Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Glitchy Need help choosing a printer for renderings - 08/24/10 06:31 PM
I usually know what I need to about hardware, but I've been asked to research a suitable color printer for our engineering department to print out photo quality renderings of the product we design for our clients, and I know squat about printers........ any thoughts, any help?

Thanks
Question 1: How big do you need to print?
Ugh. I hate those questions. But, like Mark said, question 1 is how big the printout needs to be.

I know a few years ago, I would have recommended the Epson Stylus Pros, but...
Most of the time just 8 1/2 x 11. I looked at large format 18 to 24" wide. It wouldn't hurt to have that capability, but not a requirement.

Our marketing department has a 4yr + old Epson 3800 Pro 18" WF. But I thought with technology progress might not really need to go there.

I don't need specific model numbers more of a price/specification range (but a specific model wouldn't hurt either smile )

Thanks
Do you need full color, photo-quality prints? What do you mean by rendering?
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Do you need full color, photo-quality prints? What do you mean by rendering?

Yes full color photo realistic.

We take 3d engineering CAD models of our casegoods setups and "lay-on" the veneer grain/direction, custom finish color, hardware finishes, etc. Then as needed; add a high-rise city scapes in the window if there is a window in the simulated space, plants, knic-knacs, etc.

So our client get the real look of what they might purchase without actualy building them a physical mockup.

They might be ordering hundreds of this one setup or hundreds with slight variations.
Canon inket printers are pretty good and can output full color prints relatively quickly. This one is not the latest-greatest, but will certainly fit the bill. ($400)
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Pro9000-Inkjet-Printer-3295B002/dp/B001R4BTIA/
Thanks!

That looks like it will fit our needs. And the reviews are promising.
© Axiom Message Boards