Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi Just got a Tilley hat - 05/21/11 04:32 AM
Ordered a Tilley hat and got it from amazon today. Very well built hat, guaranteed for life, and super comfy. Looking forward to putting the hat to good use in Mexico next week!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 05/21/11 01:26 PM
Good type of hat to have if you are outdoors all the time.
Posted By: alan Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 05/22/11 05:08 PM
Some years ago, my first Tilley survived being run over by a Toronto streetcar (trolley). Cleaned up and was as good as new.

The early models were too hot in the summer. I think there are newer models that are made with less heavyweight duck material that should be cooler in hot weather. I haven't checked those out.

I hope your new Tilley works out.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 05/22/11 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: alan
Some years ago, my first Tilley survived being run over by a Toronto streetcar (trolley). Cleaned up and was as good as new.

You were able to get the coal dust from the steam engine out from the folds? grin
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 05/22/11 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Looking forward to putting the hat to good use in Mexico next week!

They make bulletproof ones now?
Posted By: Murph Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 05/26/11 12:29 PM
They are not bulletproof. They just discourage shooters with a decorative ring of Savina peppers.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 05/30/11 12:55 AM
An ex-coworker's wife used to work at the Tilley factory and picked me up a "factory second" that I use for fishing out on the lakes, nice wide brim on it to protect the neck from the sun. I'm not sure if Tilley still makes them in T.O. or whether they went offshore with production...ironically she is Chinese, so she might have lost her job to a, umm, other Chinese.
Posted By: Murph Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 05/31/11 12:26 PM
Seriously though, please bury it in your backyard for a day or two before wearing it. Nothing screams "Hey! It's my first time in the wilderness but I'm an expert because I bought a Tilley and LL Bean clothes", than a perfectly clean, never been wrinkled Tilley.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tilleys (perfect for sea kayaking) and LL Bean makes some good, if overpriced, clothing, but you can always spot the above guys a mile away.

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 05/31/11 01:06 PM
Those are the guys that have a "Honk if you Love a Good Paddling" bumper sticker on their kayaks.
Posted By: Murph Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 05/31/11 07:51 PM
Ha! I guess you could say that I'm an old school sea kayaker. No stickers here and rudders are for little girls and tourists!!! In fact, I was doing it here so long before it became mainstream that I had fishermen sailing up to me in their lobster boats asking me if I was an Eskimo.

My wife actually just "secretly" threw out my old 'Tilley like' but cheaper knock off of a hat that I used because it was now more white than blue and the salt had rotted so many holes in the fabric that she was afraid to wash it anymore.

In hind sight, had I bought a Tilley, I'd be trading it in for a new one for free if it developed holes.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 05/31/11 08:58 PM
I've only ever seen rudders on divorce kayaks (otherwise known as tandem kayaks).

On the other hand, a rudder could be useful if your stroke is much harder on one side than the other -- or if you've only got one arm.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/01/11 12:14 AM
I've heard that term about tandem kayaks before. Like every time tandem kayaks get brought up.

Speaking of kayaks, does anyone have any experience with building one? Pygmy Boats offer kits that have caught my eye and look relatively easy to build.
Posted By: Murph Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/01/11 12:31 PM
I have never built one. I assisted a couple of evenings on my neighbors cedar strip. Cedar strip kayaks take true dedication but are a work of art when finished. Almost too nice to use but they work great.

I have seen lots of friends "Stitch and Glue" constructions like the Pygmy kits. Despite the less than romantic name of this construction style, if done right and a lot of care goes into the details, you actually get a very beautiful wooden boat out of it.

Most I have seen were made via courses that the people took but I have seen at least one Pygmy kit and it was a pretty nice boat. Pygmy have been in the business forever and well respected so I would have confidence in their kits although I have no personal experience.

The only drawback is that buying a kit is kind of like buying a speaker without hearing it first. A kayak choice can be a very personal thing with so many designs, lengths and cockpit fits.

Try to find a kit that will suit your paddling style & intentions.....Day trips vs. camping, big waves vs. flat water or an all-rounder, fits your body type, primary vs. secondary stability, tracking vs. agility, etc.

Do a bit of research into the style and design you want before and you will have a boat that not only is perfect for you but you will have made it yourself and will look great. Wooden boats are always eye catching and everybody always comes closer to check them out.

Posted By: Murph Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/01/11 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I've only ever seen rudders on divorce kayaks (otherwise known as tandem kayaks).

On the other hand, a rudder could be useful if your stroke is much harder on one side than the other -- or if you've only got one arm.

When the industry first started going mainstream in North America, most everything was longer touring models and rudders were the norm. I suspect builders knew that most of their clientele were new to the sport and most purchases were being made by outfitters and touring companies who were trying to make it as easy as possible for people to get out there. Now, a skeg is certainly more the norm and some have nothing at all.

Pretty much everyone has a stronger stroke on one side or the other. If the look of keeping your strokes evenly timed on each side is important to you (it does look nicer,) then the proper technique is to use a bit more of an outward sweep on one side to balance things up. This is also the best way to negate the effects of a cross wind without losing your pace.

I'm actually not one of those old crusty rubber-booters who frowns on a rudder though. Whatever it takes to get you out there and enjoying yourself is a good thing.

My first boat, (that I could never bring myself to sell or trade)is a 1995 Seaward Quest and it actually has a rudder. However, I never use it. I keep it bungeed down because it's older style mechanism was bad to fling the rudder out if you had to roll. Trying to roll up with this big fin fighting against you is very tough. I keep it in working order though for guests and surprise hurricanes. wink
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/01/11 12:55 PM
Thanks Andrew, I really appreciate the input. I'm looking for a small, all-rounder for day trips. Plus, my car, a two door coupe, won't be able to handle a longer sea kayak on the roof.

It's been too long since I've been paddling--like 15+ years. And even that was with rentals and what not. The itch to get back to it has never left me, though.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/01/11 01:13 PM
Okay, I probably should check out local rentals and get back into it that way. My goal is to have a kayak to go sightseeing with, you know, take the camera out and snap some pics. There is something about being out on the water that is very zen-like.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/01/11 06:43 PM
Wait, wait. There's enough water in one place in Arizona to float a boat?
Posted By: BobKay Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/01/11 10:13 PM
The non-coastal state with the largest per capita boat ownership.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/01/11 11:50 PM
Wait, wait. There's enough water in one place in Arizona to float a boat?

There's my apartment complex pool. It's heated.

But, then again, everything's heated out here.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/01/11 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: BobKay
The non-coastal state with the largest per capita boat ownership.

That's because we are waiting for California to finally fall off into the Pacific. We are mostly beach, already, we just need the ocean.
Posted By: Murph Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/02/11 11:06 AM
I have a friend who manages a Marine Supply business. It changed a couple of years ago but until then the largest boat Show that they would participate in every year was in Las Vegas. From his stories, he certainly encountered a lot of "liquids" but water certainly wasn't one of them.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/02/11 12:20 PM
Check out today's home page for amazon.com. Lots of Tilley hats for sale. I've had a cheaper version of one of these hats for several years. I didn't realize it was a tilley hat. I wear it on sunny days when I mow the yard.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/02/11 12:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
I have a friend who manages a Marine Supply business.
I bet he sells a lot of chewing tobacco.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/02/11 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: alan

The early models were too hot in the summer. I think there are newer models that are made with less heavyweight duck material that should be cooler in hot weather. I haven't checked those out.

I hope your new Tilley works out.

Regards,
Alan

The Tilley hat I got is called the "AirFlo Max" or something along those lines and is made of lightweight cotton with nylon mesh at the top for ventilation. It is quite cool on warm days and I wore it for 8 days while in Mexico and had no problems with heat.
Posted By: Murph Re: Just got a Tilley hat - 06/03/11 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
I have a friend who manages a Marine Supply business.
I bet he sells a lot of chewing tobacco.

Hahah !

Actually, most of his customers are very expensive powerboat customers and lobster fishermen here are some of the wealthiest people around. They have had the odd tough year lately but when I was growing up, having a Dad or Grandfather who would leave you his lobster license was as good as winning a lottery.
© Axiom Message Boards