Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Worfzara AGP Graphics Card Recommendation - 01/26/11 11:20 PM
Good day

I have an older (2001/2002) Dell Precision 620 work station. I want upgrade the graphics card from a 3d Labs WildCat 4110 to something that will run 1080p in wide screen.

It will need to be an AGP card. Does this animal exist? If so, do you recommend? What are the specs?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: AGP Graphics Card Recommendation - 01/26/11 11:25 PM
This is the only one that comes up on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125281. Reviews are middling, and I'm not even sure you could get to the HDMI port in your case.

Probably just more worth it to toss the machine and get something else. AGP is the deadest of the dead standards. You can probably get more ISA cards than AGP cards these days...
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: AGP Graphics Card Recommendation - 01/26/11 11:32 PM
If sound isn't a requirement there's no need for an actual HDMI port, just DVI (with HDCP). Still, AGP cards are rare beasts.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: AGP Graphics Card Recommendation - 01/26/11 11:34 PM
That's true. Let me remove HDMI from the search.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: AGP Graphics Card Recommendation - 01/26/11 11:35 PM
3:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...ue=3200%3A22195
Posted By: bridgman Re: AGP Graphics Card Recommendation - 01/27/11 05:50 AM
I usually recommend picking up a new mobo with integrated graphics for now and PCIE bus for the future, otherwise you'll never get away from AGP. A cheap dual-core CPU from today will usually outrun a Big Honkin CPU from back then, and will frequently outrun a pair of Big Honkin CPUs.

Somewhere around that time PCs went from needing lots of +5V power to needing lots of +12 power so be careful with per-rail power supply capacity, but even the oldest power supplies seem to be able to power a CPU+IGP setup.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: AGP Graphics Card Recommendation - 01/27/11 07:32 PM
Thanks for you help everyone.

For under $500 you can get a pretty decent computer from HP with the ability to upgrade down the road.

I think this is probably what I am going to do instead of keeping this dinosaur alive.

pn
Posted By: Ken.C Re: AGP Graphics Card Recommendation - 01/27/11 07:39 PM
That's how I would go. Maybe. Well, that's how I would know I should go, at least.
Posted By: jakewash Re: AGP Graphics Card Recommendation - 01/27/11 09:51 PM
If you don't mind putting some parts together, you can "build" your own PC from parts. A place like Tigerdirect.ca makes it very easy with bare bone packages that you can buy. I just had an email from them with such a package and it was only $299. Many other PC shops do similar packages.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AGP Graphics Card Recommendation - 01/27/11 09:53 PM
I put mine together from parts I ordered from newegg.com, almost 2 years ago. It's fast, and I've never experienced a problem with it, other than I wore out the mouse and had to replace it.
Posted By: fredk Re: AGP Graphics Card Recommendation - 01/28/11 03:56 AM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
... other than I wore out the mouse and had to replace it.

Sure. That's what all the cats say. We'll be checking for hairballs...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AGP Graphics Card Recommendation - 01/28/11 04:12 AM
My precious. My precious. (While stroking mouse)
© Axiom Message Boards