Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ClubNeon Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 03:47 AM

View from the apartment I rented at night.

A few hours later after the sun rose.

The last of Ceausescu's legacy. The building is being completed to become a national library.

A very long foot/bike path. I wanted to shoot the one on the other side of the road as it looked nicer, but didn't get a chance.

Typical Stalin inspired apartments.

My apartment was on the back side of the building on the left, but it was the typical concrete instead of the modern glass and steel.

Another view of the library construction.

Romania has discovered capitalism, and advertising.

There are also too many people, and too many cars to fit on the streets of Bucharest.

Ads on every surface, they are even building surfaces just to fit more ads.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 03:50 AM

Lots of concrete buildings, all huge in scale.

Modern buildings with electronic ads, old building with fixed ads.

The taxi cabs have ads on them.

You can probably guess what I'd have to say about this photo...
Posted By: grunt Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 04:02 AM
Thanks for the photo tour. I’ve traveled a lot but never to any Eastern European countries.
Posted By: CV Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 04:41 AM
Nice shots, Chris. I know nothing about Romania.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 11:54 AM
Thanks for sharing. I hope that you are having a good time.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
I know nothing about Romania.

Evidently, they're all about the ads!

Nice shots, Chris! Looks like an interesting place to visit!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 01:18 PM
Nice shots contrasting the "old" and "new" Romania. I worked with a Romanian fellow for over 10 yrs, he brought his family to Ontario in around 1990 and this is much different than the country he described to me....
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 01:34 PM
I think the reason I'm so taken with the ads, is it is a different country than I saw five years ago. Thought I mentioned it to the people living there, and it must have sneaked up on them slowly because they didn't even notice. Of course I'm more sensitive to advertisements too.

On the other hand, the residents do notice the increased traffic.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 01:49 PM
Centered at this location was my apartment.

Also, here's the intersection around were I took most of the photos. You can see the bike trail, and water in the bottom right.
Posted By: RickF Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 05:18 PM
Cool pictures Chris, the air conditioning units on the 'Stalin inspired apartments' picture (5th from top) is interesting. My neighbor just got back from a couple of weeks stay in Albania.

I'm sorry if I missed it mentioned elsewhere but are these pictures of Bucharest?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 05:58 PM
Just about every apartment has those through-the-wall type air conditioning units. The company I work for used one in our first server room. Before and after that I never saw anything similar, but with my first trip to Romania the apartment I rented then had an almost identical unit. They still don't seem to be popular in the US, but I tell you they work well.

Yes, Bucharest.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 06:38 PM
I really appreciate you taking the time to share the pictures and stories with us, Chris.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 07:07 PM
You're welcome.

Though, I would rather be shooting portraits. That's part of the reason there's so few photos. The other is that while I could easily blend into the crowd, that no one bothered me except people handing out fliers who were bugging every Romanian who passed, and one guy who needed a light. As soon as I strapped the SLR around my neck everyone in the city figured I'd have something to give them. Rather annoying, so I quickly went back to being anonymous.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 07:17 PM
Totally unrelated to Romania, but follow from my last post. Here's an image from a shoot I did this past weekend. I definitely prefer this to buildings:

Posted By: jakewash Re: Romania 2010 - 10/05/10 07:29 PM
So do I smile
Posted By: JohnK Re: Romania 2010 - 10/06/10 01:14 AM
Nice scenery there on the last shot Chris. I've traveled a fair amount in eastern Europe, but haven't made it to Romania yet.
Posted By: PTPlayers Re: Romania 2010 - 10/06/10 01:30 AM
Nice Pics , my wife is from Romania and she was back home about a month ago .

Even though i have never been , i hope to go at some point .

What i do know is that there are lots of crazy drivers there .:-)
© Axiom Message Boards