Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV Hard drive cloning - 12/23/11 05:08 PM
What software would you recommend for cloning one hard drive directly to another? I'm replacing the 1 TB drives in my system with 2 TB drives. One contains my media and documents while the other contains my games. I had the free edition of Macrium Reflect already on my computer from before, but it seems like I can only clone to an image, then restore the image, as opposed to cloning directly from disk-to-disk. I'm open to suggestions!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Hard drive cloning - 12/23/11 05:26 PM
I've used Acronis True Image once. It functioned.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Hard drive cloning - 12/23/11 05:37 PM
you can get Acronis true image free on the Western Digital site; check first if it can do what you want, as i think it's not the full version.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Hard drive cloning - 12/23/11 06:35 PM
I've never heard of hard drive cloning, outside of a Raid 1, which I currently use with two 1 TB drives. It was available on the motherboard I installed and has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Hard drive cloning - 12/24/11 07:00 AM
I've been used Acronis for a year and it has worked for me every time use it.
Posted By: CV Re: Hard drive cloning - 12/24/11 09:29 AM
Oh, I meant to respond to this. J.B., thanks for the heads-up on the WD Edition of Acronis True Image. It's doing what I want. I've cloned one drive, and I'll start the other when I'm done with my system tonight.
Posted By: CV Re: Hard drive cloning - 12/24/11 07:22 PM
New hard drives are in and seem to be doing fine. Old hard drives are out. I had a new hard drive dock to help with the process, too:

Thermaltake BlacX Duet 5G ST0022U ABS Pl... Station, Black

I had a single-drive eSATA version but felt like upgrading to a dual-drive. This one uses USB 3.0. I didn't actually time it, but I think it took like 4-5 hours per drive. One drive had ~600 gigs on it, and the other had ~800 gigs.
© Axiom Message Boards