Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BlueJays1 Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/23/11 04:07 PM
I like Firefox 4 so far (just downloaded it today), but I am kind of curious about the newly released IE9 (supposedly improved over past MS web browsers) and google Chrome.

What do you all use on your PC's and how does these all stack up for speed, security, features?
Posted By: cb919 Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/23/11 04:56 PM
I only use Firefox except for a few work related pages where I am mostly forced to use IE8. Just installed FF4 after reading this post - I like it so far (all 5 minutes of it!). It does seem quicker and I already noticed improvements in the way it handles add-ons. That by the way is what I like alot about Firefox and is why I use it - the customisation that can be done to tailor it to your needs with the add-ons.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/23/11 05:04 PM
I find 4 pretty quick as well. I am coming off the previous version of Firefox, IE before that. I like Firefox a lot better than IE but I have not used IE9 nor any version of google Chrome. The thing I like a lot about Firefox is the add-ons as well especially Ad block+ since I visit a lot of audio/video forums and those sites are just riddled with advertisements. Do you know if Chrome supports Ad block?

There is also this new feature that you can check in the options to tell websites not to be tracked (I am guessing this is about tracking cookies or something like that). Not sure really...
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 01:52 AM
Just upgraded to firefox 4 as well. Seems faster than firefox 3.6 that I had.

I used IE for years (Netscape Navigator before that). I switched to Google Chrome a couple years ago, then to firefox probably last year.

Posted By: terzaghi Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 01:54 AM
Thought this was cool:

Firefox 4 downloads eclipse Internet Explorer 9

Microsoft said last week that the new version of its Web browser, Internet Explorer 9, was downloaded 2.3 million times in the first 24 hours.

Firefox logo

Mozilla’s Firefox 4, which was released Tuesday, was already over 10 million as of 3:45 p.m. today.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 02:36 AM
I am a Firefox fan as well. I too only use IE for work stuff. I tried Chrome, but it never "stuck". I too upgraded to FF4, and sure enough, like all previous major updates, 3 of my add-ons aren't compatible, but it is just a matter of time before they are.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 04:57 AM
Just updated my FF as well. I don't like the tabs above model on a 24" monitor; I don't mind it on my 15" laptop, but on the big screen, it's tricky. I'll have to look into customization. Certainly feels faster, and I can definitely see using the pinned tabs, esp if I can figure out how to change the icons.
Posted By: Murph Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 11:43 AM
I use FF for most everything except a few work apps that still only run on Explorer 6.0. How sad is that. Company doesn't like us using anything but the corporate v.6 but if you don't have another choice, a lot of new pages simply don't work.

Did the new FF add the mouse-over previews from the taskbar that was brought in with Windows 7 ? I have to admit, I like that feature enough I started using IE sometimes at home.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 12:04 PM
Ken, just right click at the top and de-select "tabs-on-top"
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 12:04 PM
I think my work still uses IE 6.0 as well.

We also use XP. We just upgraded to office 2007 about the time that office 2010 came out.

I am pretty adamant about always updating my operating system, software, etc. as soon as possible so running old software at works bugs me to no end...
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 01:33 PM
One of the first things I did was disable that. Located in View--->Toolbars--->Tabs on Top (uncheck).

The only other thing I changed from my previous settings where in the Tools---> Options --->Advanced--->General--->Tell websites I do not want to be tracked.
Posted By: Murph Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 01:55 PM
I bet they are tracking that you don't want to be tracked.

Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 03:41 PM
I use FF as well. I posted this a long time ago, so it's probably worthwhile to mention this pipelining trick again, which makes FF faster if you're using broadband.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 03:55 PM
Chrome is where it's at. One of the biggest reasons I like it is because of the toolbar. You can google search and search history right from one place, it's great!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 04:08 PM
Came in this morning, and my FF4 was using >1GB of RAM and was locked up. Maybe 30-40 tabs open. This is not a good sign.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 04:19 PM
What caused that many tabs to be open? Security issue?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 04:21 PM
Me.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 04:34 PM
30 tabs? Wowzers!

I've also had numerous instances of FF using lots of RAM. The only fix was to close it. I don't know if it's common with other browsers, but I have read many forum posts regarding it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 04:35 PM
Oh, I open more than 40 tabs every day. At one time. It's fun to watch computers scream.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 05:07 PM
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
What caused that many tabs to be open? Security issue?
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Me.

grin
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/24/11 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Oh, I open more than 40 tabs every day. At one time. It's fun to watch computers scream.

Cool! New SIG line!
Posted By: Murph Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/25/11 12:13 PM

--------------------Dateline 2099:
In the news today, iNASA reports that artificially intelligent space probes have developd telepathy.
The iGovernment tells people not to panic.

A spokeman from the Dept. of iDefense was quoted as saying,
"It appears that the iProbes have returned from the center of the galaxy with a heightened sense of self awareness but so far their only somewhat hostile act has been targeting what can only be described as "mental screams" at a dusty, preserved head in a jar at The New Hampshire iMuseum of Historical Rock Photography and Square Rooms."

When questioned, the head of the former Mark Johnson says,
"I don't understand it! Ken promised that when he chose immortality by uploading his brain to his latest computer breakthrough,Codenamed NANARASC, "NANotech for Audio Research And Sexual Companionship", THAT THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN!!! HE PROMISED!!!"

The head in a jar was last seen 'rolling away crying.'
--------------------

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/25/11 01:03 PM
Pappa was a Rolling Jar.....
Wherever he laid his lid was his home.
(And when he escaped) All he left us was the lid ajar."
Posted By: INANE Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/26/11 04:06 PM
Originally Posted By: danmagicman7
Chrome is where it's at. One of the biggest reasons I like it is because of the toolbar. You can google search and search history right from one place, it's great!

Chrome > all
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome 11... - 03/26/11 04:18 PM
Originally Posted By: danmagicman7
Chrome is where it's at.

That's usually the case with road kill.
© Axiom Message Boards