Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad Wheel help. - 08/26/10 05:22 AM
I didn't want to have to hijack Tom's thread any more than we already have. So I'll ask for some help and opinions here.
I've finally finished modifying my car after a year of work and the last thing I'm doing is changing out the wheels.
This is what I have on the car now in a real shiny chrome.
http://momo.tiremedia.com/model/arrow.html
I want to get away from the all chrome look and was originally thinking of something like this. http://scienceofspeed.com/products/exter...HyperSilver.jpg These run about $2300 and if I order them it will take about 16 weeks to get them from Japan.
I also like these wheels that are now being offered on ebay for $900, the car they were on is almost identical to mine. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138875
So I guess it's do I go to a Japanese racing type wheel or go back to another Italian made wheel.
I would love to have your guys opinions or even some other suggestions.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 05:32 AM
Me, I prefer the last ones. The blacked out look is distinctive, and OZ makes a good wheel, from what I know. Which is little, I'll admit!
Posted By: RickF Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 08:43 AM
I also like the blacked out wheels Michael, that's definitely the style that seems to be in right now and it looks like it may be for quite some time.
Posted By: Murph Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 11:14 AM
I'm drawn to number two as well but I think it's only because I'm an ex-Jeeper and so the first thing I noticed were the fake bead locks.

I can't recall if you posted a pic of your car in Tom's thread but it's soo long now I'm lazy to go look. Lets have a look at your car so we can picture them on the vehicle.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 12:21 PM
Sorry, I don't like the black wheels, the colour doesn't allow you to see the shape of the wheel, also don't think the black wheel on red car works too well. Of the two the Japanese ones(first) look nicer although the second ones are a much better deal.

I'm rather partial to the look of some of the HRE Wheels as they look similar to what many of the Prototype and GT racers use.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 01:51 PM
I should add...I do like black wheels on some vehicles, it depends on the style of rim, the type of vehicle and the colour of the car/truck. It's all about how the vehicle and rim/wheel go together and there are so many custom rims to choose from these days.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 02:44 PM
I feel similarly as Adrian about black wheels. They look good on some rigs, down right stupid on others. Agree with Murph on the bead locks too. Fake anything like that to me, is just plain stupid and tacky.

I also do not like busy wheels and prefer them simple and purposeful. I tend to be drawn more towards the open, spoke type wheels, as I keep buying them. The Advanced Racing wheels you posted look the best to me, but I'd prefer them in chrome over the powder coated look. I ended up buying a set of Boss wheels for my Denali. They have a good warranty adn don't look half bad on the truck. They are the only brand that doesn't have small print regarding Alaska so I figure they must be pretty tough (many wheels have specific "Alaska" clauses). I went with the 330's in chrome. http://www.bossmotorsports.com/custom_chrome_wheels.cfm?id=355

You need to post a side shot of the car Michael. It's hard to visualize wheels on it without a pic. What's your calipers look like, do you want them to be seen?
Posted By: Scamp Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 02:52 PM
To me the real question would be, what's better the $2,300 rims or the $900 rims + whatever you would use the extra $1,400 on.

Better sound? GPS? Gold leaf cup holders?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 03:12 PM
I just got my van's body work totally overhauled, painted and new rims. I went with these American Racing Estrella rims. I didn't want the "bling" look. These have three coats of clearcoat but they still have a nice shine to them. I've received many compliments/inquiries as well as looks. I really like them, they look pretty darn sweet. I'm also not a big fan of black rims.

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 03:21 PM
Don't like blacked out wheels. I like the NSX style wheels and the beautiful forged wheel pictured. (Science of Speed?)

NSX is a great car.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 03:35 PM
If I ever finish up my car project (1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible, with a 3-rotor transplanted from an 1990 Eunos Cosmo), it's going to be running these wheels: http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/emenu/datas2/VOLK/010_TE37/big.jpg

17x9.0 inch +15 mm offset, up front
17x9.5 inch +28 mm offset, in back

EDIT: This's them on a car like mine: http://www.rmagic.net/parts/aero/img/fc_aero_02.jpg
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 03:47 PM
Those a very pretty, Chris!
Posted By: Scamp Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 04:11 PM
I drive a minivan. I'm sure it has wheels but I don't think I could pick them out of a lineup.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 05:04 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, here is a fairly recent shot of the car. Although I like the contrast of the Black and Red, as Michael pointed out the OZ's may be a bit busy. Here is another wheel I was thinking about,top picture, and correct about Science of Speed RZ but with these I would have to go with wider tires front and rear 18" 19" vs 17" 18" which is normally regarded as the best overall setup for an NSX.

The HRE's (start at 18") are really nice and popular with the NSX crowd, several of the Volks wheels like the TE37 are some of my favorites along with the Advans.

Nice wheels Cam they actually look similar to some HRE wheels.

The hardest part for me is finding some wheels without having to wait 4 months to get them.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 05:18 PM
I had very limited choices, but Tirerack.com was a big help and has a huge selection overall.

Edit- Sweeeeeeeeeeet ride!
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 05:52 PM
I've heard that NSXes are a real handful when driven at the limit.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 05:54 PM
They are supposed to be tough on rear tires from a few articles I recall years ago, but nice car.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 06:05 PM
They are pretty easy to drive and probably the best handling car I've owned, and Adrian you are correct on the rear tires, I get maybe 4,000 to 5,000 miles on the rears, the fronts last around 10,000, fortunately I only put a couple thousand miles a year on the car.
The car used to get around 26 mpg, with the supercharger I can almost watch the gas gauge go down if I jump on it.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Wheel help. - 08/26/10 11:23 PM
I like the Advan Racing wheels the best, but nobody ever accused me of being hip, tragically or otherwise.

Of course, I'd just keep the wheels you have and buy an amp or a new TV or something for my wife smile
Posted By: Pitbull24 Re: Wheel help. - 08/27/10 02:28 AM
Michael,

I put Black Chrome wheels on my Mustang. Not as "blingy" as chrome, but not as dark as black. They receive nothing but compliments.http://godspeedwheels.com/
Posted By: Murph Re: Wheel help. - 08/27/10 01:14 PM
Very nice Wheels Wheelz!
Too bad they don't make custom wheels for you chair to match. That would make for a cool picture.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Wheel help. - 08/27/10 10:56 PM
Thanks, Murph. I'm sure Xzibit could figure something out for my chair smile .
Posted By: michael_d Re: Wheel help. - 08/28/10 04:33 PM
Hey Michael, you might find this thread at the Z06 forum interesting. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion/2658965-06-z06-and-91-nsx-pics.html
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Wheel help. - 08/28/10 04:49 PM
Thanks Michael, I got a kick out of that, does it sound familiar or what, just change the names of the cars to two rival speakers and you have an audio forum.
© Axiom Message Boards