Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ClubNeon Hobbit @48fps - 04/12/11 07:26 PM
Peter Jackson is shooting The Hobbit at 48 frames per second.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/48-frames-per-second/10150222861171558

I'm not sure how the 3D aspect plays into this, but I'm happy to hear about an increased native frame rate. It's about time!

Some people are asking if this will be playable at home (theaters with digital projectors will possibly be able to show the double rate with a firmware upgrade). As usual the guesses from the crowd are way off base. There's no way to get 48 fps native from a 1080p24 Blu-ray player. But... If one were to take a 3D player, and use the right eye for the extra frame, it'd be possible to watch the full 48 fps on a 3D TV without glasses (it wouldn't be 3D, obviously).

This is the first time I've been excited about 3D technology, just to get the double frame rate for 2D content.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Hobbit @48fps - 04/12/11 08:32 PM
I like it too, but I'm very sensitive to SHE and motion blur in general. My bet is that the majority of "film purists" will hate it though and go so far as to call it video.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Hobbit @48fps - 04/12/11 08:50 PM
The story was just picked up on Slashdot. Someone jokingly said, "but 24fps is warmer." smile

But yeah, tons of people saying that they like the strobing, and blur. Yeesh.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Hobbit @48fps - 04/12/11 09:05 PM
I saw a computer graphics video demo on a wrap-around screen at SGI up in Northern California in the late 90s that was rendered at 60fps. I think it was a flight simulator. I remember the uncanny smoothness of it all.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Hobbit @48fps - 04/12/11 10:29 PM
I kind of like the idea of 48 fps. I was always amazed at how 24 fps was "film" speed, when science class in middle-school taught me that 30 fps is smooth motion. As long it doesn't look like those "enhancements" that some of the 120Hz and faster TV's do that makes movies and TV look fake. I just want smooth and no jagged motion.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Hobbit @48fps - 04/13/11 03:04 AM
As with all things, interpolation is no substitute for actual data. 48fps will look different than "film", mostly because it'll look more realistic.
Posted By: Craig_P Re: Hobbit @48fps - 04/18/11 12:54 AM
Originally Posted By: michael_d
I like it too, but I'm very sensitive to SHE and motion blur in general. My bet is that the majority of "film purists" will hate it though and go so far as to call it video.

Ebert has been calling for directors to increase frame rate for years. Two examples I could find appear in his blog entries below:
link 1
link 2
© Axiom Message Boards