Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 12:16 PM
What are some of your favorite, simple things or simple, enjoyable moments?

It's unusually warm here this morning, and I spent an hour on the back porch, at dawn, listening to the birds and watching them come into the feeder with Buddy. He was sitting on the futon next to me, and one of my arms was around him and I had a good coffee in the other.

We just sat and watched quietly.

I think it's the most peaceful hour I've had in months.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 12:29 PM
That sounds awesome, Mark.

Some of the best times in life are when we slow everything down and take the time to notice it.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 12:35 PM
YOU BET! That kind of stuff is what makes you a rich man. Just a guess, but I suspect it would not have been quite as special without the presence and physical contact with Buddy. Tactile communication is a very powerful thing.
Posted By: Adrian Re: The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 01:14 PM
One of my fave's would be heading out onto the lake early in the morning....water is like glass with a heavy mist on it as the sun comes up over the pines on the shoreline, the loons calls are echoing down the lake, find your favourite fishing spot...doesn't get much better.
Posted By: BobKay Re: The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 01:53 PM
You closet romantic, you.
Posted By: medic8r Re: The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 02:04 PM
I like flipping through my longboxes full of comic books, appreciating what I have and picking out ones to read. Now I can read them to my five year old as well.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 02:07 PM
Adrian, though I don't fish (sorry RickF!), I have to say that some moments in the kayak when the water in the river is like glass, morning mist, rising sun, etc...should also be on my list!
Posted By: BobKay Re: The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
I like flipping through my longboxes full of comic books, appreciating what I have and picking out ones to read. Now I can read them to my five year old as well.

I SHOULD have known. That cahnges everything.
Posted By: Adrian Re: The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 03:19 PM
I think a "Bazinga" is appropriate here.
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 03:32 PM
My dog waking me up everyday with a kiss in the mouth. lol After that he just lays down on my arms and put his head beside mine. smile
Posted By: medic8r Re: The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
I think a "Bazinga" is appropriate here.

Point of order: appreciating good sitcom writing and acting is also high on my list of favorites things.

Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, 30 Rock, and The Office top the list. Great stuff.
Posted By: Murph Re: The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 03:59 PM
After the most hectic day at work, just a few minutes sitting and staring out at the water does it for me. Works best when it's warm enough to sit outside on the deck. Most often you can hear the waves crashing in on the island and sandbar on the opposing side of the bay. I also have to admit a bit of a silly addiction to the sound of seagulls as I have lived by the water almost my entire life.

If that doesn't work, I head out on said water with the kayak. Guaranteed to relax or exhilarate, depending on the wind and waves. Either way, you forget about work.

Nice to see so many dog references. That certainly would have topped my list as well and hopefully will do so again someday.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The little things in life..... - 04/28/11 06:35 PM
When I come from work and the kids, wife, and dog are out back, the one who's (visibly) happiest to see me back is the dog. She starts yelping and wiggling with joy. Then if my wife releases her, she does a mad dash to wherever I'm standing and alternately leans against my legs and spins around as I try to scruffle her.

One of my favorite ways to be welcomed home.

(In the presence of children, anyway.)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: The little things in life..... - 04/29/11 05:21 AM
Hearing stories from people I care about.
Posted By: SRoode Re: The little things in life..... - 04/29/11 12:53 PM
Any time I get to do anything fun with my kids. We had a basement campout a couple of weeks ago and it was a blast.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1945129837558.2117394.1521871324&l=8378882117
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The little things in life..... - 04/29/11 01:20 PM
That looks like fun, Steve!
Posted By: Adrian Re: The little things in life..... - 04/29/11 02:42 PM
Pac Man AND camping....we have a winner!
Posted By: jakewash Re: The little things in life..... - 04/30/11 04:51 AM
I take great pride and pleasure doing anything with my family, for instance went on a short bike ride around tke community tonight and watched my youngest learn how to switch the gears and squeeze the brakes on his 'new' bike. The bike is a hand-me down from his older brother which he has finally grown into. He has a constant smile on his face when he is riding.
© Axiom Message Boards