Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d Budget super car shoot out - 02/16/11 06:34 PM
For the gear heads around here.......

This is one of the best video's I've seen. Motortrend track test / shoot out - 2011 Mustang GT 500 vrs 2011 Corvette Z06 vrs 2012 GTR.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...jbpjYGdRcR5pDKr

It's too bad he disabled all the vette's nannies. There are four different settings and it's widely known you are taking your life into your hands if you completely disable all of them (much like the Viper). The GTR can turn anyone into a race car driver. Amazing car. The GT 500 just weighs too much and the solid axle kills it.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/16/11 06:37 PM
I will wait for the new Camaro ZL1
Posted By: Adrian Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/16/11 06:46 PM
Read the article a couple of days ago. Some car companies are slow learners...it's all about power-to-weight, not absolute power.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/16/11 09:45 PM
Ya, power to weight and the ability to put it to the ground. I had a 2900 pound 69 nova making 750hp a couple decades ago. Street legal tires and it was worthless for anything other than smoke shows. With racing slicks it was terrifying and took an act of God for me to keep it in a straight line.

Weight distribution is pretty for important too, and often overlooked.

The ZL1 looks pretty sweet Randy. Hopefully, they shave a few hundred pounds off of it, but that's doubtful seeing how GM seams to be more interested in creature comforts.

That dual clutch auto the GTR is pretty impressive though.
Posted By: RickF Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/16/11 10:23 PM
Speaking of power to weight and putting it to the ground ... my son and I watched these guys Sunday night at Volusia County Speedway, FL.

1375lbs w/driver, 850hp on a 1/2 mile dirt track @ 143 mph = hauling the mail! If you like this type of racing and have never seen a World of Outlaws race I strongly suggest you do yourself a favor and go personally watch a race, these cars are bad ass fast to the bone.

World of Outlaws...

Posted By: Adrian Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/16/11 10:31 PM
I wish they'd resurrect something like the old CanAmm series back in the 60s-70s. Those were some pieces of Mocheenery!
Posted By: michael_d Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/16/11 10:52 PM
I've built a few 410 sprint engines Rick. Never had the nuts to drive one of the cars though. The engines are all aluminum chevy small blocks burning an unbelievable amount of alcohol through a combination of 'dumb' fuel injection through an intake manifold and down nozzles that feed directly into the head's combustion chambers. They run around 15/1 static CR, use dry sump oil systems and crank case vac pumps to keep the rings seated. They have so much dirt ingested that extra alcohol is needed to wash the cylinders and all clearances have to be tailored to this as well. They are a sonofabitch to build and usually only good for one race. I lost my ass on them, so stopped building them and stuck to the standard roundy rounds and drag engines.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/16/11 11:28 PM
Rick, you need to make it up to the Sprint Capital of the world, Knoxville, IA.
Posted By: INANE Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/17/11 04:54 AM
ZR1 FTW
Posted By: medic8r Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/17/11 07:08 PM
I continue to be amazed at the Message Boards' encyclopedic community knowledge. I don't know squat about how cars work, but after reading Michael's post, I feel like I've got to get the grease out from under my fingernails. Well done.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/17/11 10:21 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
I continue to be amazed at the Message Boards' encyclopedic community knowledge. I don't know squat about how cars work, but after reading Michael's post, I feel like I've got to get the grease out from under my fingernails. Well done.

If you don't work on cars, where'd the grease come from?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/17/11 10:23 PM
He said he didn't know squat about cars, not that he didn't work on them.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/17/11 10:27 PM
Reminds me - I'm gonna need another week for yours, Bob. VISA still the same, expiring in 11/12?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/17/11 10:42 PM
JP, I'll send over that sawzall you requested pronto.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/17/11 10:55 PM
As long as it doesn't come back addicted to chloral hydrate and overdosing on Seroquel, I'm OK.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/17/11 10:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
JP, I'll send over that sawzall you requested pronto.

Before you do, install the blade backwards. Let's see if he notices. We're gonna need a videographer.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/17/11 10:58 PM
And a gypsy caravan with some highly trained Romanian hand "surgeons."
Posted By: Craig_P Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/18/11 11:49 PM
Question for someone who knows: How did they manage to put $25,000 worth of options on the Vette? Seems a little unfair to mention that the Nissan is cheaper when it's bone stock and the Vette has an extra $25k added to its base price (unless these options are required to keep up with the GTR?)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/19/11 12:02 AM
Some of them are performance package parts, but they also tossed in a number of creature comforts.
Posted By: RickF Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/19/11 12:25 AM
Speaking of Corvette, check out this 557 hp V8 Corvette outboard engine ... Seven Marine

For $70k each engine, you can have one, two or three of these engines for your boat!

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/19/11 12:39 AM
A $70,000 outboard?!?! That doesn't seem like a good value.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/19/11 01:29 AM
So you're only buying one then, Tom?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/19/11 02:51 AM
Well, I'm going to have to see the graphs first.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/20/11 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Craig_P
Question for someone who knows: How did they manage to put $25,000 worth of options on the Vette? Seems a little unfair to mention that the Nissan is cheaper when it's bone stock and the Vette has an extra $25k added to its base price (unless these options are required to keep up with the GTR?)

The GTR has a higher price tag than a base Z06. With the added options, the prices for both are simular.

The Z06 in the article had some additions (Z07, carbon, navigation and 3LZ). One is the carbon package. This package includes carbon fiber splitter, spoiler, and side skirts. It also had the Z07 package which is Mich PS2 tires, different wheels, carbon ceramic brakes and selective magnetic ride control (with launch control). The 3LZ package is an interior upgrade that adds more leather.

There are four different models of corvette and each of those models has options / packages available. Vettes range in price from about 50K to 120K.

1) Basic C6, which can also come in a rag top or targa. There are four different trim options for the interior. There are a couple performance related options also available.
2) Grand Sport. This is a basic C6 but with wide body fenders, wider tires and different wheels to give it the look of the Z06. The Grand Sport coup also comes with a dry sump engine oiling system found on the Z06. In other words, it’s a Z06 poser. It’s quite popular as it’s about 20K less than a Z06 and many folks don't care about the etra performance. You can get the GS in targa or convertible too.
3) Z06. Completely different animal. Starts out with an aluminum and magnesium frame, completely different brakes, suspension and carbon fiber front fenders. You can not get this car as a convertible or targa because of the aluminum frame. It is built to be light; so many creature comforts are not available. You can only get it with the 6 speed manual transition. The Z06 also has the LS7 engine, which is a 505 hp, naturally aspirated, 7.0 ltr (427 cubic inch) small block with a 7000 rpm redline. It also has a dry sump oiling system. It has a perfect 50/50 four corner weight distribution.
4) ZR1. This car has everything the Z06, but a different, more powerful engine, carbon ceramic brakes, and a completely different traction and handling control system called PTM. The engine is a supercharged 6.2 ltr (364 cubic inch), 638 hp. It also has a dry sump oiling system. This car has carbon fiber body parts the Z06 does not, including the roof and hood. The car is about 250 pounds heavier than the Z06 and has a different weight distribution of 52/48. What really stands out with this car is PTM. It’s a somewhat revolutionary control system that still gives the driver a “hands on” experience, but makes the car more forgiving than the Z06.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/20/11 10:11 PM
I find it interesting that the GT1 Corvette was based on the Z06, while the GT2 is based on (and designated as) a ZR1. Yet the GT1 car, at least on paper, was more formidable than the GT2. Of course, when they built the GT1 car, the ZR1 was not in production...

ALso interesting, the street ZR1 has a whole lot more HP than the racing GT2-- it's restricted by class rules.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/21/11 05:14 AM
Michael, the real question is where are the pictures. Or are they shipping Via Pony express.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/21/11 05:44 AM
Unless there's another Ferrari with single brake lights in the upper corners of the rear, I was driving behind a black Ferrari 458 Italia today on my way to volleyball. Most expensive car I've seen on the road in a long time.

The guy was only going 5 over the speed limit, too. LAME
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/21/11 06:56 AM
Wow, haven't seen one of those on the road yet. Of course, I haven't seen many modern Ferraris. The occasional F430, but I don't know if I've ever seen any of the other current ones.
Posted By: fredk Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/21/11 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
The guy was only going 5 over the speed limit, too. LAME

You really need a racetrack or autobahn for those cars.
Posted By: Craig_P Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/21/11 08:23 PM
Yeah I was just reading a Road & Track comparo from a few months back and they had a Z06 optioned the exact same way (perhaps same test car?). Probably could do without the carbon package and leather package. Adding those in doesn't do anything performance wise (at least I doubt the carbon fiber add-ons do much) , and brings the price dangerously close to a ZR1. Both wicked cars, regardless.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/21/11 08:48 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Unless there's another Ferrari with single brake lights in the upper corners of the rear, I was driving behind a black Ferrari 458 Italia today on my way to volleyball. Most expensive car I've seen on the road in a long time.

Last year a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren (my favorite car, along with the Bugatti Veyron) passed us in Toronto, and I also wheeled by another one in a parking lot in Toronto. At nearly twice the price of the Ferrari 458, it's the most expensive car that I've seen in public. It's a gorgeous car, and I was tempted to touch it, but was worried about setting off an alarm smile.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/21/11 08:52 PM
I've seen a Carrera GT in person, yet not seen the more common GT3, go figure.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/21/11 09:01 PM
Actually, there seem to be quite a few with single lights. Could have been a California. Or a 599 GTB or GTO. Although I would be quite surprised if it was a 599 GTO.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Budget super car shoot out - 02/22/11 03:14 AM
Nah, it was the Italia.
© Axiom Message Boards