Axiom Home Page
Posted By: grunt Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 12:12 AM
Ok this may not be a normal spec upon which speakers are judged, however I have become increasingly impressed on Axiom’s performance in this area.

Today I knocked over one of my QS8s for the 4th time from about 3 feet high (twice from over 5 feet high) and still no sonic problems. The only issue I’ve had is a broken grill (V2 speaker) which Axiom replaced during my last order.

So far I have knocked over 4 M80s and about 7 QS8s and it’s caused no sonic problems with any of my speakers.

I know that Axiom makes it’s speakers to be shipped, however my personal experience with their ability to take abuse once installed is nothing short of amazing, especially for the QS8s.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 12:46 AM
Dude, you have to drink less around them.
Posted By: fredk Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 01:40 AM
Or more.
Posted By: grunt Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 03:03 AM
I like Fred’s idea better. wink
Posted By: RickF Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 10:10 AM
Originally Posted By: grunt
So far I have knocked over 4 M80s and about 7 QS8s and it’s caused no sonic problems with any of my speakers.

Weren't you a crew member on a KC-135 or something Dean? I bet the rest of the crew shook in their boots whenever they saw you step aboard! laugh
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 11:31 AM
grin
Posted By: a401classic Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 12:26 PM
I'd love to see a pair of speakers made out of this this material... looks like Dean could use it.

This is the plastic that we make at our plant. It has a higher strength to weight ratio than titanium!

Actually, I'm thinking more of the cone material than the housing, but that's a different story.

Scott
Posted By: BobKay Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 03:59 PM
Ya know, for $65k and up, you can get speakers made out of stuff NASA can't afford! They can even align carbon nano tubes in the shape of the mfgr's. logo, but I think those start at a buck and a quarter.
Posted By: fredk Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 04:30 PM
Scott. There are a lot of interesting materials you could use effectively in speaker construction. Unfortunately they seem to cost an arm & a leg.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 04:59 PM
Our stuff is an arm & a leg and a half.

Scott
Posted By: Adrian Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 07:47 PM
Im not an authority on crash testing speakers like Dean is, but I dropped my VP150 on one of it's corners from the stand it sat on(2ft high approx)....the corner got smushed a bit, but there was no sonic change in the speaker....the 3/4 African Walnut flooring suffered a small dinger as a result, too.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 11:07 PM
Really, I'm wondering how well Bose speakers hold up.

Like, when hit with sledgehammers.

Like, while people have imbibed.

Like, during a get-together.

Like, with the sledgehammers swung by two women in bikinis in a pool of chocolate mousse.

Crap.

I went too far again, didn't I?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 11:39 PM
Yes. The chocolate mousse was over the top. You should have gone with Jello.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/05/10 11:53 PM
I really wondered about Jello. I really did.

But then I thought "Diet be damned!"
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/06/10 01:51 AM
I was thinking jello too. Chocolate mousse is seriously and dementedly wrong. Freaky even ... in my opinion. But the bikini thing is good ... very good. Keep up the good work but watch out for the chocolate mousse thing.
Posted By: fredk Re: Speaker Crash Test Ratings - 09/06/10 02:29 AM
Quote:
Crap.

I went too far again, didn't I?

You didn't post pics. C'mon, only one more step to far. grin
© Axiom Message Boards