Axiom Home Page
Posted By: medic8r Pomp and Circumstance - 03/10/11 09:14 PM
It was either call it that or "The Learnin' Thread."

After discussion of high school and college in BobKay's thread, it got me to wondering about the education levels of the board members. All data will be used in my upcoming paper on audiopiles.

Pardon this moment of political correctness: I recognize that education level does not always correspond to intelligence. There is no judging here. I just have a morbid curiosity and am used to asking people this kind of question all day long.

Poll Question: What is the highest level of schooling that you have completed?

NOTES:
• Admittedly, these are answers that fit the U.S. educational system. International users and others that may feel that your answer does not fit neatly into these pigeon holes, then give it your best shot anyway.
• Look here for the definition of GED.
• I would consider a trade certification that took up to two years to complete (e.g. cosmetology, phlebotomy) around the same as an Associate's degree.
• I know our group will skew higher than average, but I'm curious to see how much higher.

Posted By: CatBrat Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/10/11 09:40 PM
I received a GED in the military by just taking the test. Then completed a 9 month, 6 hours a day, computer programming school back in the late 70's. Then I've taken several individual college courses through the years. I've decided to call this an Associates degree.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/10/11 09:51 PM
Looks like a pretty even distribution to me.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/10/11 09:58 PM
Hopefully this will go well and then I can start polling people on more intimate stuff. Mwah hah haaaa
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/10/11 10:09 PM
I didn't "technically" finish high school, as I had my accident during the school year, but I do have my high school diploma.

I haven't, and will not, pursue any education that I have to pay money for. Ridicule me all you want, but I believe that education should be free in a democratic society.

I've self taught myself via various media on multiple topics. The majority of books that I've read, and own, are used in college and university curriculum.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/10/11 11:24 PM
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Ridicule me all you want

You idiot! You dolt! What a moron! You idealistic freetard!

I've self taught myself

As opposed to someone else self-teaching you, right?

I feel better now. laugh
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 12:09 AM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I've self taught myself

As opposed to someone else self-teaching you, right?

I feel better now. laugh

Dammit! smile
Posted By: bridgman Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 03:13 AM
I just took the average down a bit... sorry wink
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 03:35 AM
John, 1st grade was not a choice.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 03:47 AM
OK, so I didn't take the average down as much as I could have wink
Posted By: Adrian Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 03:52 AM
8000 hr Tool & Die apprenticeship, what's that come under? Doctorate of Milling? Bachelors Degree of Turning?

Should have had a selection for tradesman, JP. I'm sure there's a few here(although I'm no longer in the trade).
Posted By: jakewash Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 04:37 AM
If you read a little closer a trade certification of at least 2000hrs would be considered an Associates Degree. wink
Posted By: Ajax Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: bridgman
I just took the average down a bit... sorry wink

John, you went to "that-school-up-North." We already knew you were going to lower the average.

Sorry John. Couldn't resist. No disrepect meant seriously. U of M is a great school

(with a temporarily lousy football team)
Posted By: BobKay Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 03:08 PM
Great idea, JP. Being an idiot, I'm most impressed with how you managed the whole vote/graphics interface.

If you can do that, I have tons of ?'s that I'd have asked to everyone already, if I knew there WAS a way to do it anonymously.

I'd ask you to tell me how you did it, but it took posts from 6 people here to teach me how to imbed a URL, so...

And if you DID tell me, more people would hate you than at present.

I'd be concerned about how ugly this poll thing could get, but the savage amusement quotient wins out handily.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 05:09 PM
The polls are easy to set up. Check the FAQ.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 05:49 PM
Pipe down, you. I have Bob convinced I'm a genius.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
The polls are easy to set up. Check the FAQ.

Ken, you should know better. You're one of the six people who tried to help me figure out the URL thing.

I'll just have to trust that Doctor S. has equally deviant things on his mind. And I do.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 07:38 PM
Looks like a pretty even distribution to me.

You chimed in too soon, of course, when the number of responses (n) was 4. I think you were being funny; if not, I'll still give you the benefit of the doubt wink Now that we're at n=30, there's a nice bell curve centered around a 4-year college degree.

Bob and I will confer on future polls.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 07:54 PM
Of course I was being funny. I'm always being funny. Except when I'm not being funny. When I'm not being funny, it's not funny.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 08:10 PM
You're funny.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 08:17 PM
You tink dat's funny?
Posted By: BobKay Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 08:18 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Bob and I will confer on future polls.

I'd be honored. Will there be any injuries incurred?
Posted By: BobKay Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 08:21 PM
[You chimed in too soon, of course, when the number of responses (n) was 4. I think you were being funny; if not, I'll still give you the benefit of the doubt wink Now that we're at n=30, there's a nice bell curve centered around a 4-year college degree.

If there's any more algebra II involved, I'll have to recuse myself.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 08:26 PM
Recuse yourself, abuse yourself - another day in the land of Bob.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 08:50 PM
Amuse yourself - another day in the land of Mark.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 08:53 PM
There's the right attitude!

This board is one of my main ways of amusing myself.

Hat tip to you all.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 10:34 PM
Of course I was being funny. I'm always being funny. Except when I'm not being funny. When I'm not being funny, it's not funny.
You're funny.

Funny lookin'!
Posted By: SBrown Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/11/11 11:13 PM
Between the ears! smile
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/12/11 02:34 AM

I believe that education should be free in a democratic society.

At least to a high school diploma level, but even that isn't always happening.

I have my MBA in Technical Management, and honestly it hasn't helped me retain a job in tough times (even when I had excellent reviews and had my manager apologizing over and over when they couldn't extend my employment longer than 1 month after my office closed) and it didn't seem to help me get a job faster either.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/12/11 02:52 AM
Free education? if you can convince land owners to give you a few acres for nothing, builders and suppliers to erect the facility for free, then get a staff of a 100 or so teachers to work for nothing, it could be possible...oh yeah, books, computers ect, maybe Staples could donate those....otherwise I guess it'll be paid by taxes.
Posted By: CV Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/12/11 04:59 AM
This board is one of my main ways of amusing myself.

Hat tip to you all.

We all remember when you forsook us for Facebook. Of course you came crawling back.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/12/11 09:10 AM
Yeah, JP; that made me sad.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/12/11 01:06 PM
Why do I have the urge to pen a country song about this?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/12/11 02:43 PM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

I believe that education should be free in a democratic society.

At least to a high school diploma level, but even that isn't always happening.

Originally Posted By: Adrian
Free education? if you can convince land owners to give you a few acres for nothing, builders and suppliers to erect the facility for free, then get a staff of a 100 or so teachers to work for nothing, it could be possible...oh yeah, books, computers ect, maybe Staples could donate those....otherwise I guess it'll be paid by taxes.

My philosophical beliefs on how a society should be run are obviously the reasons for my sentiments towards education.

Nothing can or will be free in an evil capitalist society that exploits everything and everyone that it can.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/12/11 05:00 PM
What modernized society doesn't exploit every thing and everyone, capitalist or not?
Posted By: grunt Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/12/11 09:59 PM
Not sure how to answer w/o a how many years of schooling option. Technically I only have a High School diploma. However, I have over 7 years of post High School education mostly at the Masters level. I’m just to much of a lazy non-conformist to “dot-the-I’s- and-cross-the-T’s” to have someone actually call any of it a degree. So which should I put for your poll “High School?
Posted By: grunt Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/12/11 10:00 PM
“Free” education? Let me check what my property taxes are going for . . . .
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 03:18 AM
Originally Posted By: grunt
Not sure how to answer w/o a how many years of schooling option. Technically I only have a High School diploma. However, I have over 7 years of post High School education mostly at the Masters level. I’m just to much of a lazy non-conformist to “dot-the-I’s- and-cross-the-T’s” to have someone actually call any of it a degree. So which should I put for your poll “High School?

I'm in almost exactly the same situation. 18 months of a trade school (well, Art Institute), and 30 months at a 2 year collage. I think I'd have an AS in Computer Science if I filled in the right forms, and a second in Mathematics if I completed one more course. But I put High School as my level, because "Some College", which I usually pick, was not listed.

I'm proud of not having a college degree. smile
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 03:42 AM
You sure you're not more proud at what you've achieved without one rather than being proud you don't have one? Sounds like a cut against us institutionalized folks. wink
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 03:57 AM
Yeah, I'm hearing a hint of "you and your book-learnin'" smile
Posted By: Adrian Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 04:15 AM
Next, JohnK will be tellin' us he dropped out in grade 9! wink
Posted By: grunt Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 04:27 AM
I flunked 2nd grade, because I couldn’t read, damm dyslexia.

I also skipped most of my senior year of high school since I turned 18 half way through. Back then in AZ you could write your own excuses if you were 18 so I just had friends turn in my home work and showed up for tests.

The office workers use to bitch at me when I’d write excuses like “Kidnapped by Pirates.” bureaucrats . . . no sense of humour.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 04:33 AM
I used to write my own notes to get out early, or take a day off in high school, mostly gr 9-10(age 15-16). When I say "wrote my own note", I mean signing one of my parents name on it....I always wondered years later if the school mailed those notes back to my parents or not. I'm still alive, so I guess my dad never saw them.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 06:09 AM
Notes? You guys used notes? I was never brave enough to write a note, I just told the teachers I had an appointment of some kind, Denist, Doctor, for some 'injury' and I was out the door, no questions asked smile
Posted By: fredk Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 03:38 PM
Nothing can or will be free in an evil capitalist society involving people that will exploit everything and everyone that it they can.

Fixed. Put people in the mix and there will be exploitation. We are all evil captialists (ie: selfish) at heart.
Posted By: fredk Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 03:42 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Sounds like a cut against us institutionalized folks. wink

Oooooh, did you get one of the padded rooms?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 03:44 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk
Nothing can or will be free in an evil capitalist society involving people that will exploit everything and everyone that it they can.

Fixed. Put people in the mix and there will be exploitation. We are all evil captialists (ie: selfish) at heart.

The human element is why communism doesn't work either. Great concept on paper and in theory. Applied it has shown to fail time and time again to be oppressive and exploitative to its people. Every political and economic system is not perfect and flawed in its own particular way.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 03:51 PM
No, our room was concrete.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Dr.House
The human element is why communism doesn't work either. Great concept on paper and in theory. Applied it has shown to fail time and time again to be oppressive and exploitative to its people. Every political and economic system is not perfect and flawed in its own particular way.

QFT.
Posted By: fredk Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 04:24 PM
What does quantum field theory have to do with this?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 07:04 PM

Ah, social darwinism..... There's no truth to the selfish gene?

There are numerous groups of peoples around the world that live altruistically, like our common ancestors.

Tribes, and mennonites are perfect examples.

Human beings have evolved to the point where we can understand the selfish genes that shaped us. Being conscious of this, every time we do some form of charity work, an altruistic act etc., we are overcoming natural selection.

"Our evolved brains empower us to rebel against our selfish genes"-Richard Dawkins

Call me Huxley grin .
Posted By: fredk Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 07:14 PM
I highly doubt our common ancestors lived in social Altruism. It is easy to look at the past through rose coloured glasses to pick and choose what we like.

Tribes are an interesting choice of example. Internally very supportive, externally very opportunistic. There is a very clear division of Us and Them and very clear rules for dealing with the two.

Quote:
"Our evolved brains empower us to rebel against our selfish genes"-Richard Dawkins

Hmm... but what do we do with that empowerment. How many people even think about this stuff?

Back to you Huxley.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 09:10 PM
I highly doubt our common ancestors lived in social Altruism. It is easy to look at the past through rose coloured glasses to pick and choose what we like.

When I said "common ancestors" I was referring to the ape. Chimpanzees are extremely altruistic and consoling.

Quote:

Hmm... but what do we do with that empowerment. How many people even think about this stuff?

What do we do with that empowerment? We are altruistic, caring etc. That's precisely what Dawkins is saying in that quote.

There's obviously bad people in the world that are empowered in vicious ways, but that has nothing to do with what Dawkins is talking about. This empowerment that he mentions, gives us the capacity to be the exact opposite type of person.

Huxley was just for a laugh BTW, Fred :-). He popped into my head because there was mention of him in a documentary and I watched on Thursday.
Posted By: fredk Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/13/11 10:13 PM
Quote:
When I said "common ancestors" I was referring to the ape. Chimpanzees are extremely altruistic and consoling.

Well, the pedant in me must point out that they are not a common ancestor, and in fact may not be our closes relative.

Chimps are also capable of waging war and have been observed doing so. They are also capable of murder, bribery (food for sex being one form) playing favorites and a number of other not so nice human characteristics. You should check out some of the more recent research. National Geographic did an excellent piece on chimps not long ago.

As to Dawkins, he is not particularly altruistic or charitable toward the 'tribe' antithetical to his own atheist tribe.

What say you now Huxley old chap? wink
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 12:46 AM
Chimpanzees are extremely altruistic and consoling.

Within their own clan. They can be quite quite the bastard warriors against chimps from other clans. They also hunt and eat other primates.

I think it's time to stop using other primates as examples to be looked up to, Cam.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 01:32 AM
Cam writes:

Gee, Cam, no ape (pongidae) is a common ancestor of human beings.

Chimps altruistic and consoling? Yeah, no, they're not. They'll gladly bite your face off and shtupp you up the tuchas.

Huey Newton, freedom fighter? No, murderer.

Che Guevara, freedom fighter? No, a mass murderer.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 03:00 AM
That penguin of yours isn't too kind, himself, 2x6. wink
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 03:25 AM
Those are trained attack penguins, in case you hadn't noticed.
Posted By: CV Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 03:28 AM
Trained by the Three Stooges?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 03:30 AM
You may laugh, but you won't be laughing after you've been flippered.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 03:31 AM
I used to feel bad for the cute little seals getting chased by great white sharks. Then I saw the seals chasing penguins trying to rip them apart. Damn seals.

There are stories after stories of monkees or chimps or apes ( I don't the difference) ripping people apart and gouging them and biting them. It's horrific. Wild animals are wild animals.
Posted By: CV Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 03:32 AM
I'll trust my ringing ears.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 03:34 AM
What?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 03:35 AM
Chimps and baboons are pretty fearsome animals. They do hunt and eat meat, usually monkeys and such. I saw one eat Mickey Dolenz.
Posted By: CV Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 03:36 AM
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
What?

I'm saying I'll stop laughing once the flipper has caused ringing in my ears.
Posted By: CV Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 03:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Chimps and baboons are pretty fearsome animals. They do hunt and eat meat, usually monkeys and such. I saw one eat Mickey Dolenz.

Was that before his career started?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 03:54 AM
Lol, yeah after the monkey ate Mickey he went ape sh#t!
Posted By: CV Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 03:58 AM
Ha ha. Other people go bananas. He goes digested bananas.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 05:14 AM
ooooohhh, 2x sixeee

congratulations on your very low member identification #.

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 05:36 AM
Yup. Been here a while.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 11:50 AM
Why do we always have to fall back on comparing ourselves to the ape family?

Isn't there some way we can do a car analogy instead?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 12:38 PM
I'd better choose Ferrari before Ken wakes up.

Time zone differential exploitation FTW!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 01:59 PM
Remote stab remote stab remote stab.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Pomp and Circumstance - 03/14/11 02:22 PM
You're avitar looks like the little one is going to punch someone in the face.
© Axiom Message Boards