Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Joe_in_SC It's only hockey - 06/16/11 11:02 PM
What's up with the unrest in Vancouver over a silly hockey game? Nobody even watches it.
Posted By: fhw Re: It's only hockey - 06/17/11 12:16 AM
Hockey is to Canadians what the NFL is to Americans.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: It's only hockey - 06/17/11 12:30 AM
Vancouver should have contacted us here in Buffalo, NY. We know how deal with Championship (professional team) failures. Actually, we're quite good at it.
Posted By: Wid Re: It's only hockey - 06/17/11 12:57 AM
Originally Posted By: R DeVries
Vancouver should have contacted us here in Buffalo, NY. We know how deal with Championship (professional team) failures. Actually, we're quite good at it.

Not as good as Chicago, ever heard of the Chicago Cubs blush
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: It's only hockey - 06/17/11 01:06 AM
The Cubs are amazingly futile, but the Bills actually lost 4 Super Bowls IN A ROW.

Yeah, that business in Vancouver was embarrassing and surprising.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: It's only hockey - 06/17/11 01:20 AM
That was agonizing to watch the Bills do that, and I'm not even a Bills fan.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: It's only hockey - 06/17/11 01:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe_in_Ct
What's up with the unrest in Vancouver over a silly hockey game? Nobody even watches it.

That comment is totally unsuited for a Canadian speaker manufacturers audio forum.
Posted By: fredk Re: It's only hockey - 06/17/11 02:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople

That comment is totally unsuited for a Canadian speaker manufacturers audio forum.

And the images of that drunk guy jumping up and down on a burning car shirtless, his flab bouncing all over the place, was totally unsuited for viewing anywhere, yet they still showed it.

Society really is going all to hell isn't it.
Posted By: Adrian Re: It's only hockey - 06/17/11 12:30 PM
Originally Posted By: fhw
Hockey is to Canadians what the NFL is to Americans.

I would say Hockey is far more important to Canadians than football is to Americans, jmo. As for sports that nobody watches you can put basketball on the top of my list, followed by football.
Posted By: BobKay Re: It's only hockey - 06/17/11 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople

And the images of that drunk guy jumping up and down on a burning car shirtless, his flab bouncing all over the place, was totally unsuited for viewing anywhere, yet they still showed it.

Society really is going all to hell isn't it.

You bet, Fred! There were tons of hotter guys there they could have filmed.
Posted By: BobKay Re: It's only hockey - 06/17/11 01:50 PM
I'd be willing to wager that far more Canadians care passionately about hockey than Americans do about _________________.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: It's only hockey - 06/17/11 02:04 PM
If caring passionately means burning down your city when your team loses, I'm pretty happy about that.

disclaimer: Yes, I know it was a limited, idiotic, non-representative few and that I'm stereotyping. I am making a joke. A bon mot. A jest.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: It's only hockey - 06/17/11 11:44 PM
What troubles me is that the first reaction to a sporting event gone bad is to trash your city and loot merchants who are trying to make the city better. Society surely is going in the wrong direction.
Posted By: fredk Re: It's only hockey - 06/18/11 12:07 AM
On a happier note, a lot of people are turning in vids and pics to help the police.
Posted By: BobKay Re: It's only hockey - 06/18/11 01:34 AM
Jeez, you're all behaving as if you've never seen footage of Eurotrash endings to soccer matches.

They're not pounding property, they're pounding people.

And most of the Euro "houligans" are known to be from the country that you 49th parallel dudes still call, "Mommy."

Gotta admit though, the USA is still #1 when it comes to riots in the developed world. We've had so many, we have to sub-divide them by root cause--unions, race, sports, etc.

On a happier note, The Stanley Cup now resides about 20 minutes from my house-----Boiz!
Posted By: cb919 Re: It's only hockey - 06/18/11 12:27 PM
Originally Posted By: BobKay

On a happier note, The Stanley Cup now resides about 20 minutes from my house-----Boiz!

WAIT - that's closer to me than Vancouver, but it's on the wrong side of the border. Should I be happy or go trash something?!!!??? grin mad
Posted By: BobKay Re: It's only hockey - 06/18/11 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: cb919
Originally Posted By: BobKay

WAIT - that's closer to me than Vancouver, but it's on the wrong side of the border. Should I be happy or go trash something?!!!??? grin mad

I thought you were on the wrong side of the border. Either way, it's now globally considered "Canadian" to trash your town without the need of a G8 summit. Please, feel free.

Seriously, Dan, I don't know why Canada is even in a hockey league with American teams. It'd be like losing the World Series to Japan, or worse, The Dominican Republic.

If we allowed the competition, sooner than later we'd lose.

Or, since we've stolen almost all the available Canadian players, it's be akin to losing an NBA title to Italy, with 75% of the team being Americans.

Put an end to it. Close your borders---both ways.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: It's only hockey - 06/18/11 01:55 PM
Bob, I just noticed your sig line. That's hilarious! I'm sure Ray will agree. laugh
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: It's only hockey - 06/18/11 03:10 PM
I noted that an announcer said there were lots of Canadians rooting for the Bruins because, after all, all but one of the Bruins roster were Canadian.
Posted By: BobKay Re: It's only hockey - 06/18/11 04:22 PM
Indeed! And they all live here--with The Stanley Cup.

Gee, since I really don't care all that much, I guess my Stanley Cup "nya, nya" jokes are just pure a-hole, huh?
Posted By: BobKay Re: It's only hockey - 06/18/11 04:29 PM
St. Sean Guy:
Glad you got a yuk out of it. I'm waiting for Tom to notice. Can we get a Skype thing goin' here?
Posted By: Murph Re: It's only hockey - 06/20/11 12:48 PM
Yes, Hockey is THE sport here in Canada but I don't believe the riots were truly about hockey. Win or lose, the riots would have assuredly happened. Sadly, it seems that any event that is big enough to draw national or international attention has become an excuse for the new global sport of rioting.

The sad part is that these guys are not even true anarchists in the political term. They had no cause. Worldwide, rioting has just become the cool thing to do. They are nothing more than hoodlums and idiots and a second category of drunks who get drawn into the mob mentality. Hockey had nothing to do with this except to provide opportunity.

Perhaps most sad is that we live in one of the most free countries in the world and all this does is create excuses to reduce our freedoms in the end. Large public gatherings will less accepted and even prevented. More hard line tactics will be used, quicker. More street cameras will go up in more places. These people are setting our freedoms backwards, not promoting it.

As for Bruins fans.
There are a lot of them here in Eastern Canada. Probably third to the Leafs and the Canadiens. However, I think it is actually 16 or 17 Canadian players out of a roster of 22 that are Canadian or have dual citizenship. Still a big majority.

We had a hometown boy on the Bruins here in PEI so we will get to see the Cup visit this summer. Well actually, Adam McQuaid is from a town about an hour from me but when your entire province is only 2,194.57 sq miles, everyone is a home town boy!
Posted By: BobKay Re: It's only hockey - 07/19/11 02:46 PM
note to Blue Jay:

You told me that The Stanley Cup would go directly back to the Hall of Fame in Kanada. Well, it's still in the possession of the Bruins.

Each player gets to have it for several days.
Yes, I know, most of them are taking it to show their family and friends in Kanada, but you misled me, you evil hoser.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: It's only hockey - 07/19/11 02:57 PM
Yep, that's true. I totally forgot about that, or I would've mentioned it.
© Axiom Message Boards