Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d Hack by phone now? WTH?? - 09/27/11 10:31 PM
There might be a new scam to be aware of......

I get a phone call today, caller ID notes MB Enterprises along with a phone number. I hear that oh-so friendly chatter you get with telemarketers where you hear a bunch of folks in a room together making phone calls. Some guy with broken English and an Indian accent tells me he is with Microsoft Support and that I have a very serious virus on my computer. He knows this because in his words, my computer told Microsoft as much. He says he is calling to help me fix the problem and asks if I'm at my computer. I ask him again who he is and who he is with. I get an angry response saying "I told you I am with Microsoft Support and I am calling to help you". I just hung up.

Are people really dumb enough to fall for this crap? What's the world coming to......
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Hack by phone now? WTH?? - 09/27/11 10:54 PM
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-786-439-0853

Ayup...
Posted By: RickF Re: Hack by phone now? WTH?? - 09/28/11 12:18 AM
The calls being originated from Miami does not surprise me at all, it was from there where my wife had her banking account hacked into. I liken that place to a third world country.
Posted By: Murph Re: Hack by phone now? WTH?? - 09/28/11 11:44 AM
This one has been active since the spring at least. Maybe longer. It's VERY active. They really seem to pick an area code and leave no number untouched.

If you follow their directions you will receive false instructions that actually open a backdoor in your Windows firewall or your shareware firewall. If you have a 'real' firewall, they tend to hang up. The goal is to get software loaded that will steal your personal information including credit card and personal banking.

First time I hung up but the second time I had some time to kill so I pretended to be following their instructions and pretended to not know what I was doing. I ended up wasting close to 35 minutes or so of his time. When I got bored of leading him on, I told him I was sorry, but I couldn't see how this would help me since I live in the woods and can not get the Internet. He said "What do you mean you do not have the Internet? Why didn't you tell me this?" Then he hung up.

I'm not sure if these guys get paid by the hour or by the number of people they successfully dupe but either way I figured I cut into his profits if only a small bit. He deserved it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Hack by phone now? WTH?? - 09/28/11 11:48 AM
Got something from Florida last night that purported to be Citibank, calling about our visa cards. We don't have Citibank Visa.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Hack by phone now? WTH?? - 09/28/11 03:59 PM
These people need to be covered in honey and tied to a stake in fire ant country. sonsabitches....
Posted By: Ajax Re: Hack by phone now? WTH?? - 09/28/11 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: michael_d
These people need to be covered in honey and tied to a stake in fire ant country. sonsabitches....

I'll second that! mad
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Hack by phone now? WTH?? - 09/28/11 11:15 PM
Heh. I listened to the message again, and I think it might actually be legit--for the former owner of the phone number.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Hack by phone now? WTH?? - 09/29/11 12:28 AM
Crap so that email I got from someone in Africa wanting to give me millions because they are sick and need someone to care for their fortune is B S?
Posted By: BobKay Re: Hack by phone now? WTH?? - 09/29/11 11:58 AM
There's another current scam where you get a phone call from the tel co, cable, credit card, etc. They leave a "toll-free" # to call them back, which makes them seem more legit. A call to that # will land on your phoe bill for the likes of about $200.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Hack by phone now? WTH?? - 09/29/11 11:59 AM
Ah, that could be what this is, since they did give a phone number instead of saying "Call the number on the back of your card."
© Axiom Message Boards