Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Worfzara MediaMonkey Playlist Question - 11/15/10 07:06 PM
Good day

I have multiple computers all networked in my home. I store all of my music on one 2 TB external hard drive.

Is there a way in MediaMonkey to creat play lists and store them in a location so that any and all of my computers can reference it?

Thanks

pn
Posted By: grunt Re: MediaMonkey Playlist Question - 11/15/10 07:47 PM
Not sure exactly what you are trying to do here. How exactly do you have your computers networked. Is the 2TB HD visible to all computers on the network or hooked up to just one computer that is networked with the others? Do you have MediaMonkey installed on only the one computer or all of them?

Assuming you have MM on only one computer and the HD is hooked up directly to that one and not set up as a NAS then your best bet IMO might be to just use a program that allows you to log in to that computer from the others and run MM remotely.

Other ways to do it but it all depends on how your network is set up.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: MediaMonkey Playlist Question - 11/16/10 02:47 AM
I have MM on all computers, and have all the computers pointed to the 2 TB HD drive using a share and map network drive.

When I create a play list on one computer, I want to be able to use that same playlist on the other computers.

Is there a way I can store the playlist in a shared folder on the 2TB HD so that the other computers can use it.

Thanks

pn
Posted By: Henry66 Re: MediaMonkey Playlist Question - 11/16/10 03:35 AM
I use MediaMonkey a lot, but unfortunately (for you) only on one computer. I believe MM stores its playlists in its custom database, which is local to each computer.

However, you should be able to do the following:
  • Make sure (in the View menu) that you can see the Tree pane.
  • Make sure (in Options -> Library -> Filters & Views ==> Configure) that Playlists are shown in the Tree nodes.
    (The above two steps only need to be done once, if MM is not already set up this way.)
  • On one computer, create a playlist.
  • In the tree, right-click on the playlist you created and select "Send To -> Export as .m3u playlist"
  • Save the .m3u playlist on the shared network drive somewhere.
  • From MM on another computer, do "File -> Open" and select the saved .m3u file. The playlist should start playing.
Yikes. I hope that was of use.
Posted By: grunt Re: MediaMonkey Playlist Question - 11/16/10 04:13 AM
What Henry66 posted does work but when I tired it the playlist only shows up in the right “Now Playing” pane and not the left side though everything else seemed to work.

If you have a lot of playlists it would be quicker to Tools > Scripts > Export all Playlists to m3u. This would also make syncing several playlists easier since you can just overwrite the old ones each time.

One thing. I only tried this on the computer MM is installed on. To work on other computers I’m sure the external hard drive must be mapped to the same drive letter on all the computers or the path to the music files will not be correct.

I would post your question on the MediaMonkey forums. There must be a more elegant way of doing this.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: MediaMonkey Playlist Question - 11/16/10 02:34 PM
Thanks, I'll try that later today.
Posted By: BobKay Re: MediaMonkey Playlist Question - 11/16/10 04:53 PM
Around here, I think that only Club Neon should be allowed to use the term "Media Monkey." Or maybe "Mondo Multi Media Monkey" (Eminemineminem).
Posted By: CV Re: MediaMonkey Playlist Question - 11/16/11 09:24 AM
In case some of you don't keep up on it, MediaMonkey 4 was released today (11/16).

Download

Version 4 information
Posted By: Murph Re: MediaMonkey Playlist Question - 11/16/11 12:42 PM
Cool Thanks!
Posted By: grunt Re: MediaMonkey Playlist Question - 11/16/11 06:44 PM
Thanks for the info Charles!
© Axiom Message Boards