Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson I wonder who will be the first.... - 10/06/10 12:01 PM
..."pro" amp company (Crown, QSC, Mackie, Behringer, etc.) to finally figure out that they could offer an "HT friendly" version of an amp with "friendly" connections, a quiet fan and a simple, non-garish fascia and sell a ton of them? Vent the sides and top so a quieter fan could be used, lose the rack-mounting capability and the rack ears and have a simple front plate in black or silver with power and clipping lights only, and instead of XLR and 1/4" inputs, offer XLR and RCA inputs. Outputs? Banana-friendly posts instead of Speakon.

When you look at the specs for these amps (475/WPC at 8 Ohms for $700), it's really not that hard to see them making a powerful, simple looking, connection-friendly amp for $600. These would be simple mods to a product already in their line.

I know I'd buy one pretty quickly!

(another one of my ideas whereby if I had the $$ to start a company, I'd mod existing ones and STILL make a profit!)

It's not that hard, folks! Get with it!

[/rant] [coffee]

Posted By: Adrian Re: I wonder who will be the first.... - 10/06/10 03:29 PM
This is a market just waiting to be exploited by these companies. I think the Behringer A500(fanless) has gained some popularity amongst the HT crowd....the issue about noisy fans is true on the one hand, but if you're adding this kind of power to your system(and use it), you'll easily drown out the sound except on the quietest passages in your movies/music, I would expect.

There's some other, "inexpensive", amps out there like Audiosource and American Audio you might check out as well...seems to be a lot of similar pro amps on the market these days.
Posted By: jakewash Re: I wonder who will be the first.... - 10/06/10 04:54 PM
I have found a couple of companies so far that offer fanless operation, Behringer is one, Extron, Alesis(rebadged Behringer IIRC). I know there a few others with similar offerings, it just takes some time to find them. Not to mention our favorite curiosity the Outlaw M2200.
Posted By: Adrian Re: I wonder who will be the first.... - 10/06/10 06:21 PM
Are there any prices for those Extron amps, they look fairly new on the market....I can't seem to find any $$.
Posted By: jakewash Re: I wonder who will be the first.... - 10/06/10 09:07 PM
According to here they are about $1200 and up
Posted By: Adrian Re: I wonder who will be the first.... - 10/06/10 09:09 PM
Gad-zooks!! they're far more expensive than I was expecting.
Posted By: jakewash Re: I wonder who will be the first.... - 10/06/10 09:25 PM
Still cheaper than Axiom's 2 channel.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: I wonder who will be the first.... - 10/07/10 11:18 AM
http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/advanced_amp_selector.htm
© Axiom Message Boards