadvertently pumped into the bilge of a boat because somebody mistakenly placed the fuel nozzle in one of the flush gunnel rod holders rather than the gunnel fuel filler I won't be so quick to think to myself "What sort of idiot could ever do something so STUPID?!"

Posted By: merchman Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/09/10 11:03 PM
Damn rum makes it hard to focus! eek

Never gas up in the morning! laugh
Posted By: RickF Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/09/10 11:13 PM
That was the reason I broke into the rum yesterday Ed!

Actually gassing up in the morning wasn't the problem, the problem was that the step ladder I keep in the back of the truck specifically for fueling the boat without having to reach above my head remained in the back of the truck whenever I was fueling the boat.

Double D'oh!
Posted By: merchman Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/09/10 11:17 PM
Is it all wasted fuel or can you pump it out into another container?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/09/10 11:17 PM
Maybe you could just take a match and burn it off.
Posted By: bridgman Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/09/10 11:39 PM
OK, so you need to get the gas out of the bilge to avoid fire risk or worse-than-normal waterway pollution, but you don't want to put the gas into your engine because it probably contains water, dirt, fish poop and a couple of minnows.

Time for some big oily explosions in the closest vacant lot, I think...
Posted By: Glitchy Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/09/10 11:51 PM
Originally Posted By: bridgman
OK, so you need to get the gas out of the bilge to avoid fire risk or worse-than-normal waterway pollution, but you don't want to put the gas into your engine because it probably contains water, dirt, fish poop and a couple of minnows.

Time for some big oily explosions in the closest vacant lot, I think...

I'd take it to the same woods where you take your transmission fluid
Posted By: RickF Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/09/10 11:53 PM
Several gallons of gas was spilled at the gas station because the drain plug was out at the time and I drained the rest of the gas into 6 gallon plastic gas jugs after I got home, the gas isn't any good because of the water in the bilge as John says. I cleaned and rinsed the bilge several times with Dawn dishwashing liquid so I'm not worried about gas in the boat's bilge anymore but there is about about 8-10 gallons of useless gas to dispose of now ... maybe I'll use your suggestion John.
Posted By: mpyw Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/10/10 02:12 AM
My setup suddenly got no sound coming out from front and only surround speakers got some muddle sound....

I thought it's the notorious HDMI handshake issue again, so I switched input, "on" and "off" the AVR, even power off the whole thing and power on again....but, but, but "It's still the same!!!"

Got panic, went into the setup menu of the AVR and check if someone had done anything to it, but no, all the same setting.

Check the BD player setting, everything looks fine.....

How could that be?? I've got a lemon AVR (it's just less than a month!!)...so sad....

After 40 minutes of cursing and tweaking, then I saw one orange light on my XPA-3, I did not switch the power amp on!!!

That's the problem without main zone 12v trigger!!!

Wasted my 40 mins and energy for cursing for the wrong reason! :p
Posted By: fredk Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/10/10 02:19 AM
grin

Always check the gas first. I once spent several hours trouble shooting the electrical circuits in a tractor. My dad came along and pointed out it was out of gas...
Posted By: Scamp Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/13/10 10:29 AM
Got up at 5:45am to wait for a FedEx truck I know won't get here until at least 11:00am

Axiom Track Shipments status: On FedEx vehicle for delivery
Posted By: terzaghi Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/13/10 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk
grin

Always check the gas first. I once spent several hours trouble shooting the electrical circuits in a tractor. My dad came along and pointed out it was out of gas...

grin
Posted By: CV Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/15/10 03:45 AM
I tried the Mount Everest Ice Cream Challenge at Rosy's Ice Cream and Diner. 15 scoops of ice cream and all of the toppings with a 40-minute time limit. It used to be 30, but no one was succeeding. Someone who works there told me they had increased it to 45 minutes, but when we went in, the person who was there said it was actually 40 minutes. Still, if the world champion ice cream eater can do 1.75 gallons in 8 minutes, surely I could do the 60 oz in 40 minutes, right?

Nope. The guy who had committed to trying the challenge alongside me bailed (some BS about pulling a muscle in his back and having to take ibuprofen, which was messing with his stomach, plus an extra unneeded detail about his anal fissures). Thankfully, my coworker's daughter stepped up, even though she'd just had some cake at her baby shower. Being pregnant was cheating a little bit, but I was just glad to not be the only one trying. I started off strong, making a huge dent, trying to get as much down before losing momentum. I'd say the first 5 scoops went down without a hitch. I definitely slowed up as I approached the half-way mark. No brain freeze, and I wasn't cold, but the ice cream was just too much sweetness, and I had run out of stomach capacity.

My competitor had caught up with me, and passed me, but she finally gave up with maybe a third of Mount Everest to go. I wasn't too far behind, and I got a few more bites in, but after there was only 10 minutes left and too much remaining on my plate, I told them to go ahead and write my name on the Wall of Shame.

I didn't puke while I was there, or on the ride home, and I thought I could get by without the exorcism, but my body finally decided to expel a significant amount of it. I feel much better now. Yeah, I'd say I'm now smart enough to never try that again. No more eating challenges for me. Perhaps now I'll turn into Mr. Sensible Portions.
Posted By: fredk Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/15/10 03:51 AM
Sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon. Tell your friend we want to know more about his anal fissures. We need details...

I took the day off from stupid. Just played a round of golf and did some cleaning.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/15/10 04:10 AM
I suspected that was going to be a bad idea...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/15/10 02:06 PM
Someone should have taken a video of this event. Not the part after you got home. smile
Posted By: bridgman Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/15/10 04:09 PM
I signed up with Zip.ca, one of the "rent DVDs by mail" companies up here. First disk was shipped, didn't arrive but a little envelope (obviously junk mail) did show up and got duly tossed in the junk mail pile. After a week I filled out a "disk no show" form and received the obligatory lecture about informing police, Canada Post, CSIS, Interpol etc, then second disk was shipped out. Didn't arrive either, but more junk mail.

By this time I'm getting a bit PO'ed that the junk mail can get here but my DVDs can't. Rather than just tossing the junk mail this time I open to see what's so damn important and find...

... the second DVD. Never occurred to me that they would ship without a protective case, just a DVD in an envelope. For some reason I thought DVDs would be bigger wink

Go home, dig through the junk mail pile, and find the first DVD.

OK, everyone move along, nothing to see here...
Real funny!
Posted By: CV Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/15/10 05:48 PM
OK, everyone move along, nothing to see here...

That was masterful. I really would have liked to witness Interpol's involvement, though.
Posted By: CV Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/15/10 05:49 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Someone should have taken a video of this event. Not the part after you got home. smile

There could potentially be some pictures floating around at some point.
Posted By: jakewash Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/15/10 06:11 PM
Those big eating contests are best left to teens, back when I was one I could eat anything, I ate a 5 lb pizza once and still had room to finish off some steak too, yes I did get it all for free.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/23/10 06:09 PM
Came back to work after 2 weeks off.

Stupid stupid stupid!

I am convinced that - for every hour of vacation - you must spend BOTH one hour in preparation AND one hour recovering, multiplying the negative impact on both zen and productivity.

196 unread email messages. After deleting the drivel.
Delete the rest. It's "freeing".
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/23/10 06:14 PM
My wife used to swear by a work routine in which she monthly swept EVERYTHING off the surface of her desk into a box. If she didn't need to get anything out of the box over the next month, out it all went.

She's "readjusting" to work now that the kids are older. I emotionally connect in a totally non-derogatory way with her co-workers.
Posted By: Murph Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/23/10 07:29 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Came back to work after 2 weeks off.

Stupid stupid stupid!

I am convinced that - for every hour of vacation - you must spend BOTH one hour in preparation AND one hour recovering, multiplying the negative impact on both zen and productivity.

196 unread email messages. After deleting the drivel.

If it makes you feel any better. I also just got back from 2 weeks vacation and I had over 2k emails, reduced to 683 after deleting junk and any drivel I dared.
Posted By: cb919 Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/23/10 09:57 PM
Working on finishing my deck this weekend, I used a skilsaw on it's side while standing on a ladder cutting the tops off of 6x6 posts all at awkward angles. The skilsaw was a hand me down from my dad so I think it was made in the 50's out of cast iron! (i.e. it is not a modern lightweight version). Multiple cuts were required on each post as the blade could not be dropped enough to get through the full width of the 6x6's.

That may not be a big deal for some of you, but for me this was a death defying feat. The task had to be done but was still not one of the smarter things I've done. I had a well deserved beer when the task was done.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/23/10 10:15 PM
Man, I'm glad there was no punch line in that story.
Posted By: cb919 Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/23/10 10:58 PM
Me too - only 1 slight wobbly moment which got my adrenaline going - the nearby eaves trough smoothed it out thankfully.

I also just realized I used the word 'done' 3 times in 2 sentences in my previous post. blush
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/23/10 11:51 PM
You done good, Dan!
Posted By: CV Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/24/10 04:16 AM
Whoa, Sean's still alive.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/24/10 04:52 AM
You're in the right thread, because it's stupid of you to assume otherwise. smile
Posted By: CV Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/24/10 05:08 AM
Is he an immortal?
Posted By: Murph Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/24/10 10:33 AM
There can be only one.
Posted By: medic8r Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/24/10 02:54 PM
Who wants to live forever? - Queen
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/24/10 03:20 PM
"May you live forever." Ancient Sumerian curse
Posted By: Murph Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/24/10 03:22 PM
Yes. Both the quote and the song are from the movie Highlander.
Yet another example of a great movie where the sequels just kept getting laughably worse.
Posted By: cb919 Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/24/10 03:26 PM
And wasn't there a TV series spin off as well? Never watched it, but after the movies got worse I lost interest.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 08/24/10 03:54 PM
Highlander: The Series wasn't too bad. But Highlander: The Raven...couldn't watch that at all.
Posted By: Scamp Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/01/10 06:45 PM
Someday I will learn to eat lunch without leaving a big stain on my shirt. Alas today is not that day. frown
Posted By: medic8r Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/01/10 06:57 PM
Grey Poupon?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/01/10 06:57 PM
Mmmmm. Hotdogs!
Posted By: medic8r Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/01/10 07:03 PM
More hotdogs, please!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/01/10 07:07 PM
There has to be balance somewhere.

But I think I saw Ying coming out of my Yang.
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
There has to be balance somewhere.

But I think I saw Ying coming out of my Yang.
... covered in grey poupon.
Posted By: Scamp Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/01/10 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Grey Poupon?

Curry.
Posted By: Adrian Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/01/10 09:19 PM
When using a Weed Wacker, be cautious around doggy poo.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/01/10 10:04 PM
That's solid advice, raht thar.
Posted By: Adrian Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/01/10 10:16 PM
I speaketh, from experienth-eth.
Posted By: bridgman Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/01/10 10:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
When using a Weed Wacker, be cautious around doggy poo.

Also when attempting to weed a crushed stone driveway (yeah, with a weed-whacker) near your new pickup truck...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/01/10 11:34 PM
I'm always getting the little pieces of string ends thrown into my face when I'm trimming around the fence.
Posted By: RickF Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/02/10 12:18 AM
Those flying stray strings sting like a beotch too. eek
Posted By: RickF Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/02/10 12:29 AM
Also ... while doing a makeover on your irrigation system's PVC lines make sure to not cut the 3/4" PVC line that is unaccounted for with the system, it just might be the main water supply line going into the house. wink

On the plus side, whenever you shut off the meter valve to the house so that you may fix the line you may very well find that the valve wasn't turned completely on and thus restricting the flow (and pressure) to the house ... for who knows how many years. smile
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/02/10 04:16 AM
A half-closed valve will still provide the same pressure (voltage), but will reduce flow (current). laugh
Posted By: bridgman Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/05/10 05:44 AM
With the caveat that if water is flowing (current) then the pressure drop (voltage drop) from the pipes (resistance) is likely to be higher and the perceived pressure (voltage) at the tap (load) will probably be lower (lower) wink

So it finally got sufficiently chilly today that I decided to fire up the masonry heater for the first time, allowing me the opportunity to savour a number of stupid things :

1. Apparently cheap tarps left outside long enough become porous, and if used to cover firewood actually end up conducting rain into the wood *more* efficiently than just leaving the wood uncovered. The top foot or so of wood in each stack seemed wetter and heavier than when I stacked it for drying a year ago.

2. Disappointed with the wet wood, I split a few pieces a couple of times and mixed in some very dry wood from under the carport. Loaded up the fireplace, seemed to light OK and burn well with the door open. Closed the door, came back a bit later and the fire was out. &^%$&*$%!!, didn't think the wood was *that* wet. Added some more tinder & kindling, relighted, kept the door open for a while then closed it. Came back, fire was out again. Got the fire going for a third time, worried about creosote buildup in the chimney (masonry heaters normally burn *very* clean), closed the door and watched what happened.

Fire went out almost immediately. Much cursing. Checked rainfall numbers, worked out potential impact on wood moisture content, something still didn't make sense.

Finally remembered to flip the switch and open the outside air feed. Lit fire, closed door, burns fine now.
Posted By: Murph Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/07/10 05:41 PM

1. Apparently cheap tarps left outside long enough become porous, and if used to cover firewood actually end up conducting rain into the wood *more* efficiently than just leaving the wood uncovered. The top foot or so of wood in each stack seemed wetter and heavier than when I stacked it for drying a year ago.

What I've always heard is that it traps the humidity trying to exit out of the wood. Although both items may be equally true.

This also brings back another memory. During a summer job cleaning up old lots around the town, I found painted, ceramic logs that must have been part of an old fake fireplace. They looked horribly fake, especially as they were very weathered, but when I also hid my Dad's glasses, they were real enough in the wood stove to frustrate my father when they didn't light. The paper and kindling I preloaded with them lit nicely but the logs kind of cracked into pieces with some very nasty crackling noises that had me worried for a second.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/07/10 07:49 PM
...and he let you live. Nice.

I didn't check my calendar and discovered a big, nasty meeting this afternoon for which I am unprepared and underdressed.
Posted By: richeydog Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/07/10 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I didn't check my calendar and discovered a big, nasty meeting this afternoon for which I am unprepared and underdressed.

Hey Tom you'll be fine.

Posted By: CatBrat Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/07/10 08:04 PM
Hmmm. He looks better dressed at work than I usually am.
Posted By: mpyw Re: What stupid thing have you done today? - 09/08/10 12:58 AM
I bang into a motorcycle rider last night when turning into parking lot....and have to pay for his medical and some minor repair of his bike....small amount to settle the matter but my front bumper got a big dent and need repair frown
© Axiom Message Boards