Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/28/12 04:52 PM
OK, since there have been several threads regarding the 80s, I have a question for those who grew up in the 70s.

A friend and I always used to play with these cars...maybe 8~10" long... that had something of a flywheel "tire" in the middle of them. You inserted a long, toothed plastic strip into the car where it would engage toothed gears and the flywheel, and with a T-handle on top of the strip, pull it up and out of the car fast... making the flywheel spin.

I remember that there were quite a few cars available, and they would easily go hundreds of feet on a straight sidewalk or in the road.

Anyone play with those as a kid and remember the name of them?

I was also into Hot Wheels Sizzlers and had a couple of different Fat Track setups.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/28/12 05:01 PM
I loved those too. I had motorcycle versions too.

The other toy from that time period that I loved were the Vertiberd helicopters. I had the coastguard cutter and the police one.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/28/12 05:04 PM
I'll answer myself... It was including the "flywheel" word that made Google successful.

That car line was called SST and I had totally forgotten that there was a variation on them called Smash Up Derby.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/28/12 05:19 PM
Yup, I had those too Mark, I think they were called SSP(super sonic power) Racers.You could crash them and parts would fly off,put them back on and do it again.Ahh,those were the days.
Posted By: fredk Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/28/12 06:25 PM
I lived through the '70s, but I don't remember growing up.

I do recall Smash up derby now that you mention it.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/28/12 07:01 PM
Had those SSP racers and I have the recently released Sizzlers which I bought for my then 4 year old son as a Christmas present about 4years ago.
Posted By: avjunkee Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/28/12 08:53 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I'll answer myself... It was including the "flywheel" word that made Google successful.

That car line was called SST and I had totally forgotten that there was a variation on them called Smash Up Derby.

Never actually had them, but always wanted one because of those commercials.

It's like you transported me back in time smile
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/29/12 02:48 PM
I remember very well, and played with these things often...now where did I put them? hmmmm
Posted By: Wid Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/29/12 03:46 PM
I remember them through the smoke induced haze of the 70s smile
Posted By: Adrian Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/29/12 05:31 PM
I remember having a couple of SST's. They weren't the Smash-Up Derby ones but I DO remember a couple of parts flying off them. I guess that happens when you fire them over driveway curbs and stuff.

Oh...remember the plastic gear-pull thingy used to get stripped after a while?
Posted By: SBrown Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/29/12 06:46 PM
SSP's not SST smile
Posted By: CV Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/29/12 07:06 PM
My sister was just mentioning going to the Museum of Flight and seeing a Concorde SST.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/29/12 11:40 PM
Most of my childhood memories are from late 50's to early and mid 60's. That was the era of the Vrroom motors that kids mounted on their bicycle. Made them sound like motorcycles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS7kd7-VA6c

http://oldroads.com/arch/pic1_837.html
Posted By: SBrown Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/29/12 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
My sister was just mentioning going to the Museum of Flight and seeing a Concorde SST.

SuperSonic Transport
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/29/12 11:55 PM
I was born in the 70's... Don't remember much of it. I do, honestly, remember Star Wars in '77, but that is it...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/30/12 12:04 AM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Most of my childhood memories are from late 50's to early and mid 60's. That was the era of the Vrroom motors that kids mounted on their bicycle. Made them sound like motorcycles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS7kd7-VA6c

http://oldroads.com/arch/pic1_837.html

We used playing cards in the spokes....
Posted By: RickF Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/30/12 12:12 AM
I remember the playing cards in the spokes, we probably tore up some cards that would have been worth some money these days.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/30/12 12:15 AM
That's right Rick...all our hockey cards. shocked
Posted By: RickF Re: Those who grew up in the 70s... - 01/30/12 12:24 AM
Originally Posted By: SBrown
That's right Rick...all our hockey cards. shocked

If we only knew! LOL
© Axiom Message Boards