Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BobKay Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 05:11 PM
I shudder when I hear adults say that!

REMINDER: if you have neither a guest room, nor a comfy sofa, get on the stick.

If there has been no recent attention given to said "stick," then you're home free.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 05:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poohsticks <-- my favorite stick game. There's even a yearly championship.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 05:25 PM
Read it. Sounds like an amazingly absorbing way to spend 90 seconds.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 05:26 PM
Then again, based on replies to my sex question, that's seems to be about all the time that is required for our friends here.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 06:11 PM
I ordered 2 dozen pink roses to be sent to the restaurant my wife is a waitress at. The note says " For the best wife"
Posted By: CV Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 06:14 PM
So they're sent to the restaurant, but not specifically to her? And they're left to figure out which married woman they're for? Nice.
Posted By: Wid Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 06:15 PM

I don't celebrate the love for my wife once a year, I do it every day by my words and actions. That is what love is about, not some made up holiday.
Posted By: CV Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 06:17 PM
Special occasions are the punctuation. If you never do anything out of the ordinary, your love is one long run-on sentence. Ha ha.
Posted By: Wid Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 06:23 PM

Says who, you. I been married over 28 years and been together 30, how long is your longest relationship?
Posted By: CV Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 06:39 PM
Did it sound like actual criticism? I realize I have no actual insight on relationships. Take it easy.
Posted By: Wid Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 06:49 PM

Well, yes it did.
Posted By: CV Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 06:55 PM
For future reference, any time I say anything about relationships, that's the joke.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: wid

I don't celebrate the love for my wife once a year, I do it every day by my words and actions. That is what love is about, not some made up holiday.

I never realized you were such a sentimental old fart Ricky. grin
Posted By: Wid Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 07:28 PM
grin grin
Posted By: BobKay Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 08:00 PM

I DO beleive you mean that, Rick, but, you know, when (any)one actually says or writes that, it seems startlingly insincere.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 08:02 PM
28 years of marriage, I think that says it all. Congradulations Rick, I hope my wife stays with me another 20 years wink
Posted By: BobKay Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 08:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Lampshade
I ordered 2 dozen pink roses to be sent to the restaurant my wife is a waitress at. The note says " For the best wife"

I just returned from the florist-----w/flowers, but ain't no roses----not @ 80 smackers a dozen. And, on Tues, they'll be $35, like they were last Tuesday.

As for Charels' response to your "note," I'd love to see all the married women there fight over it-----NO! It's for me
Posted By: Wid Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 08:09 PM
Originally Posted By: BobKay

I DO beleive you mean that, Rick, but, you know, when (any)one actually says or writes that, it seems startlingly insincere.

Well Bob, I really don't care what you think.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 08:12 PM
This is becoming the St Valentine's Day Massacre thread.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 08:18 PM
That wasn't even remotely confrontational. Are you drunk?
Posted By: BobKay Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 08:21 PM
Or are you functionally illerate without emoticons? And drunk?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 08:27 PM
Hey, wait a minute guys. We're a family, and we're just talking about Valentines Day.

If we're gonna have a family fight, let's save it for Thanksgiving like every other family. grin
Posted By: Adrian Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 08:43 PM
Fair enough Mark. We can have 2 fights since Canadian and American TG's fall on different days too!!
Posted By: BobKay Re: Valentime's Day - 02/13/11 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Hey, wait a minute guys. We're a family, and we're just talking about Valentines Day.

We were. That is, until love and sentiment reared their ugly heads. And WTH do they have to do with Valentine's Day?
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 12:10 AM
I just got home from Legal Seafood. Love is baked stuffed lobster, crab cakes, shrimp and scallops and cole slaw.

Unfortunately, the flowers will be addressed to my wife as well as the inscription. So no haymakers.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 12:25 AM
Your crab cakes are disturbing to me as a west coaster. wink
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 01:34 AM
Legal Seafood's is a little different. A big pile of crab meat in a nice sauce.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 01:36 AM
That's what I meant.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 04:04 AM
Come to Gangland. I will take you and Bob Kay out to dinner.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 04:28 AM
I'm taking my ladies (wife and 5 yo daughter) to see Josh Ritter play at the 9:30 club in DC on Monday night.

This probably needs some explanation. My wife and I have loved Josh Ritter since we first heard him in 2002-3(?) and saw him play in San Francisco. Our daughter started listening to him after we started playing his latest album for her. It has a song called Long Shadows that features the lyrics "I'm not afraid of the dark / I've been here before." She asks for this at bedtime so the dark won't bother her. grin

Our daughter made a big pink valentine today that she hopes to give to Josh at the concert. I'll do my best to make it happen. smile
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 05:22 AM
I'm basically with Rick on this. My wife has no expectations on Valentine's Day. We have an awesome life together every day.

AND I got her some roses today.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 07:00 AM
My wife doesn't even like roses, and we don't do V day. Forget a card on her birthday, though, and dude...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 11:34 AM
Joyce hates cards...she says they're such a waste of money. Actually, most of her thoughts on this run along the theme of Michaels posts: The "Holidays" made up by HallMark, etc.

We're not doing anything today, though we might try to go out to dinner this week if we can get a puppy sitter. We used to go out a few times a week but haven't been out since November now.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 02:31 PM

Bingo. That's precisely how my wife & I see it too. A nice dinner. Roses. Cards. Chocolates. Those things should not be reserved for one "special" day a year for the one you love.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 02:32 PM
Pshh. You're so puppy-whipped.
Posted By: Wid Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko

laugh laugh
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko

laugh laugh

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Argon Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth

Bingo. That's precisely how my wife & I see it too. A nice dinner. Roses. Cards. Chocolates. Those things should not be reserved for one "special" day a year for the one you love.

My wife and I have been married 25 years and together for 27. I actually agree with both viewpoints - you don't last as long as we have unless you live it day in and day out. She hates the Valentine's pressure - so we usually low key it. This year, rather than buying a hokey card, I wrote her a letter. Ran that by several ladies here at work and they said it was an excellent idea.
Posted By: Argon Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 05:54 PM
One point of clarification - the letter is hand written on paper with a pen - for those too young to remember that form of communication. I tried using cursive - but, alas, that seems to be a dying artform for me....
Posted By: BrenR Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 06:06 PM
In true "me" fashion, my newest "future ex-girlfriend" got a card that reads "I like my Valentines like I like my martinis... dirty."

I am really not good at taking this holiday seriously.

A few years ago, my poem ended "I love you from far, I love you when near... if you're passing the fridge, can you bring back a beer?"

Bren R.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 06:21 PM

I took it as sincere. That's nice, Rick!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 06:22 PM
Most Awkward Valentine's Day Photos Ever via Daily Beast
Posted By: Wid Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 06:54 PM

Thank you Mary.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 07:56 PM
Originally Posted By: sonicfox

I took it as sincere. That's nice, Rick!

Mary, Mary, Mary...you're a woman! That's what all guys want you to think. Coffee, grlfrnd. Inhale...there ya go.
Posted By: RickF Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 09:15 PM
That is nice Rick and just about sums it up, going on 29 years here for the very same reason you said.

Now I can go back and reinstate the 'ignore user' from the 'stop ignoring user' option.

wink
Posted By: Argon Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 09:40 PM
I am starting to think the same.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 10:16 PM
Today, I have irony for you! My girlfriend LOVES to receive flowers, so I get some frequently (at least 20 times a year, if not more), sometimes just one or two, sometimes so bigger arrangements I make. Well... tonight, she's not getting any flowers because the lines at the flower shops are WAY too long and the flowers left are not as nice as what I usually get her!
So it seems we have a "reverse Valentine" going on here!
(I did write her a poem though... but I do that often too! :-) )
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 10:18 PM
Yeah, that's one of the big problems with V day. Flowers get really expensive, and the quality naturally goes down.

Mental note: get my wife some flowers soon. Been too long since I've done that... you guys will help me remember, right?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 10:19 PM
Do better. Plant her a flower garden.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 10:27 PM
Zing.
Posted By: RickF Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 10:37 PM
Funny, today the young lady who lives across the street knocked on our door and asked if she could hang out with us for a little while because whenever she came home from work her boyfriend was planning a special something for her at the house and he wasn't finished yet. She stayed maybe thirty or forty minutes before he called and whenever she was leaving we noticed all of the blinds in their house was closed and the wife and I ribbed her a little about that and told her to go have fun...

About twenty minutes later we walked outside to take the dog for a walk and noticed all of the window blinds and the front door were open with an appliance repair truck in the driveway!

laugh

Prior to my wife retiring I would occasionally and at random send her flowers at the office although we don't anything special (overboard) for Valentine's Day.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Valentime's Day - 02/14/11 10:54 PM
I have an alternate plan. I have printed a high-res 5x7 picture of a previous bouquet I got her! It should be good for a laugh, at least! smile
Posted By: Adrian Re: Valentime's Day - 02/15/11 12:08 AM
As long as she doesn't give you a hi-res pic of her middle finger in return. shocked wink
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Valentime's Day - 02/15/11 01:49 AM
Awkward valentines day moment: Having recently watched "Blood into Wine", I decided to pick up a good red wine. Then I ended up checking out with the wine, cheese, chocolate, and a various amount of fresh fruit to use with my new blender. Took me a second to understand the sly look from the cashier. Oh yeah...today.

It may be just me right now, but it'd be great to sometime have a non-V-day fanatic woman some of you all guys have. Every day should be good!

And it all started with asking if she liked the taste of beer...
Posted By: JohnK Re: Valentime's Day - 02/15/11 02:42 AM
Yeah; give a woman a flower and you've given beauty for a few days, teach her how to grow flowers and she'll have beauty for a lifetime and put the florists out of business.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Valentime's Day - 02/15/11 03:51 AM
My wife really liked her flowers. We took a lot of pictures and it turned out to be a happy event for her.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Valentime's Day - 02/15/11 04:04 AM
I hope you wore your fancy boots when you gave them too her!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Valentime's Day - 02/15/11 04:15 AM
I usually beat the rush and give my wife flowers any where from a week down to a day or 2 early.
Posted By: Argon Re: Valentime's Day - 02/15/11 12:30 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Yeah; give a woman a flower and you've given beauty for a few days, teach her how to grow flowers and she'll have beauty for a lifetime and put the florists out of business.

Actually, my wife taught me to grow flowers - and for the record, the letter scored major points.
© Axiom Message Boards