Axiom Home Page
For quite a while, and it was only audible on certain recordings, there was a light buzzing sound coming one side. I blamed almost everything and tighted loosened stuff all over the place. Then I thought it might be the QS-8... so I flipped side and then problem went away! Therefore, I thought it was the bracket that somehow was in a bad position and caused light vibration.

Until two weeks ago where it started to do it again... from the other side! Now the problem is that, at the time, I was not certain at all I had swapped the QS-8 (i was actually under the impression that I had just "re-set" the bracket). Well... after quite a few more tests, which included bringing the QS-8 in front of me... I am very sad to announced I have a bad driver... (the top one!).

I guess I'll soon renew with Axiom's customer service!
I have 2 VP-150s and 1 M2ss from the same era. I think the drivers are interchangeable between those models and the QS-8 so I can have my system back before long?
Yup. and then you can buy new drivers and crossovers for the M22's and have v3's
After a few days with the M22 driver, everything sounds good! But I have to admit i'm getting impatient to stop listening for the buzzing. Anything there is a strange "human moving" sound in a recording, my head lifts up and I try to locate the "problem"... Sound I'll to go back to just enjoying music!

The replacement driver is "on vehicule for delivery"... but i'm not home. I guess tomorrow AM I'll have to pass by Purolator depot to pick it up!
Actually was here when Purolator passed. All done and all sounding great!
Great news! smile
jakewash, your tied with JohnK at 8196.
Guess what? The matching QS-8 has developped the same issue (hyper vibrating top driver).

I swapped with the drvier from my spare M22 and it stopped.
BUT, I could feel the whole speaker was strained (whole QS-8 cabinet shaking too much for a speaker).

I was using a xover of 80z. I uploaded a new one at 115hz (the recommended xover by Anthem's ARC measurements) and the speaker is no longer strained.

Should receive an answer from Axiom soon. In the meantime I'll if I can notice the xover shift. Maybe I'll it better!
Just tapped into my denon through the web interface to check my surround crossover setting....

My Q's are crossed over at 90hz and I haven't had any problems in 3 years.
Sounds like there is an issue other than the woofer. Could be a defective crossover. You should send the whole QS8 back to Axiom for diagnostics and replacement. There is no way in hell a surround speaker should be shaking like that especially with a crossover point of 80hz. What kind of source material is going through the surrounds?
Yeah, I suspect something else is going on.

You should contact axiom before you damage a good m22 driver!
Sending all 4 QS-8s back?
Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Sending all 4 QS-8s back?

No, just the QS8 that is having issues.
1+1 = 2... at least last time checked...
You're having problems with 2 QS8's?
"The matching QS-8"
If it something like a defective crossover, I can't see why they couldn't fix the problem and send that single speaker back to you.
Why would a crossover affect two speakers?
Ah, I just re-read the thread, so you are indeed having problems with both speakers. That makes things much trickier. I'm not sure what could cause this problem on the receiver end. Talk to Axiom for sure and see if they can do some troubleshooting for you. If it is not successful then you would have no other choice to send both of the QS8's back to Axiom for replacements. How old are these speakers?
I can't remember, have you tried running them as mains to see of there is something wrong with the surround amp section of the receiver?
They went everywhere. And I don't have a receiver (d2v+A1400). If the noise was coming from source, replacing drivers would not solve the problem.
OK, I too vote for a bad set of crossovers.
As I mentioned in another thread, perhaps related to this don’t remember, I had a bad crossover (figured out by process of elimination) in a new M2v3 which caused the midrange driver to vibrated like it was distorting which showed up after a couple weeks but only when I played a certain scene in ME2.

Axiom shipped me a new crossover and the problem went away and has not returned. I shipped the old crossover back to Axiom.
I'll mention that to Axiom. Altough, do xovers break down after three years... in two separate speakers? Drivers is easy to believe, xover I have more trouble.
Not in my experience. But if they were both from the same lot, maybe there was a lot of bad capacitors or something that went into them... I dunno, doesn't make sense to me, either.
Its unlikely but nothing is impossible. I would still look into troubleshooting the possibility of any crossover issues.

Look at it this way . The crossover components that are used in the matching pair are likely manufactured within the same batch/shipment and maybe even the crossover itself assembled by the same worker. If there is an issue with a certain part or assembly issue I guess it is possible for them to fail relatively close to one another. However, to have it happen after 3 years with the pair would be something akin to winning the lottery. This is a tough one, and nothing should be left out as the cause.

Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Just tapped into my denon through the web interface...

Man. I really need to upgrade my ancient receiver.
© Axiom Message Boards