Axiom Home Page
Last week I was driving along Upper James, a street on Hamilton “mountain” known for endless road construction, far too many curb side advertising signs and a large collection of car dealers who have fled the downtown core.

I was passing by Bay King Chrysler when I noted a red Corvette convertible parked on the side. I pulled in and had a quick look at the car. Within seconds a rarity appeared, a salesman who had a pleasant demeanour and actually seemed to know something about the product he was selling.

It was a 2007, low mileage, black top, black interior, turns out it was a US model. He thought the car had been brought into Canada by a Chevy dealer (name not revealed to protect the incompetent) . Now this Chevy dealer was only about a kilometre away so I got the VIN number and headed off the see if they could give me any background information on the car.

I pulled into the Chevy dealers used car lot and went into their office in search of information. Upon hearing my story they all bleated “why are you going to a Chrysler dealer for a Corvette?"

I quickly pointed out it was because:
A) They had one for sale
B) When I was at their lot three months ago, they had nothing in the way of used Corvettes, a quick look around revealed they still didn’t

Suddenly there was a flash of white light and out of the glare appeared their oldest, most trusted Grand Imperial Salesmeister.

“Hello” his voice boomed, I am here to tell you that on this coming Saturday, we will be getting a 2004 Corvette as a trade in on a Cadillac. It’s only been driven 3,000 km per year, it’s white on red with a black top, it has always been maintained at a dealership, it has never been in an accident, or snow, and rarely rain, and it is owned by a doctor.

At this point he levitated back into office, the other sales people stopped curtseying, and one of them got my name, numerous phone numbers and internet email address with the promise to call me on Saturday as I had made it very plain I would like to see the car and meet the owner.

Well as you can imagine Saturday came and went with no contact from them at all. It was our Thanksgiving weekend so I waited until Tuesday to call them.

“Oh yes, the Corvette” the junior sales flunky replied, he didn’t come in on Saturday, he’s coming in on Wednesday or perhaps Thursday. With these encouraging words ringing in my ear I decided to complete the perfect day by taking partially full paint cans (which the previous home owner had left for us, even though the contents had nothing in common with the paint that was actually on our walls) to the dump in Dundas (by coincidence the same town that the white Corvette owner lived in).

On the way back I had to go to the bank and on the way passed by Village Auto in Ancaster.

Now I’ve known the owner for a few years, he always has interesting cars on his lot, and I can’t go by without turning my head and having a quick look.

What did I see? Well a white C5 Corvette with black top. “Hmmm” says I, I’ll check this out when I come back.

On the way back I pulled into the lot and went over to read the sign, One owner, 24,000km 2004,. “Hmmm” I said to myself, that’s about 3,000km per year, the colours are correct, could it be the same car?

Went inside to talk to them and to make a really long story not much shorter , I have to tell you that it was the same car. Turns out the doctor bought a Lincoln instead and didn’t tell the Chevy dealer. Village Auto guys know the Ford dealer and when he called them up and described the car they said they would take it. They had only had it on their lot for 2 hours when I showed up. In another attempt to end my ramblings I will say within 30 minutes I bought it, I love it, I love the V8 sound (it was what my neighbourhood needed). Sadly it’s a summer car and is presently asleep in the garage until I wake it (her?) up next spring.

Oh yes photos…….

Congratulations, Wayne. Totally, totally awesome.

And MAN....am I envious!

Enjoy it, my friend!
Posted By: J. B. Re: Red, White and Black, have I gone insane? - 10/31/11 06:02 PM
i'd like to be insane like you!
Well lucky you. Enjoy, sir smile!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Red, White and Black, have I gone insane? - 10/31/11 06:25 PM
It appears to me that you have acquired an automobile that goes vroom-zoom. I believe congratulations are in order.
Nice!
Thanks for the comments, I currently am dreaming of spring and listening to the contractors ripping out the old ceramic tiles and making the house look like one big construction zone.
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Congratulations, Wayne. Totally, totally awesome.

And MAN....am I envious!

Enjoy it, my friend!

Mark is an under-rated word-meister.

I'm very happy for you, Wayne!

And - although I certainly recognize that your weather is quite a bit more extreme than mine - I must put in a plug for "Drive it when you want to!"

I know, it's all new and shiny and hardly been used and all that. But what's the point in having the thing unless you enjoy it? Now, maybe it's just as satisfying for you to just "have it" in the garage, but I should think that driving it would be somewhat more visceral.

I have a friend with a similar Vette, and his firm "use it!" position on the matter has heavily influenced my own driving habits. It's not an "investment", it's not an "appliance", it's a Fun Machine.

Wow. Great Car!
Wayne, TOTALLY tongue in cheek: "What? They didn't have yellow?"
Great car; great story!

Thanks for sharing!

Between you, Tom, MichaelD, et al, I've got some catching up to do. You inspire me.
I just came back from RI where I picked up my Dad's 2004 truck to borrow for a couple of weeks.

Envy me, too JP. Envy me, too!

{{Please insert your own evil laugh here, you do it better than I!}}
Posted By: Ajax Re: Red, White and Black, have I gone insane? - 10/31/11 10:16 PM
WOW Wayne. Just WOW! smile
Jack, now YOU have to get one too! smile
Posted By: onn Re: Red, White and Black, have I gone insane? - 10/31/11 11:18 PM
VERT NICE Wayne!
Did you make a stop by the Chevy dealer with the Vette?
That is awesome, Wayne! Congrats!!!

Like Tom said, drive it NOW!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Red, White and Black, have I gone insane? - 11/01/11 01:21 AM
Very good, Wayne; enjoy. But "summer car"? As Tom commented, no need to limit your enjoyment to that extent. Although they don't turn Corvettes into snowplows, so-called "all season"(not quite)tires are available in sizes for your Corvette and are fine in the cold or even light snow. Continental and Michelin have very good ones available.
Nice purchase Wayne, try to enjoy it every day. I hope to be able to enjoy a car such as that some day.
With all the house renovation going on I don't really have the time or the opportunity (dumpster in driveway) to drive the car.

The summer only tires tend to turn to solid rubber when the temps get to 6c or less so, not a good feeling for spirited driving.

However next spring as soon as possible it goes back on the road, summer only was my error as obviously it will be everything but winter.

And being a realist, I do realize that my window of opportunity for enjoying this car is not as large as I would like. I will be racking on the miles in 2012.

Cheers
Posted By: Murph Re: Red, White and Black, have I gone insane? - 11/01/11 11:48 AM
Beautiful Wayne!! Vettes have always been my favorite car outside of the impossibly priced genre.

I agree. Get some good all seasons (just in case) and taker for a rip or two when the fall weather is nice. I would assume you do not have to suffer through the "salt on the roads" thing we do here. No snow or ice here yet but soon the salt trucks will be out making the roads safe to drive but slowly destroying our vehicles from the bottom up.
Posted By: RickF Re: Red, White and Black, have I gone insane? - 11/01/11 12:37 PM
Gorgeous Vette Wayne!
I like Vettes. The closest I ever came to one was an Opal GT back in 1972. Not quite the same. Maybe one of these days before I'm too old to enjoy it.

Enjoy it. I'll be drooling in secret.
Originally Posted By: onn
VERT NICE Wayne!
Did you make a stop by the Chevy dealer with the Vette?

I thought about that, it would have been fun, but as the original owner didn't want to deal with them, and I was less than impressed by their actions, I haven't.

Oh what the hell, yeah I'll be back there... smile
Wayne -

If you can drive it, drive it. I'd drive mine every day if I lived somewhere that I could, but I don't so it's not very often I get to go for a blast. (I just put the Z up on blocks for the winter yesterday.) I've researched tires quite a bit. I don't want to give up performance, but I would like a tire that's a bit more low temp and moisture friendly than the ones I have now (Nitto NT05's). At temps under 50F, or if there is any rain / moisture on the road, I have to be very careful or I'm leaving the road. My research has lead me to the Nitto Invo's. They have excellent performance ratings, but yet good performance at temps as cold as 35F and they perform well in the rain too. You might want to give them a look. If you are running the GY run-craps, anything you put on that car will be better. Another thing to be aware of is the wheel design. If you get an urge to buy aftermarket wheels, avoid three piece wheels, as they tend to hold water in the barrel and throw the balance off. Go with mono blocks as they shed water. I have a set of high dollar three piece wheels that make driving down right terrifying when it's raining.
Posted By: fredk Re: Red, White and Black, have I gone insane? - 11/01/11 11:59 PM
I checked the forecast. Its +14 for tomorrow. Hope you called to get the dumpster moved!
Posted By: cb919 Re: Red, White and Black, have I gone insane? - 11/02/11 12:14 AM
Very nice. That red interior is eye catching!

I have the good fortune of my father in law owning a 2007 C6 convertible. I get to have the grins on occasion without the price! I liked vettes but was never a fan until I got to experience his. I was amazed how good it can be as a civilized commuter car if you can resist putting your foot down - but then be a beast the next second if you so choose.

Enjoy the new wheels!
© Axiom Message Boards