Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/17/10 02:21 AM
I'm going up to Chicago to celebrate Thanksgiving with my brother and his fiancee. He put me in charge of the turkey and I'm going to be making this beer-brined birdie with my homebrew wheaty pale ale:

http://www.homebrewchef.com/BeerBrinedTurkey.html

There are a lot more beer-themed Thanksgiving dishes here, for anyone interested:

http://www.homebrewchef.com/ThanksgivingBeerMenu.html
Posted By: michael_d Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/17/10 03:11 PM
Interesting. I've cooked red meat with beer before, but not a bird. We usually soak it in apple juice. Might just have to try beer.

I had planned to buy a turduchen, but by the time I pay for over night air, the damn thing will run me about 250 bucks.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/17/10 03:17 PM
Thank you for those links, peter.

Looks like the family is having a beer-brined turkey smile

Where in Chicago are you going to be?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/17/10 03:44 PM
My brother lives in the neighborhood east of Humboldt Park. I'll be there for a week starting this Sunday, with time to spare for meetups. smile
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/17/10 04:12 PM
There's a friend I'm having a beer with soon that's going to show me a couple good beer places around Humboldt Park...I'll keep you posted. Do we have any other axiomites in the chicago area?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/17/10 06:04 PM
I realize you are in charge of the Turkey, but this recipe we did a couple years ago for a colonial day at the kids school, it has now become a family tradition for us and is absolutely delicious.

http://www.forkandbottle.com/cooking/recipes/pumpkin_pie_in_a_pumpkin.htm
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/24/10 06:37 AM
Started beer brining the turkey in Hefeweizen tonight. 36 hours of brining goodness. I'm excited.

Also going to take a stab at making the gravy and the mashed potatoes.

Thanks for the links!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/24/10 05:44 PM
Anybody got a recipe for a pitcher full of cosmopolitans?
Posted By: BobKay Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/24/10 05:51 PM
Seen Yesterday.
Billboard sign on Gigantic Alcohol Mart:

Thanksgiving is for Families
We Have Liquor

Amen.
Posted By: BobKay Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/24/10 05:53 PM
Oh, and Tom. If no one here can provide what you need (I'd be truly sp, sp, speechless), I can make one phone call. Lemme know.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/24/10 05:59 PM
Thanks, Bob. I had "my" recipe, but not sure how it will scale. I RTFM, er, used the search feature, and found The Cocktail Thread which sent me in the right direction.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/26/10 02:32 AM
Wow. The beer brine recipe was spectacular. It was probably the best turkey my relatives, family and I had ever tasted. I used a Trader Joe's Hefeweizen. Nice, bright, wheat flavor to the turkey.

For Christmas I'm thinking of doing a darker, malty brine based off of the "Tipsy Turkey" recipe there.

For the Gravy, I used Sam Adams Boston Lager, and various mushrooms. Added some cream to round out the saltiness of the broth. Also excellent. I had never made gravy "from scratch" before, so that was exciting.

For the mashed potatoes, went with a Goose Island IPA. If I did this again, I'd tone down the garlic and butter, and do more IPA. It was a wonderful flavor that went well with the gravy.

Thanks again for the links! I hope everyone's thanksgiving was flavorful and full of good family time.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/26/10 03:20 AM
By the way, peter, how did your turkey turn out?
Posted By: CV Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/26/10 03:22 AM
I'm going to guess it got gobble gobbled.

Yeesh, don't give thanks for bad jokes.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/27/10 05:10 AM
Our turkey was amazing, too. I brined a 12lb turkey for 24 hours. I used a half gallon of my wheaty pale ale home brew and a half gallon of Sam Adams Oktoberfest in the brine. I asked the chef what to do with the brine after the turkey was done and he said to dump it as it had already done its job. I did make a stock out of the turkey carcass and drippings, so at least the briney goodness lives on there.

I also made the mushroom gravy, using Goose Island Mild Winter ale. Everyone loved it.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting my Great Uncle (mom's dad's brother) and his family for the first time. I never got to meet my mom's dad, so I'm looking forward to this get-together. His wife said they'll have some strong Polish beer for me. This is why I substituted half the beer in the turkey brine with Sam Adams. I intended to do it entirely with my homebrew, but the opportunity to share my homebrew with new-to-me family was too important to pass up.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: American Thanksgiving recipe ideas - 11/27/10 05:21 AM
Sounds delicious!
© Axiom Message Boards